Anyone else losing interest?

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

Hmm. Lucky for me I just re-discovered Robotech in 2007. Before that I never understood why it switched from Macross to the Masters. On TV I never got to see it in order. Just some episodes here and there, but it was like nothing I had seen before.

I think Robotech is more nostalgic than anything, but not loosing interest. Only because I make it casual. Not like my life revolves around Robotech. It is like saying I'm tired of chocolate chip cookies because nothing new other than dark chocolate or cookies with almonds come out. Its just something you watch once in a while with a cup of milk.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
14 years 6 months ago #7034

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by HashiNoUsagi on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

I'm very disappointed that it's taking so long for the next SC film to come out. The first one felt like it was set up to have a sequel. I feel like I saw half a movie and now I have to wait to see the second half of it. It makes me sad for HG. It doesn't make me any less of a fan, nor will it prevent me from watching any future Robotech movies/series. Instead of throwing my money at HG I will throw it to other companies that are producing products.
Hasn't done anything stupid enough to get banned from any forum.....yet.
14 years 6 months ago #7168

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

I JUST BOUGHT THE TRANSFORMERS SPECIAL EDITION DVD.

:P
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 6 months ago #7181

• Thank you received: 13

Replied by Protoculture on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

Me ... already a burnout on both Robotech & Macross. The only thing that keep me in RT-verse is working on my RT fanfics for the RT RPG gaming.

As for Macross, I'm still waiting for the Macross Frontier the Movie.

Currently gorging myself on UC Gundam & being entertained by quirky Patlabor.
14 years 5 months ago #7256

Replied by Sushispook on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

I'm on the fence...

I got back into RT just this last November, and I will freely admit to toy collecting out of simply having the stuff that I never had as a kid (or broke, because I didn't know how fragile those small Gakken cyclones were - oops).

After the series went off the air, I had just finished my freshman year, and that summer I came across the novelizations by Jack McKinney. I loved it - It filled in plot holes, patched things up, and gave things a more adult dimension. By the time End of the Circle came out, I was a junior in highschool. I got obsessed about alot of the mech designs for awhile, but eventually it all fell by the wayside and I got into going to parties and clubs and all that stuff you do when you're trying to be cool :)

Coming back into it this November, I was curious to see how they'd treated it. Battlestar Galactica had shown that you could take an 80's sci-fi series and turn it into something more real and gritty. Instead, we got the Shadow Chronicles - and I found out that McKinney's amazing work was no longer canon. Which seemed stupid - the novelizations provided a foundation to leap into something more substantial and adult.

TSC's weird re-writing of the end of Symphony of Light irked me, and the transformation of the Haydonites into Snidely-Whiplash-esque villains really rubbed me the wrong way (and the enemy mecha looking like something off the drawing table from Babylon 5). The characters seemed more wacky and archetypal than their original series counterparts.

The Invid are a great, complex enemy - they're not just this faceless evil - they're driven by a clear and tragic purpose. The Haydonites? Dimestore villains, IMHO.

While TSC is exponentially better than Robotech 3000, it's a pretty limp story (even if you view it from the standpoint of laying a foundation). There was so much they could have re-told or fleshed out.

I'm not holding much hope for the LAM - We'll get some compressed bastardized version of the Macross saga, and it will either be full of Dawson's-Creek-style angst, or a hack sci-fi job (let's hope I'm proved thoroughly wrong) that's all super-bright colors and trying to be like the Star Trek reboot.

Like the poster in Fox Mulder's office says, "I Want To Believe"... but man, it's hard. I'll keep the faith, but I won't fan the flames much.
14 years 3 months ago #8829

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

My interest mostly lays in stuff outside what Harmony Gold is doing, namely trying to come up with a plausible way to run Pioneer Mission/The Sentinels gaming scenarios. Since Tommy Yune, rather stupidly, stated that HG will not be pursuing rebooting The Sentinels I decided to go ahead and 'do my own' (so to speak). That and I've been involved for a while in non-Robotech.com hardcore debating (since debating there is little more than a joke now).

