I'm probably in the minority here but................

• LadyGrimes
  • LadyGrimes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

I'm probably in the minority here but................ was created by LadyGrimes

When I first watched RT: The New Gen I was kind of hoping that Rand and Ariel would've ended up together. Especially after "Sandstorm." I just thought it was so sweet the way he took care of her, not only that but even after finding out she was invid it didn't bother him, so he would've loved her just the same instead of rejecting her as Scott did.

And speaking of which, I always thought Scott and Rook would've made a better couple. They have a lot more in common and I was disappointed in the lack of interaction between them. I don't remember the name of the episode atm but there's a moment where Rook was brooding and Scott was actually going to try and talk to her. That was the perfect opportunity for her to open up to him, but she pushed him away, meh.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpha Bravo
7 years 9 months ago #23141

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic I'm probably in the minority here but................

I guess they were going for the "opposites attract" thing, but those pairings you mentioned do make a lot more practical sense.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes
7 years 9 months ago #23143

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic I'm probably in the minority here but................

Alpha Bravo wrote: I guess they were going for the "opposites attract" thing, but those pairings you mentioned do make a lot more practical sense.

The whole bit about Scott naming Ariel after Marlene was just creepy af. Not to mention just being drawn to her because she reminds him of Marlene is just cringe worthy. I know in the novel they tried to rationalize it better by saying that Ariel was created using Marlene's DNA, well okay. Still doesn't make it any less creepy.

It wasn't any better when they did it in TWD either. Rick being attracted to/drawn to Jessie because she reminds him of Lori. Ugh. Must have something to do with PTSD I guess.

7 years 9 months ago #23145

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic I'm probably in the minority here but................

LadyGrimes wrote:

Alpha Bravo wrote: I guess they were going for the "opposites attract" thing, but those pairings you mentioned do make a lot more practical sense.

The whole bit about Scott naming Ariel after Marlene was just creepy af. Not to mention just being drawn to her because she reminds him of Marlene is just cringe worthy. I know in the novel they tried to rationalize it better by saying that Ariel was created using Marlene's DNA, well okay. Still doesn't make it any less creepy.

It wasn't any better when they did it in TWD either. Rick being attracted to/drawn to Jessie because she reminds him of Lori. Ugh. Must have something to do with PTSD I guess.

My own headcanon interprets it not that Ariel reminds Scott of Marlene, but rather he was simply shattered inside, trying to hold it together on the outside, and he missed Marlene so much that he WANTED to see Marlene in Ariel. He gets used to his routines, a creature of habit, and this was such a drastic change from his normal routine that he couldn't easily adjust to. He knew Ariel wasn't Marlene, but he missed Marlene so much and could never forgive himself for her death that he simply didn't know how to cope with it.

Incidently, I attribute the same to Lisa seeing Reeber in Lynn Kyle. In both cases, the two individuals in question neither look nor act anything like the person they are being related and compared to. It's more a case of wishful thinking, projecting the person they WANT on top of the person who is actually there.

But no one Scott isn't really so dense as to believe it really was the projected individual. Lisa, well... is Lisa.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
Last edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Alpha Bravo.
7 years 9 months ago #23151

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic I'm probably in the minority here but................

Alpha Bravo wrote:

LadyGrimes wrote:

My own headcanon interprets it not that Ariel reminds Scott of Marlene, but rather he was simply shattered inside, trying to hold it together on the outside, and he missed Marlene so much that he WANTED to see Marlene in Ariel. He gets used to his routines, a creature of habit, and this was such a drastic change from his normal routine that he couldn't easily adjust to. He knew Ariel wasn't Marlene, but he missed Marlene so much and could never forgive himself for her death that he simply didn't know how to cope with it.

Incidently, I attribute the same to Lisa seeing Reeber in Lynn Kyle. In both cases, the two individuals in question neither look nor act anything like the person they are being related and compared to. It's more a case of wishful thinking, projecting the person they WANT on top of the person who is actually there.

But no one Scott isn't really so dense as to believe it really was the projected individual. Lisa, well... is Lisa.

Actually that makes a lot more sense now that you put it that way.

