ROBOTECH: Modelers Resource Center

• Towgrin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Towgrin on topic Re:ROBOTECH: Modelers Resource Center

blackconvoy_D01 wrote:

Towgrin wrote:

blackconvoy_D01 wrote:

Got a new one to tackle and I need help. I've recently gotten an aoshima legioss, and I dare not open the hands. In fact I'm looking to replace them outright. I have the replacement hands, how do I remove the old ones?

I've been able to remove the parts of the Legioss arm section, and although possible, it isn't easy. I used a doubled up exacto knife, and soaked the items in a mix of Pinesol and slightly less than boiled lemon juice to remove the globs of glue inside of it. It takes time, and if you're going to break any pieces, do it from the base pieces and not the smaller parts. That worked for me, and if you try it, I hope it works for you. Not all Legioss were the same, and not all used the same amount of glue. The trick is using slow amounts of pressure and ease into stressing apart the glued pieces. If anyone else has any suggestions that are better, I'm sure there's something out there, but that's what I used to brittle the glue and make it able to split from that section.

Hi towgrin,

Thanks for that advice. Before I give it a shot let me ask, did that solution you used damage the colors to the toy?

The Pinesol in the solution will take out painted colors only. It's the one drawback to the solution. There are other things out there like clue remover, but it eats the plastic. Between losing paint, which can be put back on, and having to bondo and putty the plastic (if possible), I chose the lesser of the two evils. You could always try hot water for several days, it is a universal solvent.
13 years 6 months ago #13719

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• blackconvoy_D01
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by blackconvoy_D01 on topic Re:ROBOTECH: Modelers Resource Center

Towgrin wrote:

blackconvoy_D01 wrote:

Towgrin wrote:

blackconvoy_D01 wrote:

Got a new one to tackle and I need help. I've recently gotten an aoshima legioss, and I dare not open the hands. In fact I'm looking to replace them outright. I have the replacement hands, how do I remove the old ones?

I've been able to remove the parts of the Legioss arm section, and although possible, it isn't easy. I used a doubled up exacto knife, and soaked the items in a mix of Pinesol and slightly less than boiled lemon juice to remove the globs of glue inside of it. It takes time, and if you're going to break any pieces, do it from the base pieces and not the smaller parts. That worked for me, and if you try it, I hope it works for you. Not all Legioss were the same, and not all used the same amount of glue. The trick is using slow amounts of pressure and ease into stressing apart the glued pieces. If anyone else has any suggestions that are better, I'm sure there's something out there, but that's what I used to brittle the glue and make it able to split from that section.

Hi towgrin,

Thanks for that advice. Before I give it a shot let me ask, did that solution you used damage the colors to the toy?

The Pinesol in the solution will take out painted colors only. It's the one drawback to the solution. There are other things out there like clue remover, but it eats the plastic. Between losing paint, which can be put back on, and having to bondo and putty the plastic (if possible), I chose the lesser of the two evils. You could always try hot water for several days, it is a universal solvent.

I like the hot water idea. Id prefer not to paint because in sc there aren't a lot of hobby shops to get decent matching colors (went through that with my mpc strike cannon). Thanks again for the tips.
My appreciation pics page:
www.flickr.com/photos/26350372@N04/
13 years 6 months ago #13721

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.440 seconds