Okay to read The Sentinels without the rest?

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:Okay to read The Sentinels without the rest?

blackconvoy_D01 wrote:

I hope the Sentinels remain cannon. I just got all of the Sentinels comics and the Invid War Series and Im reading thuroghly. I cant believe that this anime never came into fruition.

Memo makes a good point...with no complete animated show, there simply is no definitive version of the Sentinels. As such, there's nothing there to BE canon, especially with the tweaks to the story apparently done by the more recent HG staff.

Of course, maybe someone will come out the the official, accepted-by-all, canonical Sentinels story, but I doubt it'll happen. The existing versions (i.e. the novels, the comics, and the story outlines and scripts) are all like variations on a theme...except the theme is missing.
13 years 8 months ago #12902

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• blackconvoy_D01
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by blackconvoy_D01 on topic Re:Okay to read The Sentinels without the rest?

Gubaba wrote:

blackconvoy_D01 wrote:

I hope the Sentinels remain cannon. I just got all of the Sentinels comics and the Invid War Series and Im reading thuroghly. I cant believe that this anime never came into fruition.

Memo makes a good point...with no complete animated show, there simply is no definitive version of the Sentinels. As such, there's nothing there to BE canon, especially with the tweaks to the story apparently done by the more recent HG staff.

Of course, maybe someone will come out the the official, accepted-by-all, canonical Sentinels story, but I doubt it'll happen. The existing versions (i.e. the novels, the comics, and the story outlines and scripts) are all like variations on a theme...except the theme is missing.

The novels are good until the end of the circle. However so far I can more easily go from rt-macross, to the sentinels (comics), to masters, then to tng, back to sentinels and invid war (and rt: invasion) to prelude then sc. I love the comics, not evey issue is fantastic but its given me more rt in a media sense than I've had in a long while.
My appreciation pics page:
www.flickr.com/photos/26350372@N04/
13 years 8 months ago #12904

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Okay to read The Sentinels without the rest?

Gubaba wrote:

blackconvoy_D01 wrote:

TO ADD TO WHAT GUBABA SAID IN A NUTSHELL...

THIS IS WHAT BEEN THE FIGHT AMONGST THE FANDOM THROUGH THE MCKENNIEST, RPG'RS, O.G. SERIES WATCHERS, COMIC READERS, AND MACEK FOLLOWERS THROUGH THE ORIGINAL SENTINELS, OCM PURISTS

I AM ABLE TO ENJOY EVERY STORY FOR WHAT IT IS AND JUST HOLD THE SERIES AS THE ROBOTECH ORIGINAL SOURCE AND JUST TAKE IF FROM THERE.

AND FORGOT TO ADD.. A LOT OF IT ALSO COMES FROM THE MASTERS SAGA. SINCE SENTINELS WAS THE BRIDGE BETWEEN MACROSS AND SENTINELS. A LOT FROM MASTERS SAGA WAS TAKEN LIKE STORY TO THE LOOK. SO YOU ALSO HAVE TO SEE THE MASTERS TO GET A FEEL FOR THE BACKWARDS TECHNOLOGY THAT WAS PUT IN SENTINELS.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
13 years 8 months ago #12908

• blackconvoy_D01
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by blackconvoy_D01 on topic Re:Okay to read The Sentinels without the rest?

I wonder if its possible to do a sentinels comic web series. Edit out the nonsense and chop it down a bit. Redo all the art and have weekly showing of new episodes on youtube. That would make the sentinels official cannon now wouldn't it?!? Or let's say a fan makes vids of the sentinels comics with music and all?
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by blackconvoy_D01.
13 years 8 months ago #12909

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:Okay to read The Sentinels without the rest?

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

A LOT OF IT ALSO COMES FROM THE MASTERS SAGA. SINCE SENTINELS WAS THE BRIDGE BETWEEN MACROSS AND SENTINELS. A LOT FROM MASTERS SAGA WAS TAKEN LIKE STORY TO THE LOOK. SO YOU ALSO HAVE TO SEE THE MASTERS TO GET A FEEL FOR THE BACKWARDS TECHNOLOGY THAT WAS PUT IN SENTINELS.

I'm assuming you are NOT saying 'backwards technology' meaning inferior technology. If you are, I'd like to have you explain how hover vehicles represent 'backward' technology compared to the low-tech wheeled vehicles seen in The New Generation. If there is one thing I cannot stand, its the asinine statement that technology REGRESSED between the 1st Robotech War and the 2nd Robotech War (a completely and totally untrue statement).
13 years 8 months ago #12910

• blackconvoy_D01
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Brooklyn Red Leg wrote:

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

A LOT OF IT ALSO COMES FROM THE MASTERS SAGA. SINCE SENTINELS WAS THE BRIDGE BETWEEN MACROSS AND SENTINELS. A LOT FROM MASTERS SAGA WAS TAKEN LIKE STORY TO THE LOOK. SO YOU ALSO HAVE TO SEE THE MASTERS TO GET A FEEL FOR THE BACKWARDS TECHNOLOGY THAT WAS PUT IN SENTINELS.

I'm assuming you are NOT saying 'backwards technology' meaning inferior technology. If you are, I'd like to have you explain how hover vehicles represent 'backward' technology compared to the low-tech wheeled vehicles seen in The New Generation. If there is one thing I cannot stand, its the asinine statement that technology REGRESSED between the 1st Robotech War and the 2nd Robotech War (a completely and totally untrue statement).

If you've ever seen the aramaki mospeada file they flirted with a hover ride armor. Personally I love the hovertank, and think that they should be equiped with ride armor.
13 years 8 months ago #12912

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:Okay to read The Sentinels without the rest?

blackconvoy_D01 wrote:

If you've ever seen the aramaki mospeada file they flirted with a hover ride armor. Personally I love the hovertank, and think that they should be equiped with ride armor.

Well, once they upgrade all the VHT-1A's to VHT-1A1's (all energy model, replacing the 105mm smoothbore with the 220mm beam cannon) the off-arm ammo magazine can be completely replaced. It should be large enough to hold a Cyclone in Storage Mode and the mechanism necessary to move/lift it to be deployed.
13 years 8 months ago #12921

• blackconvoy_D01
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

True. However I didn't like the upgraded hovertank. I want to make sentinels vids using music and stills from the comics. I wonder if it would work, being that is in b & w. Here is a sample of the last time I tried it:

13 years 8 months ago #12922

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Okay to read The Sentinels without the rest?

BROOK

MY BAD, MEANT TO SAY BACKWARDS STORY.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
13 years 8 months ago #12935

Replied by mojomike on topic Re:Okay to read The Sentinels without the rest?

As I am writing my own fan comic, that takes place between the last issue of the Sentinels and the Prelude series I have been going over a lot of material on the Sentinels. Personally I fine the comics most enjoyable. While I do like the DVD as it’s the best way to get a taste of what might have been. However do to its weird editing a lot of things were taken out of sequence and ends up not making a lot of sense, plus it just kinds of ends. The plot outline in Art 3 is very different form the comic and series. It’s also very vague. As for the Jack McKinney books, there are not as many differences between them and the comics, but they do exist. I also fine some of the things that happen at the end of book 5 down right odd, and I’m glade they changed most of it for the Prelude.

Anyway for those interested my comic is in the fan project section under the thread NewRobotechComic.
12 years 5 months ago #17593

Time to create page: 0.379 seconds