• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by Last_Valk_Standing on topic Re:ROBOTECH: Modelers Resource Center

Hey Mark Welcome back :D

Once again great tip!
Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL
Huge fan of Attention On Deck website.

Official Reporter for MNN (Macross News Network LOL)
14 years 8 months ago #5397

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Mark-Warlock
  • Mark-Warlock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Mark-Warlock on topic Re:ROBOTECH: Modelers Resource Center: TIP

LVS

Thanks for the warm reception....

Now...

Here's something that many of us may not have considered……

For many modeling is a fun hobby that can not only serve as recreation, but also as a sort of therapy from the daily grind. Often as we go about our tasks of gluing, filling, sanding, grinding, priming, and painting, we often do not consider the impact that our beloved hobby can have on the environment. It is important for us all to remember how to dispose of our waste materials in the proper fashion.

Now if you are a kit basher or customizers, like I am at times, then you know that you will probably never throw away to many scrap pieces as they can be used somewhere along the way, but for those out there who are only beginning to scratch the surface, please remember that when you are finished using your thinners and cleaners dispose of them in the proper manner. Remember: Never pour used paint thinner or air brush cleaner down the sink. Sure it may just be a little bit, but it all adds up in the end. It is best to pour the used liquid in a suitable storage container until enough is collected to take to a proper disposal center. Many communities will also have a special day set aside to collect these kinds of liquids. Check your local community website for these days. If your community doesn't offer one yet then perhaps bring it to their attention.

Also, if you are using spray paints and air brushes it is a good idea to purchase or even build a simple spray booth with a small fan and filter to help keep over spray from escaping. It may not be a lot, but even a simple card board box with a house filter and a small computer fan can go a long way to helping keep out air breathable.

We should all remember that our hobby should not only be enjoyable, but also safe and offer as few damaging side effects for our environment.

Now I'm no saint... and I don't pretend to be one... nor am I one of those tree huggers, but a little common sense in the end will help us all.

Thank you again for your time,

Happy modeling

Mark
A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am I or are the others crazy? - Albert Einstein

Find Mark Warlock now on Facebook.
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by Mark-Warlock.
14 years 8 months ago #5517

Replied by Iceblue106 on topic Re:ROBOTECH: Modelers Resource Center: TIP

Hello Mark,

I just wanted to thank you for voicing your ideas about modeling techniques and such. I too am a Kit basher/customizer but it has been an on and off hobby for me. I have to admit that sadly i never gave much thought to the mini-paint booth idea and am glad that you have mentioned it. I didn't consider the quantity i paint as a big deal but after reading your idea it made something click in my head that even though it is only a little amount of spray, it is still contributing to the demise of our air supply.I do however dispose of the waste in the proper manner at our local recycling site which is strange because you would think that it would make something click about the spray painting/ air brushing. So i guess i am writing this not only to pic your brain for ideas in the future of modeling, but i am also extending my thanks for opening my eyes a little wider.:)
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger" quote by Friedrich Nietzsche
14 years 8 months ago #5518

• Mark-Warlock
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer

Replied by Mark-Warlock on topic Re:ROBOTECH: Modelers Resource Center

ICEBLUE

Thank you for your reply. I'm glad to know that this little thread is helping out.

Here's a little helpful tip that comes in handy when using super glue and accelerator...

Cover your work area with wax paper.. that way if any super glue spills it is easily removed once it dries. This comes in hand particularly when assembling tank tracks. You can lay the tracks on the wax paper while you are assembling them and you don't have to worry about gluing the tracks to your work bench. Once it’s dry just peel away the paper.

Thanks again to everyone who checks this little thread out. I hope you are enjoying it and trying out new things on your projects.

And as always, Thank you for your time.

Mark
A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am I or are the others crazy? - Albert Einstein

14 years 7 months ago #5608

• Jennifran
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • walk a mile in my shoes.

Replied by Jennifran on topic Re:ROBOTECH: Modelers Resource Center

wow. I love to look at the stuff the modelers do but i don't think i'd ever have the patience to actually put them together. All of you have my respect lol!
Why should I not persue all that makes me happy? It is my life after all!

My senior Quote from a million yrs ago.
14 years 7 months ago #5625

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:ROBOTECH: Modelers Resource Center

Thanks again to everyone who checks this little thread out. I hope you are enjoying it and trying out new things on your projects.

NICE TIPS.

