Thomas Pynchon

• Gubaba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Thomas Pynchon was created by Gubaba

I've been rereading his complete works recently, and finding it stunning (once again). Any other fans here for him...?
11 years 8 months ago #19279

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Thoth-Amon on topic Re: Thomas Pynchon

I never even heard of him until this post. I did a Google search and read some stuff about him online. Are his his books "dated" you know can you tell that the one book was written in the 1960's? Looks like he is quite an accomplished writer.
11 years 8 months ago #19288

• Gubaba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: Thomas Pynchon

Thoth Amon wrote:

I never even heard of him until this post. I did a Google search and read some stuff about him online. Are his his books "dated" you know can you tell that the one book was written in the 1960's? Looks like he is quite an accomplished writer.

I guess it depends on what you mean...two of his books (The Crying of Lot 49 (from 1966) and Inherent Vice from 2010)) are set in the sixties or early seventies, so yes...but it don't think it detracts from them....it's just the setting.

Primarily, I think of him as an historical writer: V (which is probably the best book of his to start with) covers a huge span of history from 1899 to 1956. Gravity's Rainbow (which is probably his best, but also most difficult book) is set mostly during WWII. Mason & Dixon happens in the 1760s.

Also, all of his books kinda fit together into a loose series...characters and locations from one will pop up in another, or certain family trees will be traced over the course of a couple of books.

But yeah...he's a pretty amazing writer, over all. DEFINITELY worth a read. And several rereads.
11 years 8 months ago #19296

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Thoth-Amon on topic Re: Thomas Pynchon

I'm currently reading 3 books. Frail by Joan Frances Turner it is the second book from her. Her first was Dust. I couldn't put Dust down it was that good. The opening lines in Dust was "My right arm fell off today. Lucky for me, I'm left-handed." how can you go wrong with a line like that? ;)

I am also re-reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman this is the book I judge all others to one of the best in my opinion.

The third is The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett I'm not sure about this series yet. It is taking me some time to get "into" the story.

I think I might try a book from Pynchon thanks for the lead.
11 years 8 months ago #19305

Time to create page: 0.253 seconds