Okay to read The Sentinels without the rest?

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:Okay to read The Sentinels without the rest?

Gubaba wrote:

The NEXT big problem though is that Sentinels in every form has been retconned to fit the new chronology. So the comics didn't "happen" and neither did the books. Something like them "happened," but Tommy and HG haven't told that story.

One of the biggest changes in Tommy's version is the almost complete removal of any Southern Cross equipment, mecha and so on and so forth. There is the brief appearance of a single Tristar-class Cruiser and, of course, the UES Tokugawa, but that's it. In a way that is TOTALLY baffling, the removal of all aspects of Southern Cross makes NO SENSE as Prelude basically lays it out (courtesy of General Reinhardt) that the REF didn't arrive in the Valivarre star system until AFTER The Invid Invasion in 2031. Despite the ridiculous and generally asinine claims to the contrary (such as Tommy claiming the ASC was completely destroyed in the 2nd Robotech War), there should have been a great deal of this equipment as there was most certainly ramped up production to replace equipment lost during the engagements with The Masters.

In every single version of The Sentinels, before Prelude, The Army of the Southern Cross was an integral part of the REF (in the Tv series, it was supposed to have formed the Ground Forces component of the REF). Simply put, Tommy's version of the REF has massive gaping holes in the TO&E and could NOT sustain itself in military operations planetside with the scant equipment shown in Mospeada (which almost completely ignores logistical aspects of the military).
14 years 1 month ago #10284

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Okay to read The Sentinels without the rest?

DUDE.. LET IT GO..

NOTHING WAS LEFT. INVID JUST WIPED IT ALL OUT. NO AJAX, NO HOVERTANK....

JUST LET GO..

ALPHA AND CYCLONE RULED POST INVID INVASION.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 1 month ago #10294

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:Okay to read The Sentinels without the rest?

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

DUDE.. LET IT GO..

NOTHING WAS LEFT. INVID JUST WIPED IT ALL OUT. NO AJAX, NO HOVERTANK....

JUST LET GO..

ALPHA AND CYCLONE RULED POST INVID INVASION.

Bah! See what I mean? Tommy Yune logic is inescapable...like death, taxes and @sshole politicians.
14 years 1 month ago #10298

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Okay to read The Sentinels without the rest?

Brooklyn Red Leg

Bah! See what I mean? Tommy Yune logic is inescapable...like death, taxes and @sshole politicians.

UMM, CARL MACEK DID IT. HE PUT SOUTHERN CROSS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SAGAS.

:P
14 years 1 month ago #10300

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

UMM, CARL MACEK DID IT. HE PUT SOUTHERN CROSS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SAGAS.

Yes, and Carl Macek also had The Army of the Southern Cross as part of The Sentinels. This is confirmed in every single pre-Yune iteration except for Palladium (and Southern Cross stuff STILL showed up in some form, though not as prevalent as in the novelizations/comics/Tv scripts). Jack and Karen, after all, carry Wolverine Assault Rifles, Badger caseless auto-pistols and ride Flashclapper hovercycles.
14 years 1 month ago #10305

• Mobius-Archer
  • Mobius-Archer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Micronian
  • Micronian

Replied by Mobius-Archer on topic Re:Okay to read The Sentinels without the rest?

If none of the Sentinels stuff was ever officially canon, than does it really matter? Or am i wrong, and one of the various tellings of the Sentinels story really was meant to be canon at one point?
14 years 1 month ago #10307

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Mobius Archer wrote:

If none of the Sentinels stuff was ever officially canon, than does it really matter? Or am i wrong, and one of the various tellings of the Sentinels story really was meant to be canon at one point?

That changes with each passing year. Prelude is SUPPOSEDLY canon and it uses The Sentinels as its basis, so your guess is as good as mine.
14 years 1 month ago #10308

Mobius Archer

OLD SENTINELS DOES NOT REALLY MATTER.

ELEMENTS WERE BROUGHT IN DO TO CARL'S VISION OF SENTINELS. BUT I THINK FOR MORE TO ATTACH SHADOW CHRONICLES TO THE 3 SAGAS STORY'S THAN WHAT SENTINELS TRUE INTENTION OF ATTACHING MACROSS TO SOUTHERN CROSS.
14 years 1 month ago #10315

• blackconvoy_D01
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by blackconvoy_D01 on topic Re:Okay to read The Sentinels without the rest?

I hope the Sentinels remain cannon. I just got all of the Sentinels comics and the Invid War Series and Im reading thuroghly. I cant believe that this anime never came into fruition.
My appreciation pics page:
www.flickr.com/photos/26350372@N04/
13 years 8 months ago #12891

I BEEN LOOKING INTO MUCH OF ALL THAT WORK AGAIN AS OF LATE AND TALKING TO A FEW FANS. MIGHT AS WELL LET YOU KNOW WHAT YOU NEED TO DIVE INTO...

1.YOU HAVE CARL MACEK'S SENTINELS DVD WITH DOCUMENTARY. YOU MIGHT WANT TO LISTEN TO THAT. HE GIVES A GOOD REPORT AFTER 15 YEARS OF ROBOTECH AND WHAT WENT ON WITH SENTINELS AND LOOK THROUGH THE CHARACTER DESIGNS AND MECHA AND BIO'S ON THE DVD AS WELL.

2.ROBOTECH ART 3

3.THEN YOU HAVE THE SENTINELS SCRIPT 1 AND 2.

4.SENTINELS RPG index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=5525
http://index.rpg.net/pictures/show-water.phtml?picid=7809

5.THE FIRST SENTINEL NOVELS DEAL WITH A LOT OF WHAT THE SENTINELS WAS GOING INTO BUT THE REST JUST GOES OFF IN A DIFFERENT DIRECTION WITH OTHER PLOT ELEMENTS.

6.WALTRIP BROTHERS OWN TAKE ON THE IMAGINATION OF THE SENTINELS. FIRST FEW COMICS ARE INLINE WITH THE STORY BUT RIGHT OFF THE BAT LITTLE AFTER THEY TAKE A COMPLETE DIFFERENT ROUT.

AND FINALLY...

7.PRELUDE TO THE SHADOW CHRONICLES.
EVEN THOUGHT WALTRIP'S HAD A LOT TO DO WITH THE WRITING AND ORIGINAL STORY, THEY STILL HAD TO FOLLOW TOMMY YUNE'S TEMPLATE LEADING INTO SHADOW CHRONICLES.

SO WHEN YOU SAY CANNON... YOU ASKING A LOT TO CHEW ON. A GOOD IDEA WOULD BE TO ORGANIZE THIS INTO ONE HUGE STORY AND MANY FAN FICS DEALT WITH THIS. BUT FOR HG TO GET INVOLVED ITS VERY PROBLEMATIC CONSIDERING "FORMERLY KNOWN AS ADV", HAS THE RIGHTS TO THE NAME PER DISTRIBUTION. DON'T KNOW IF THEY HOLDING ONTO THE DISTRIBUTION RIGHTS TO FORCE HG INTO A DVD DEAL. BUT WITHOUT ABLE TO MOVE FROM THAT MESS, ANY WORK GOING INTO THE SENTINELS LOOKS TO FAR OFF.
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
13 years 8 months ago #12900

Time to create page: 0.392 seconds