Disappointed in final episode of 'Macross saga' (SPOILER ALERT)

• Thank you received: 4

Replied by X1 Commander on topic Disappointed in final episode of 'Macross saga' (SPOILER ALERT)

I meant that the video that I shared was fan-made. The SDF-2 was never in the original episodes, and only referenced because they needed to explain the 3rd mound in Southern Cross.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by X1 Commander.
7 years 11 months ago #21903

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Peter Young on topic Disappointed in final episode of 'Macross saga' (SPOILER ALERT)

Transformers: The Movie unintendedly ruined the original Transformers cartoon series by having several longtime characters die. Kids left the cinemas crying, their parents complained about the violence. The movie was no commercial succes, viewer's ratings dropped during sesaon three.

In the UK they actually put a voice-over in the movie stating Optimus Prime would return later. But bringing him back to live at the end of season three turned out to be too little too late.

I did not see the Transformers movie as a kid, but given my misgivings about #36 as an adult, I guess I would have reacted just like those kids in the cinemas. I remember not liking season three as much as the previous episodes, wondering what happened to all those characters I liked.

Could this episode be for Robotech what The Movie was for Transformers? Scaring too many kids away for the series to be continued?
7 years 11 months ago #21911

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic Disappointed in final episode of 'Macross saga' (SPOILER ALERT)

Peter Young wrote: Transformers: The Movie unintendedly ruined the original Transformers cartoon series by having several longtime characters die. Kids left the cinemas crying, their parents complained about the violence. The movie was no commercial succes, viewer's ratings dropped during sesaon three.

In the UK they actually put a voice-over in the movie stating Optimus Prime would return later. But bringing him back to live at the end of season three turned out to be too little too late.

I did not see the Transformers movie as a kid, but given my misgivings about #36 as an adult, I guess I would have reacted just like those kids in the cinemas. I remember not liking season three as much as the previous episodes, wondering what happened to all those characters I liked.

Could this episode be for Robotech what The Movie was for Transformers? Scaring too many kids away for the series to be continued?

The SDF1 bridge crew deaths were all so rushed and glossed over, that I really don't think it even had time to sink in. I think the bigger issue for why subsequent sagas were not as popular is more due to Vf-1's being just friggin' awesome looking, and that the characters in Southern Cross were more stereotypical. In the Macross saga, the characters were a lot more relatable; no matter who you are, there is a character that you can relate to, and you probably know people who the other characters remind you of. Mospeada saga fares a little better here, as those characters have more personality, and the Alphas, Betas, and even the Cyclones are really awesome concepts. The strongest parts of Southern Cross are the scenes involving Emerson, and the scenes involving Zor Prime. Everything else is just filler.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
7 years 11 months ago #21914

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Disappointed in final episode of 'Macross saga' (SPOILER ALERT)

Well way back when I didn't know that Robotech was composed of three entirely different series, I thought it was strange how "To The Stars" ended. I too was baffled that Lisa was the only survivor but I also didn't think too much of it. Honestly I was a lot more confused as to why Dana Sterling had blond hair when as a baby she had green or teal-ish. But I suppose that when you find out the truth these mistakes are easier to forgive.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
7 years 11 months ago #21933

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic Disappointed in final episode of 'Macross saga' (SPOILER ALERT)

LadyGrimes wrote: Well way back when I didn't know that Robotech was composed of three entirely different series, I thought it was strange how "To The Stars" ended. I too was baffled that Lisa was the only survivor but I also didn't think too much of it. Honestly I was a lot more confused as to why Dana Sterling had blond hair when as a baby she had green or teal-ish. But I suppose that when you find out the truth these mistakes are easier to forgive.

That can change, too. When I was a toddler I had red hair. Now it's brown but there is still red in my beard... the parts that aren't grey, that is.

