Your favorite and least favorite character?

• LadyGrimes
  • LadyGrimes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Your favorite and least favorite character? was created by LadyGrimes

Thought this would be a good idea for a thread since we've gotten a spike of new activity lately. So who is your favorite and least favorite character.............and why?

For me my favorite character has always been Miriya. I remember my first episode viewing on toonami back in 96 which happened to be "Farewell Big Brother" and it was the battle between Max and Miriya and I was instantly hooked while also thinking holy shit this chick is awesome! So then I continued watching the series from there on and she remained my favorite.

I was never a big fan of her "domestication" phase lol, I don't know what else to call it, but I definitely preferred her when she was one of the bad guys.

As for my least favorite, I'm going to have to say its Dana Sterling. Yes I know she's the daughter of Max and Miriya but I just never cared for her tbh. I actually preferred Bowie over her because to me he came across as a much more interesting character. I tried to like Dana even after rewatches but I just couldn't do it. I didn't care for her storyline involving Zor either. Dat hair tho. But yeah on the whole while Masters is clearly the weakest of the series, Dana didn't help in making it any better IMO.

Minmei could be annoying too but I found her much more tolerable than Dana.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpha Bravo, Peter Young
7 years 4 months ago #24365

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic Your favorite and least favorite character?

I would have expected the daughter of Max and Miriya to be a little hellion, full of mischief and always causing trouble. I'm sure in novels and fanfic she probably is but in the animated episodes it just doesn't happen. For example, in one of the very first episodes we see her going to the airborne barracks and "starting a brawl". All she did was stand there yelling at everyone to stop! I would expect her to be beating the crap out of everyone. Don't forget, she's supposed to be half-Zentraedi! The biggest prank she ever pulled was to give her battloid rabbit ears during a parade. Wow what a rebel.

My favourite character would be Scott! The real Scott, not TSC Scott. Now here's a guy who IMO is everything Dana should have been. Walks a line between hero and antihero, paragon and renegade, willing to do bad things for good reasons. In the end he's just trying to accomplish his mission and help people, but will do whatever it takes and make any sacrifice. Will kick your ass in a bar fight, then help you up and buy you a drink. I headcannon that he's got Zentraedi ancestory, not only from his personality, but also from how he is able to jump 20 feet up into the air wearing full body armor, as we discussed in the Scott Thread a few months ago.

My least favourite character would have to be Lisa. What a train wreck. So insecure of herself she'd probably be texting me every 5 minutes asking me where I was or what I was doing. For the rest of my life. I'm not her babysitter, that's Claudia's job.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by Alpha Bravo.
7 years 4 months ago #24367

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Your favorite and least favorite character?

Yep sadly when incorporating Masters they had to make do with the animation they were given, therefore we got a boring main character. I don't know, would it have been better if she were the daughter of someone else, maybe someone who wasn't well known from Macross? Maybe even kid of Rick and Lisa too? Then just had Marie or even Nova as Max's daughter? And Zor's hair, seriously what is it? Maybe his hair is the secret to protoculture?

I like Scott too btw, but Rand was always my favorite from New Gen. He was just this nomad trying to survive what was left of the world and then when he met Scott he learned how to fight and become stronger. I liked the relationship between them too, even though they didn't always see eye to eye on things they still respected one another.

and god damn I would love to see Scott vs Negan in a fight <3

also Lunk vs Stan

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpha Bravo
Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by LadyGrimes.
7 years 4 months ago #24381

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by Peter Young on topic Your favorite and least favorite character?

Least favorite person: Dana Sterling.

She seemed interesting in the sentinels-movie, so I was disappointed to see her in 'False start'. Not a SINGLE thing she does in that episode actually made sense.

Her behaviour might have been normal for a teenager in a high school/boarding school series, but not for a young squadron commander. Didn't help the English voice directors decided to give her the voice of an old lady, BTW.

Second place: Kyle.
Mostly story teller's fault, I guess. They simply used him as the person who would make everything more difficult for the rest of the cast, no matter what.
That makes him the colonel Edwards of the Macross Saga: a waste of what might have been an interesting character.