MY MAJOR PROBLEM IS PAINTING :(
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 7 months ago #5639

• Mark-Warlock
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer

wow. I love to look at the stuff the modelers do but i don't think i'd ever have the patience to actually put them together. All of you have my respect lol!

JENNIFRAN

Don't be discouraged... give them a try. If you are worried about have the patience then start with the very basic snap kits... They are easier to work with for the beginners and allow you to get the feel for it. Give it a try... Don't be afraid. You just might find you're good at it.

MEMO

What kind of problems are you having? Post some of your issues and maybe I or someone in our community can give you a few pointers to help you out.

Be sure to list the types and brands of primers and paints, method you are using, and anything relevant. Give as much information as possible will help. Sometimes it is as simple as technique...

14 years 7 months ago #5718

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by Last_Valk_Standing on topic Re:ROBOTECH: Modelers Resource Center

yeah i was about to say myself primeing is the big thing most modelers forget to do. soo important.
Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL
Huge fan of Attention On Deck website.

Official Reporter for MNN (Macross News Network LOL)
14 years 7 months ago #5747

• Mark-Warlock
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer

LVS

You are absolutely right... Priming your model the right way and with the correct primer for the paint you are using can make a huge difference in how your final paint job turns out.

Here are a few basic tips to help you out... I'm sure others will add on to this as well.

First off before you begin to primer the kit you want to make sure to clean the plastic first. You don't any finger oil residue or any release agent that may be left from the manufacturing process left on the plastic. Be sure to wash your kit with a mild soap and water solution and let it air dry. I recommend using cheap throw away gloves when handling after it’s dried to help prevent new dirt and oil from sticking.

If you have a part that is hollow and don't want to risk filling it with water then I recommend using a "plastic prep" sold at hobby stores or even simple rubbing alcohol.

A clean, lint free surface is an essential foundation to a great paint job.

Now I say all that under the assumption that you have allowed any glues or fillers to dry and cure properly first.

Now when you begin you want to make sure that you are not mixing types. For instance you don't want to use an Enamel primer under Acrylic paints or vise versa. Enamel primers and paints cure at different rates then acrylics. So they may continue "gassing" out after you put the color coats on. This will seriously affect the paint being laid over.

You also want to make sure you follow the paint instructions regarding curing times. If you try and apply a second coat too soon you can end up with peeling paint because the second coat may begin to attack the first coat.

I tend to error on the side of caution when I prime and paint. So if the instructions say to allow 7 days for total cure... I wait 8 days.

There is a technique for using spray can paint so be sure you test yourself on a scrap kit before you begin on an expensive one.

Be sure and prep your paint before you start... Yes, I said prep your paint....

The paint can will tell you to shake your can for a certain amount of time... be sure you do that... As simple as it sounds its really something that some people over look and don't do enough of. You want the paint to be well mixed before you begin to spray....

If you want a nice smooth application... I recommend warming the can slightly. It doesn't take much... a few minutes in a pale of hot water will warm the paint just fine. Warm paint tends to on a little smoother, but also will set and dry a little faster. [NOTE: DON'T over do it! Never use a hot plate or open flame to warm the can! Hate to say it, but I just know that there will be someone out there that will pull a Tim "The Toolman" Taylor and blow themselves up.]

When you paint be sure to follow the instructions on the can. Hold the can about 6 to 8 inches or so from your work surface. Always start off of the model surface across in an even line and then off the surface from left to right in a steady even pace. Never stop in the middle of a stroke or go too slow. This will lead to runs in the paint and later "fish eyes" as it dries.

Once you master these basics you will find that you will come out with nice durable finishes that will require less polishing out.

These are just a few basic tips... I could sit and type for hours and load this post down with all kinds of painting stuff... but I don't have all night and I am sure we all have lives to be living. At the very least it will give you guys something to think about and work on.

As always remember to test new techniques on a scrap kit or scrap plastic unti you are confident enough to use them on an expensive kit.

And again as always have fun...

Thank you for your time,

Mark

Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by Mark-Warlock.
14 years 7 months ago #5767

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:ROBOTECH: Modelers Resource Center

What kind of problems are you having? Post some of your issues and maybe I or someone in our community can give you a few pointers to help you out.

YOU JUST MADE ME SEE THE LIGHT WITH YOUR NOTES. NOW I UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN BY HOW TO USE THE PAINT.

WOW..
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 7 months ago #5775

Time to create page: 0.561 seconds