My girlfriend's daughter had blonde hair when she was a toddler, and now it's black.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Alpha Bravo.
7 years 11 months ago #21935

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Disappointed in final episode of 'Macross saga' (SPOILER ALERT)

Alpha Bravo wrote:

LadyGrimes wrote: Well way back when I didn't know that Robotech was composed of three entirely different series, I thought it was strange how "To The Stars" ended. I too was baffled that Lisa was the only survivor but I also didn't think too much of it. Honestly I was a lot more confused as to why Dana Sterling had blond hair when as a baby she had green or teal-ish. But I suppose that when you find out the truth these mistakes are easier to forgive.

That can change, too. When I was a toddler I had red hair. Now it's brown but there is still red in my beard... the parts that aren't grey, that is.

My girlfriend's daughter had blonde hair when she was a toddler, and now it's black.

Oh believe me I'm aware of things like that, but this reason in particular was because of it being an unrelated series and I didn't know it at the time. Even though I thought it would've made more sense if Nova was Max's daughter instead.

7 years 11 months ago #21937

LadyGrimes wrote: Oh believe me I'm aware of things like that, but this reason in particular was because of it being an unrelated series and I didn't know it at the time. Even though I thought it would've made more sense if Nova was Max's daughter instead.

Only problem with that is Nova got more screentime in the intro crawl than she did in the actual show
7 years 11 months ago #21938

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Alpha Bravo wrote:

LadyGrimes wrote: Oh believe me I'm aware of things like that, but this reason in particular was because of it being an unrelated series and I didn't know it at the time. Even though I thought it would've made more sense if Nova was Max's daughter instead.

Only problem with that is Nova got more screentime in the intro crawl than she did in the actual show

I know and what a drag that is, cause I've always felt that she was a far more interesting character than Dana anyway.

7 years 11 months ago #21941

• Thank you received: 10

Replied by DR-052 on topic Disappointed in final episode of 'Macross saga' (SPOILER ALERT)

There's also this thing called peroxide. :dry: As a kid, I didn't know, didn't have the luxury of going back and seeing the difference. Now, well you could say her hair changed naturally as she grew up (mine was lemon yellow as a kid, pure Gold as a teen, now dark auburn-ish), or she wanted to fit in at school, and not be the "green haired alien freak" so she got a bottle of peroxide (a surprise waiting for her boyfriend, or people on a French beach :ohmy: ). Or, you could say 'it's Japanese amine' don't look too close to the hair color, her 'human' dad had blue hair for $#@% sake. Now that I think of it, if they had given Miriya Blond hair, then Dana should have green hair ... There's a whole web page on the meanings of hair color in anime, not every anime conforms too (SC went generally natural for humans & bazaro on RM), but Macross generally conforms, Blue haired Max is cool & meticulous while Miriya is mostly cool but also impetuous. Though usually actual Japanese characters (like Minmay and her family) have black Japanese hair, regardless of personality.
"Tears will not help him. Only a bold brave plan can save him now, and we do not have one." :dry: - Mimi Labonq
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes
7 years 11 months ago #21954

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

DR-052 wrote: There's also this thing called peroxide. :dry: As a kid, I didn't know, didn't have the luxury of going back and seeing the difference. Now, well you could say her hair changed naturally as she grew up (mine was lemon yellow as a kid, pure Gold as a teen, now dark auburn-ish), or she wanted to fit in at school, and not be the "green haired alien freak" so she got a bottle of peroxide (a surprise waiting for her boyfriend, or people on a French beach :ohmy: ). Or, you could say 'it's Japanese amine' don't look too close to the hair color, her 'human' dad had blue hair for $#@% sake. Now that I think of it, if they had given Miriya Blond hair, then Dana should have green hair ... There's a whole web page on the meanings of hair color in anime, not every anime conforms too (SC went generally natural for humans & bazaro on RM), but Macross generally conforms, Blue haired Max is cool & meticulous while Miriya is mostly cool but also impetuous. Though usually actual Japanese characters (like Minmay and her family) have black Japanese hair, regardless of personality.

Well in that case it would probably make a lot more sense if it was said that she dyed her hair instead of it being green-ish and fading to blond. She also must have stuck her finger in a light socket as a kid too and as result a permanent afro.

7 years 11 months ago #21958

Time to create page: 0.555 seconds