Third place might cause some controversy: there are several reasons why I'm no fan of 'Next Generation'. One important reason is its main antagonist. I simply find Scott Bernard too one-sided focused on being a good soldier to like him. Same problem with let's say Cyclops of the X-men and Jonathan Riker of Star Trek: the next generation. Scott's rather psychotic behaviour (always shooting at everything) and his inability to see things from a non-military perspective don't make him any more likeable for me.

Now the favorite characters... Let me think about it. There's so many I like... I'll let you know later
7 years 4 months ago #24383

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Peter Young wrote: Least favorite person: Dana Sterling.

She seemed interesting in the sentinels-movie, so I was disappointed to see her in 'False start'. Not a SINGLE thing she does in that episode actually made sense.

Her behaviour might have been normal for a teenager in a high school/boarding school series, but not for a young squadron commander. Didn't help the English voice directors decided to give her the voice of an old lady, BTW.

I wasn't so bothered by her voice as I was bothered by her as a character. The voice didn't help for sure. But so far that makes three of us who agree Dana's character wasn't portrayed like she should have been.

Peter Young wrote: Second place: Kyle.
Mostly story teller's fault, I guess. They simply used him as the person who would make everything more difficult for the rest of the cast, no matter what.
That makes him the colonel Edwards of the Macross Saga: a waste of what might have been an interesting character.

I was more disturbed by his lust for Minmei than anything tbh yes I know they're cousins and in some places that's okay, but it just came across as borderline rape at times. But also makes him a hypocrite in the sense he's against violence but perfectly okay with forcing himself on his cousin, drunk or not. What a dick.

Peter Young wrote: Third place might cause some controversy: there are several reasons why I'm no fan of 'Next Generation'. One important reason is its main antagonist. I simply find Scott Bernard too one-sided focused on being a good soldier to like him. Same problem with let's say Cyclops of the X-men and Jonathan Riker of Star Trek: the next generation. Scott's rather psychotic behaviour (always shooting at everything) and his inability to see things from a non-military perspective don't make him any more likeable for me.

Oh shit son, now you're gonna feel AB's wrath for sure! Just kidding.

Peter Young wrote: Now the favorite characters... Let me think about it. There's so many I like... I'll let you know later

Last edit: 7 years 4 months ago by LadyGrimes.
7 years 4 months ago #24388

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by Peter Young on topic Your favorite and least favorite character?

LadyGrimes wrote:

And that after al the warning signs he has been giving me lately... I just had to do the Dana Sterling thing :dry:
7 years 4 months ago #24392

Peter Young wrote: Least favorite person: Dana Sterling.

Second place: Kyle.

Third place might cause some controversy: there are several reasons why I'm no fan of 'Next Generation'. One important reason is its main antagonist. I simply find Scott Bernard too one-sided focused on being a good soldier to like him. Same problem with let's say Cyclops of the X-men and Jonathan Riker of Star Trek: the next generation. Scott's rather psychotic behaviour (always shooting at everything) and his inability to see things from a non-military perspective don't make him any more likeable for me.

Now the favorite characters... Let me think about it. There's so many I like... I'll let you know later

1- Dana was a failure of a character, but to say she's your least favourite PERSON? That's harsh, bro. Isn't there ANYONE in the world you hate more?

2- Klye was a great antagonist. He was the token Passivist Activist. And a walking self-contradiction, at that! Remember he claims to hate violence, yet he's a master Black Belt. This seeming contradiction demonstrates that on some level, he does in fact understand the need for self-defense.

3- Scott saw Ariel bleeding green. Did he shoot her? He met face to face with the Invid Regis. Did he shoot her? "too one-sided focused on being a good soldier to like him" would you prefer he was a bad soldier?
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
7 years 4 months ago #24394

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Peter Young wrote:

LadyGrimes wrote:

And that after al the warning signs he has been giving me lately... I just had to do the Dana Sterling thing :dry:

Should I make popcorn is there going to be a beatdown now?

7 years 4 months ago #24396

LadyGrimes wrote:

Peter Young wrote:

LadyGrimes wrote:

I'm curious what warning signs I've been giving him?
7 years 4 months ago #24399

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Alpha Bravo wrote:

LadyGrimes wrote:

Peter Young wrote:

LadyGrimes wrote:

I'm curious what warning signs I've been giving him?

I haven't a clue tbh. Only he can answer that one, and that's only if he will since he seems to gloss over the other questions.

7 years 4 months ago #24402

Time to create page: 0.424 seconds