Shadow Chronicles Rant

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Shadow Chronicles Rant

Alpha Bravo wrote:

LadyGrimes wrote: That's just it. Robotech was Macek's story and then you have someone else taking over and completely changing things around to better accommodate this new story. Was it rushed? Absolutely, resulting in the final product being complete trash. Not that it wasn't already so to begin with. I don't remember it that well and that's probably because of how forgettable it was.

Now that's funny. To you, it was so bad as to be forgettable, but to me, it was so bad as to be forever seared into my memory.

Sounds like you could use some brain bleach.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
7 years 10 months ago #22309

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 554

Replied by ds55 on topic Shadow Chronicles Rant

and whats strange didnt ariel marry yellow dancer in anoither release :side:
Macross forever :D

#Biden not my President!
7 years 10 months ago #22318

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic Shadow Chronicles Rant

ds55 wrote: and whats strange didnt ariel marry yellow dancer in anoither release :side:

In the Sentinels novels, she ended up with either Lancer or Lunk, but it's been 20 years since I've read them so I don't remember exactly. I do remember that whoever it was, was quite protective of her, and upset at Scott for hurting her.

Edit: Well I guess it would have to be Lunk because Lancer was with Sera. Going on 4 hours sleep and haven't had coffee yet.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
Last edit: 7 years 10 months ago by Alpha Bravo.
7 years 10 months ago #22319

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Alpha Bravo wrote:

ds55 wrote: and whats strange didnt ariel marry yellow dancer in anoither release :side:

In the Sentinels novels, she ended up with either Lancer or Lunk, but it's been 20 years since I've read them so I don't remember exactly. I do remember that whoever it was, was quite protective of her, and upset at Scott for hurting her.

Edit: Well I guess it would have to be Lunk because Lancer was with Sera. Going on 4 hours sleep and haven't had coffee yet.

Yep it was definitely Lunk.

7 years 10 months ago #22322

Since Sentinels is declared non-canon, lets take a look at some of their other endeavors:

Robotech: The Movie: The Untold Story:
Retitled Megazone 23 with spliced-in Masters Saga footage and a new ending. The guy who directed the original Megazone 23, as well as the original Macross, had no idea this even happened. The Untold Story never saw theatrical or home video release, and was an embarassment to Harmony Gold. FAILURE

Robotech 3000:
CGI was the hot new thing on saturday morning television, so what a great idea to jump on that bandwagon with a show that has absolutely nothing to do with the original series, and barely manages to scrape up one episode's worth of content before being canceled. FAILURE

The Shadow Chronicles:
Horrible writing, gumby anatomies, bland characters, no discernable plot, planned sequel is now 10 years overdue but "not on hiatus" according to Tommy Yun. FAILURE

Robotech Academy:
Kickstarter failed to reach goal. FAILURE

Am I forgetting any? I thought there were more than four.

If they've got money to throw away on hairbrained ideas like all of the above, why don't they just do the Sentinels. They've got the entire storyboard right there in front of them. Unless they burned it. Or Macek was buried with it. Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles pretty much picks up the tail end of the Sentinels campaign anyway, which makes its non-canon status mind boggling, to say the least. And that's the story that every Robotech fan wants to see: What happened to the REF and Rick Hunter during the 2nd and 3rd Robotech Wars? In TSC he's onscreen for all of 5 seconds, then goes and makes a black hole to fall himself into. If that's not a big F U to the fans, I don't know what is.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
7 years 10 months ago #22323

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Alpha Bravo wrote: Since Sentinels is declared non-canon, lets take a look at some of their other endeavors:

Robotech: The Movie: The Untold Story:
Retitled Megazone 23 with spliced-in Masters Saga footage and a new ending. The guy who directed the original Megazone 23, as well as the original Macross, had no idea this even happened. The Untold Story never saw theatrical or home video release, and was an embarassment to Harmony Gold. FAILURE

Robotech 3000:
CGI was the hot new thing on saturday morning television, so what a great idea to jump on that bandwagon with a show that has absolutely nothing to do with the original series, and barely manages to scrape up one episode's worth of content before being canceled. FAILURE

The Shadow Chronicles:
Horrible writing, gumby anatomies, bland characters, no discernable plot, planned sequel is now 10 years overdue but "not on hiatus" according to Tommy Yun. FAILURE

Robotech Academy:
Kickstarter failed to reach goal. FAILURE

Am I forgetting any? I thought there were more than four.

