Robotech as a Macross fan?

• mater06
  • Topic Author
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • Thank you received: 1

Robotech as a Macross fan? was created by mater06

Hey guys, so, I love Macross, I originally watched Macross Plus because many of the staff that did Cowboy Bebop worked on it and I ended up really loving it. After I finished it I looked up what Macross was and I came across both SDF and Robotech. Thinking that SDF would be the better one since it was unedited and the way the Japanese producers originally intended, I watched the ADV dub of SDF Macross and really liked it aswell. The question I have is even though I’ve watched the original Macross can I still enjoy Robotech? Do I need to rewatch all of the Macross Saga or can I just jump right into the Southern Cross Saga?

I really wanna get into Robotech but I’m just not sure if it’s close enough to the original SDF to skip the first saga or detached from the or detached enough that I have to sit through 36 episodes of almost the same show.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes
6 years 4 months ago #26420

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by Peter Young on topic Robotech as a Macross fan?

Welcome on board!

For me it's the other way around. I got to know Robotech almost three years ago and am wondering if it would be a good idea to watch Macross as well.

One reason for not starting with episode 'Dana's story' is that it summarizes some of the events the first saga - so it would be spoiled.

You could skip the first saga and still understand it - in practice, the three series are only connected through lose comments in the dialogues or the narrator mentioning previous characters. But you might enjoy it better if you'd watch the first saga first.

The cancelled successor series, 'Sentinels' (only exists in the form of a direct on video movie and comics+novels) might be more difficult to understand without watching 'Macross saga' first.

Then again, it was the first of the franchise I watched and it got me hooked, so perhaps not knowing what happened before might not be such a bad thing ;)
6 years 4 months ago #26421

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Robotech as a Macross fan?

Do it! Macross is awesome! It is my favorite saga in Robotech. I purchased the AnimEigo way back when it was available on RT.com

The story feels much better. I love Robotech for introducing me to Macross.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
6 years 4 months ago #26427

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Robotech as a Macross fan?

BACKWARDS FOR ME AS WELL

THOUGHT DID NOT LIKE THE T.V. JAPANESE VERSION BUT STILL TRIED IT.
MACROSS PLUSS IS MY ALL TIME FAVORITE. ENGLISH VERSION.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
6 years 4 months ago #26429

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Robotech as a Macross fan?

mater06 wrote: Hey guys, so, I love Macross, I originally watched Macross Plus because many of the staff that did Cowboy Bebop worked on it and I ended up really loving it. After I finished it I looked up what Macross was and I came across both SDF and Robotech. Thinking that SDF would be the better one since it was unedited and the way the Japanese producers originally intended, I watched the ADV dub of SDF Macross and really liked it aswell. The question I have is even though I’ve watched the original Macross can I still enjoy Robotech? Do I need to rewatch all of the Macross Saga or can I just jump right into the Southern Cross Saga?

I really wanna get into Robotech but I’m just not sure if it’s close enough to the original SDF to skip the first saga or detached from the or detached enough that I have to sit through 36 episodes of almost the same show.

Honestly, as someone who has never watched original macross or has plans to, I would just say watch Robotech as a whole to see if you like it or not.

I believe you can still enjoy both. While Masters saga is the weakest of the three it still has some good moments and is worth watching.

My reason for avoiding macross is I don't really consider myself an anime fan, but that's not to say I haven't read the details about the original series, it's just not for me. And the later adaptions of that series just keep looking worse and worse. I get it Japan has a different culture but all the cutesy pop characters just don't do it for me.

I like serious story telling and I find that I cannot take most anime serious because of the look of the characters. Some just look so ridiculous and over the top. I prefer the anime look from the 80s. Characters just looked more like people, I don't know how else to explain it.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
6 years 4 months ago #26437

• Thank you received: 96

Replied by Peter Young on topic Robotech as a Macross fan?

[quote="LadyGrimes"

I like serious story telling and I find that I cannot take most anime serious because of the look of the characters. Some just look so ridiculous and over the top. I prefer the anime look from the 80s. Characters just looked more like people, I don't know how else to explain it.[/quote]

Hear hear!

It's the 'toonish' way of animating that keeps me from present day anime. I prefer the more 'realistic' drawings of the eighties as well.

I find it hard to take an action series seriously when the animation suggests the target audience is supposed to be frist-fourth grade children.

LG and I seem to have different tastes regarding fiction, but on this, I couldn't agree more.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Peter Young.
6 years 3 months ago #26448

Time to create page: 0.313 seconds