7 years 9 months ago #23152

• Thank you received: 554

Replied by ds55 on topic I'm probably in the minority here but................

:laugh: different @ that
Macross forever :D

#Biden not my President!
7 years 9 months ago #23175

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by Peter Young on topic I'm probably in the minority here but................

Ah, you spoilt part of the ending of New Generation for me. Hadn't watched all the episodes yet :S

Too be fair, I do not like that series particularly much because of the grimm tone. I can stand a few darker episodes within a series, but NG has this sense of 'the war has been lost - we only fight on for fighting's sake'. So I doupt I will ever bother to watch any episodes beyond the sand storm one.

But on topic: never made sense Ariel had been dubbed 'Marlene' in the first place. They could have picked any female name to call her untill her amnesia would disappear, so why chose the one name that would be like wrubbing sand into Scott's wounds (who had a nervous breakdown that same episode)?

LG, guess we're of the same opinon for once.
7 years 6 months ago #23876

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Peter Young wrote: Ah, you spoilt part of the ending of New Generation for me. Hadn't watched all the episodes yet :S

Too be fair, I do not like that series particularly much because of the grimm tone. I can stand a few darker episodes within a series, but NG has this sense of 'the war has been lost - we only fight on for fighting's sake'. So I doupt I will ever bother to watch any episodes beyond the sand storm one.

But on topic: never made sense Ariel had been dubbed 'Marlene' in the first place. They could have picked any female name to call her untill her amnesia would disappear, so why chose the one name that would be like wrubbing sand into Scott's wounds (who had a nervous breakdown that same episode)?

LG, guess we're of the same opinon for once.

Well Scott was the one who picked that name so I guess he wanted to torture himself lol. And I just thought of this but I don't recall if the others knew his fiance's name at the time, I think Rand did but I'm not sure of the others, otherwise I think there would've been more of a negative reaction to that decision.

At least this is one thing Shadow Chronicles got right, and it was the creepiness of that name. Marcus was right to react the way he did. I would think any sane person would in that kind of situation.

7 years 6 months ago #23878

• Thank you received: 20

Replied by Sinn on topic I'm probably in the minority here but................

And speaking of which, I always thought Scott and Rook would've made a better couple. They have a lot more in common and I was disappointed in the lack of interaction between them.

I agree ... I also thought that Scott and Rook would have made a better couple. Rook was a tough girl who needed to break from her past in order to live in the moment, and Scott was also stuck in the past, unable to free himself from the pain and guilt of losing Marlene.
They would have been perfect for each other, but, alas the writers didn't see it that way.

Call me crazy, but for my money I think Lance and Ariel would have made an interesting couple. I always imagined that they had more chemistry than Scott and Marlene. At any rate, I guess the writers didn't want to break the opposite attracts formula, and go for a more convoluted romance sub plot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes, Alpha Bravo
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Sinn.
7 years 5 months ago #24009

Sinn wrote:

And speaking of which, I always thought Scott and Rook would've made a better couple. They have a lot more in common and I was disappointed in the lack of interaction between them.

I agree ... I also thought that Scott and Rook would have made a better couple. Rook was a tough girl who needed to break from her past in order to live in the moment, and Scott was also stuck in the past, unable to free himself from the pain and guilt of losing Marlene.
They would have been perfect for each other, but, alas the writers didn't see it that way.

Call me crazy, but for my money I think Lance and Ariel would have made an interesting couple. I always imagined that they had more chemistry than Scott and Marlene. At any rate, I guess the writers didn't want to break the opposite attracts formula, and go for a more convoluted romance sub plot.

Well in some ways, opposites attract for a reason. Rook was heavily introverted, and needed someone extremely outgoing and friendly like Rand to break through those walls and reach her softer side. Scott would never have even tried to do this, sitting behind walls of his own. True he was the one to pursue Ariel, but that was because he recognized her vulnerability and innocence, and thus wasn't afraid of rejection as he might have been had he pursued Rook.

Lancer and Ariel would have absolutely worked though, for exactly the same reasons as Sera.
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by Alpha Bravo.
7 years 5 months ago #24010

Time to create page: 0.555 seconds