If they've got money to throw away on hairbrained ideas like all of the above, why don't they just do the Sentinels. They've got the entire storyboard right there in front of them. Unless they burned it. Or Macek was buried with it. Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles pretty much picks up the tail end of the Sentinels campaign anyway, which makes its non-canon status mind boggling, to say the least. And that's the story that every Robotech fan wants to see: What happened to the REF and Rick Hunter during the 2nd and 3rd Robotech Wars? In TSC he's onscreen for all of 5 seconds, then goes and makes a black hole to fall himself into. If that's not a big F U to the fans, I don't know what is.

I vaguely remember a lot of people ranting and raving after the release of TSC. This was even before I saw it but already I could tell the reception was not that good. And while there were some who liked it, I strongly believe it was due to them being starved for more RT and willingly accepting whatever HG would put out. I can't fault them for feeling that way ofc because I too wanted to like it.

For those of us who hate it, did we set our expectations too high or can we just see it for what it is? The others you mentioned were also not successful. Seems to be a rinse and repeat process with HG. I didn't hear about RT Academy so that's news to me, but albeit another failure.

And what was that all about Rick Hunter being trapped in a black hole? FML! What's next? Is he going to die off screen in said black hole? If they plan on killing him off, they should just get it over with already, because they obviously don't have any other plans for him.
But like you mentioned, they have everything for the Sentinels story. Why not finish that or reboot it? Also why in the holy hell can't HG move forward with anything because of the live action movie? That's really stupid TBH and a lot of time has been wasted away while waiting for this damn thing to go anywhere at all.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpha Bravo
7 years 10 months ago #22326

LadyGrimes wrote: I vaguely remember a lot of people ranting and raving after the release of TSC. This was even before I saw it but already I could tell the reception was not that good. And while there were some who liked it, I strongly believe it was due to them being starved for more RT and willingly accepting whatever HG would put out. I can't fault them for feeling that way ofc because I too wanted to like it.

For those of us who hate it, did we set our expectations too high or can we just see it for what it is? The others you mentioned were also not successful. Seems to be a rinse and repeat process with HG. I didn't hear about RT Academy so that's news to me, but albeit another failure.

And what was that all about Rick Hunter being trapped in a black hole? FML! What's next? Is he going to die off screen in said black hole? If they plan on killing him off, they should just get it over with already, because they obviously don't have any other plans for him.
But like you mentioned, they have everything for the Sentinels story. Why not finish that or reboot it? Also why in the holy hell can't HG move forward with anything because of the live action movie? That's really stupid TBH and a lot of time has been wasted away while waiting for this damn thing to go anywhere at all.

One of the bewildering things about this, is the Macross legal circus. This is often cited as a reason why HG cannot move forward, but I really think it is just an excuse which doesn't hold water. Reason being, the Sentinels characters are not the Macross characters. As in, Hikaro Ichijyo and his iconic spikey brown hair, becomes Rick Hunter with shoulder length grey hair. He's essentially a brand-new, original character, in name and appearance, and this is why he can appear in TSC. Same thing though would apply to Misa Hayase/Lisa Hayes, Max Genius/Max Sterling, Milia Fallyna Genius/Miriya Parino Sterling, and so on and so forth. They all received makeovers in the Sentinels, so there is no legal reason why The Sentinels could not be revisited. The ONLY thing that cannot appear is the VF-1, because there's not much of a makeover you can give to a transformable F-14. This is why the Third Gen mecha were adopted as standard for the REF.

I suppose Minmay/Minmei would be a potential stickler. Even if you give her a new look, her given name is pronounced the same. Drop the Lynn and give her a caucasian surname, perhaps? There could be a short scene where Rick asks her like "Wow all we've been through, and I never thought to ask you what is your last name." I'm sure that would be only a minor infraction to fans compared to the entirety of TSC.

I think waiting on the live action movie, is just another excuse. No reasonable person would see any benefit to delaying the release of a follow-up installment for over a decade. The real, unofficial reason is probably more along the lines of HG realizes they royally screwed the pooch, and have simply given up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes
7 years 10 months ago #22330

• Thank you received: 554

Replied by ds55 on topic Shadow Chronicles Rant

yep pretty much,I was hungry for more RT.
Macross forever :D

#Biden not my President!
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes, Alpha Bravo
7 years 10 months ago #22331

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

ds55 wrote: yep pretty much,I was hungry for more RT.

You're better off eating a Snickers at this point.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpha Bravo
7 years 10 months ago #22332

I had another thought on this. If Minmay is, indeed, THE reason The Sentinels cannot be made, simply write her out of it. I don't recall her role in the story being of any significance. And I don't think anyone shed any tears over End of the Circle being non-canon.
7 years 10 months ago #22341

Time to create page: 0.471 seconds