Remastered but with original Sound?

• Thank you received: 0

Remastered but with original Sound? was created by TheElf

I am continually perplexed by some of the decisions to remaster sound effects in the "Remastered" version of RT. Are any of the new rehashes remastered cells with the original sound?

Thanks

~Elf
11 years 10 months ago #18665

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Remastered but with original Sound?

TheElf wrote:

Are any of the new rehashes remastered cells with the original sound?

NO.

DON'T LIKE IT MYSELF.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
11 years 10 months ago #18666

Replied by TheElf on topic Re: Remastered but with original Sound?

This is sad and baffling for me. I like the idea of remastering the video, but I really dislike the new and improved sounds. In partiuclar, one of my favorite moments is a scene in Masters where the crew is trapped on the Mothership by the Invid-Fighters and a Battle alarm is sounding. THe original effect gave a real sense of foreboding and dread. I watched that episode remastered last night for the first time and the new sound is extremely annoying and totally ruins that scene for me know.

Sad...
11 years 10 months ago #18668

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re: Remastered but with original Sound?

Tommy recommends the following with the A+E sets:

* For those of you who prefer the older mono sound effects over the 5.1 mix, audio engineer Bob LaCivita has recommended turning down all the left/right/surround channels on your 5.1 surround tuner and leaving on only the center channel. For a little more "impact" to the playback, you can optionally leave on the subwoofer channel.

They essentially put all of their eggs in one basket, remastered & extended animation with new soundtrack mix, take it or leave it. To create a faithful remaster would mean (re)editing the animation a second time and remastering one or both of the 1980's tv soundtracks or recreating the soundtrack by mixing the recovered and restored audio tracks.

Fans have been asking for a faithful remaster since Legacy was first announced and a HD/Bluray set for about half a decade now. Either they haven't heard from enough fans on this topic, is too cost prohibitive by HG's standards, or they just don't care.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
11 years 10 months ago #18669

rtsurfer wrote:

Fans have been asking for a faithful remaster since Legacy was first announced and a HD/Bluray set for about half a decade now. Either they haven't heard from enough fans on this topic, is too cost prohibitive by HG's standards, or they just don't care.

TOMMY SAID IT'S TO EXPENSIVE RIGHT NOW.

AT CONS PANELS QUESTIONS ARE ASKED AND RESPONSE IS THE SAME ALL THE TIME. THAT IT ALL BOILS TO COST.
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
11 years 10 months ago #18675

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

rtsurfer wrote:

TOMMY SAID IT'S TO EXPENSIVE RIGHT NOW.

AT CONS PANELS QUESTIONS ARE ASKED AND RESPONSE IS THE SAME ALL THE TIME. THAT IT ALL BOILS TO COST.

Yeah, I know what Tommy has said:

* There are challenges to transferring from the original film reels to HD, one being that the footage was originally filmed in 16mm, not 35mm, so the materials have much more grain which would be pronounced in HD resolution. Therefore, this is something we're still working on -- the ideal is for the restoration technology to improve and costs to come down to hit a sweet spot for consumers.

I don't recall during which interview/con but Tommy said he had tried doing a HD transfer of the tv series at HG and it apparently wasn't successful. Why don't they hire someone who knows what they're doing. I know they have claimed the process is too expensive but according to services listed online it would be less than $1000 per episode.
If there is noticeable noise/grain after the company cleans, transfers, restores and corrects the animation, a number of programs and plugins are available for about $100 that claim to be very effective at removing grain from video.
They should still have most of the audio elements in a restored condition, so it would mainly take a technician and studio time to replace the original sound fx and remix the soundtrack.
Not only that but I wonder why they can't use the remastered prints to give them better source material. Granted this route would add to the cost for a technician to remove the extra animation they left in the episodes during the extended edition edit.

When Legacy was announced we ask why we couldn't get a restored/remastered release, were told about the same thing as now with blu ray. Not long after there was a remastered SDF Macross set and within a couple of years remastered-extended Robotech. It's funny, I saw where SDF Macross was coming out in remastered-HD on Blu ray. History repeating itself?

11 years 10 months ago #18682

rtsurfer wrote:

I saw where SDF Macross was coming out in remastered-HD on Blu ray. History repeating itself?

AND WHAT IS THE COST FOR SAID SDF MACROSS REMASTERED-HD ON BLU RAY?
11 years 10 months ago #18684

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

rtsurfer wrote:

I saw where SDF Macross was coming out in remastered-HD on Blu ray. History repeating itself?