My interests mostly lie with adapting stuff from the OSM notes/sketches to replace some of the goofier elements from The Sentinels. I have to give Roger Harkavy props for releasing his sketches for public consumption (I'm going to try and slide him a donation soon as recompense). There are a number of designs that can simply replace the 'standard' Invid to sort of spice things up and keep players interested (cause really, is all THAT fun to face the EXACT same Invid in Deep Space as on Earth? I don't think so).

Other than that, I try to keep my writing skills up to date by typing at least one page's worth of text a day on SOME forum I'm on (and mostly I do stuff that isn't connected with anime/sci-fi at all, namely political: Libertarian/Anarcho-Capitalist stuff or reading up on Plasma Cosmology/Electric Universe theory).

As far as Harmony Gold is concerned, I think they have people there now that have zero vision. Its rehashing the same crap (Macross and now Mospeada) over and over and over again. The current toy releases are pretty obvious in that regard.

I'm personally of the opinion that there are enough designs 'native' to Robotech that a reboot could be possible where they dump all the obvious Macross elements and use the various 'Macross-inspired' designs from The Sentinels, the comics and so on and so forth (filling in the gaps with lesser known/seen mecha/gear etc from Mospeada and Southern Cross as needed). They could actually start telling decent, updated stories that don't simply tell us the same crap we had before. If they were smart, start 'small' by rebooting Robotech completely in comic form.
14 years 3 months ago #8830

Replied by LT-Grishnahck on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

Nope. I think HG is on the right track even if they need to refine and improve some things.

They need to polish and tweek certain things, yes. But I agree with the over all story direction they're going in.

IMO, The Shadow Chronicles was NEVER going to make everyone happy.

It's just like the situation for The Phantom Menace, The Godfather Part III and Indiana Jones and the KOTCS.

When over a decade of time goes by, everyone has had too much time to arrive at these almost dogmatic visions in their own head of what their "perfect" Star Wars, Indiana...ect would be.

They get so fixated on their own sacred way they'd like to see _____________ continue that there is NO way anything that anyone(other than themselves) does will be satisfactory.

Don't get me wrong. TSC is NOT without it's flaws and there is certainly room for improvement on a number of issues, but I for one, prefer to focus on what's good about it rather than what was mediocre.

I do get frustrated with HG that everything seems to have to take so damn long. But other than that, I look forward to SR.

Of course with me, I'm such a fan of the Mospeada asthetic could play a role in why I'm so tolerant.

Anyway, I'm not loosing interest.
"Anything is preferable to the domination of the Invid"

I'm with Supreme Commander Leonard.

HAIL TO THE D.O.L.
aka Hermann2 at RT.com

In the Middle Universe, evil fears Daltanias.
14 years 3 months ago #9107

• blackconvoy_D01
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by blackconvoy_D01 on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

with betas still due out, the maia reissue, the marcus alphas coming soon, the battle pods being sold, and all the graphic novels being reissued i find no reason to loose interest. the only thing that could make the rt world better at this second is a mpc hovertank.
My appreciation pics page:
www.flickr.com/photos/26350372@N04/
14 years 3 months ago #9109

Replied by LT-Grishnahck on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

only thing that could make the rt world better at this second is a mpc hovertank.

AMEN TO THAT!! B)

BRING ON THE SOUTHERN CROSS MERCH!!!
"Anything is preferable to the domination of the Invid"

I'm with Supreme Commander Leonard.

HAIL TO THE D.O.L.
aka Hermann2 at RT.com

In the Middle Universe, evil fears Daltanias.
14 years 3 months ago #9110

Replied by Sushispook on topic Re:Anyone else losing interest?

AMEN TO THAT!!

BRING ON THE SOUTHERN CROSS MERCH!!!

A @!#$-YEAH over here - provided that we apped "as long as it doesn't fall apart like a zombie in a woodchipper".
14 years 3 months ago #9111

Time to create page: 0.615 seconds