It's relatively expensive, about $500. IINM Anime sets in general and especially in Japan tend to run a bit higher than NAmer tv series sets.
For example, IIRC The standard definition releases of SDF Macross were listed at higher prices than the Macross Saga as part of the Robotech Legacy sets.

I believe the going rate in NAmer right now is about $90 per season set (older series are approx 24 episodes) for remastered/restored HD releases in Blu ray. That should make Robotech (85 episodes or 3 1/2 seasons) about $320 srp. According to Amazon, the list price for Robotech Legacy was $44.98 (per 3 disc set [2 + 1extra]) x7 = $314.86. If a Blu ray release isn't marked up too much it shouldn't be much more than what fans were ask to pay for Legacy.

Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by rtsurfer.
11 years 10 months ago #18689

rtsurfer wrote:

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

rtsurfer wrote:

It's relatively expensive, about $500. IINM Anime sets in general and especially in Japan tend to run a bit higher than NAmer tv series sets.
For example, IIRC The standard definition releases of SDF Macross were listed at higher prices than the Macross Saga as part of the Robotech Legacy sets.

I believe the going rate in NAmer right now is about $90 per season set (older series are approx 24 episodes) for remastered/restored HD releases in Blu ray. That should make Robotech (85 episodes or 3 1/2 seasons) about $320 srp. According to Amazon, the list price for Robotech Legacy was $44.98 (per 3 disc set [2 + 1extra]) x7 = $314.86. If a Blu ray release isn't marked up too much it shouldn't be much more than what fans were ask to pay for Legacy.

THANKS RTSURFER..

OVER 500? HECK NO! AND NOT EVEN IN A GOOD ECONOMY FOR ME WOULD I BUY THIS. EVEN IF IT WAS DONE FOR ROBOTECH IN ITSELF. I CAN SEE THE CHINESE KNOCK OFFS ALREADY AT MAYBE 100 DLRS.

TOP PAY WOULD BE 150 DLRS FOR THE WHOLE SERIES, AND YEAH I'M DREAMING IF IT COMES TO THAT WITHIN A DECADE. STILL MIGHT HOLD OFF ALSO FOR PRICE TO GO DOWN AT UNDER 100 DLRS.

LIKE YOUR IDEA ABOUT HIRING SOMEONE THOUGHT. I THINK THERE TOOLS OUT THERE ALREADY WHERE IT CAN BE DONE TOO. IF YOU TAKE EXISTING REMASTERED VERSION THEN BEST WAY TO CUT COST WOULD BE TO LEAVE THE NEW ANIMATION IN BUT WITHOUT THE SOUND.

PROBLEM FOR ME IS THE NUDE SCENES.

WOULD BE GOOD REPLACEMENT FOR ONLINE VIEWING AS WELL. ESPECIALLY WHERE SOUND OVER AMPLIFIES THE VOICE.
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
11 years 10 months ago #18699

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: Remastered but with original Sound?

I think one difficulty in remastering the Robotech series in HD is mimiching the original opening titles and credits, as well as the ending credits without having the title and logo generator they used back in the 1980's. Production studios used them for TV shows before computers such as the Amiga came onto the scene and revolutionized Desktop Video as it was called back then in the late 80's, early 90's.

I hope Tommy and Steve can look for this kind of production equipment and somehow find it in storage. I know it would only produce standard definition resolution, but it can be upscaled to HD to minimize the artifacting effect, since back then credits had to chromakeyed via genlock on top of the video.

This is now done these days in software using non-linear video editors using layers. I would create the credits using the original equipment and then export the video to the computer and video enhance it and upscale it to HD resolutions.

I believed that both the original 85 and Robotech: The Sentinels utilized the same equipment to generate their opening credits.

Here's an example of such equipment used in the TV studios at the time.

www.nibroadcast.co.uk/video-equipment/ch...=name&sort_order=low

As for the original hardware they used back in 84/85, not sure what was used, but it definitely had some effects capability to animate both the logos and credits. Also the transitions between clips had some effects applied to them.

This would be difficult to emulate via software as you would have to copy the intracies of such hardware to reproduce the effect.

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
Last edit: 11 years 10 months ago by MaverickLSC.
11 years 10 months ago #18731

Time to create page: 0.460 seconds