2017 comics

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet
  • Thank you received: 96

2017 comics was created by Peter Young

Fall 2016 someone posted on the site new Robotech comics were to appear. Ordered it a a comic store, but never heard it arrived. It didn't got mentioned here as far as I know, so I assumed it was just another promise never delivered.

Just spent half an hour listening to songs on YouTube. Regular pop songs, but at some point, I filled in 'Invid Strike' (by far my favourite!). Which got me in the mood of rewatching the Sentinels sales real. And at the right, this clip appeared between the other movies:

Does this mean that for once, new Robotech material actually appeared?
And that I should ask that store why they forgot to inform me?
6 years 3 months ago #26449

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet

Replied by Peter Young on topic 2017 comics

Then again, the clips suggest it's basically just a retelling of the original story. In that case, I would prefer a re-isssue of the eighties comics.

What LG said in a 'landing bay' post about the difference in anime animation of the eighties and the present applies, in my opinion, also to the way Ameircan comics are drawn. I prefer the styles of the seventies and the eighties over the more cartoonish ways that became standard somewhere along the nineties.

I definitely prefer a larger number of smaller pannels over the present day standard of large drawings and fewer things happening in a single comic.
Back then, there also used to be more dialogue.

There are exemptions, like the halfway '00s She-Hulk stories by Dan Sloth and the current IDW Transformers monthly by James Roberts. Those had/have dialogues and characterization.

Nowadays they use two or three issues to tell stories that back then would be told in just one issue.
Even if the prices had not gone up, I'd feel cheated!

It's one of the reasons I stopped collecting comics. No longer the money's worth.
Last edit: 6 years 3 months ago by Peter Young.
6 years 3 months ago #26450

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic 2017 comics

So I've been reading this series lately, caught up as far as I know to issue #5. And I have a lot of ranting to do, under spoilers OFC so bear with me!

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

So yeah fuck all that! They killed off
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]
and the main reason I'm in such a hurry to read issue #6 is because of all the hate mail incoming. It's going to be such a shit show and I'm going to enjoy every minute of it.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
6 years 3 months ago #26452

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic 2017 comics

YEAH, BOUGHT UP TO ISSUE 4 AND SOON AS THEY CAME OUT AS WELL AT LAST YEAR COMIC CON.

GOT SOME GRIPES ABOUT IT.

HAPPY, FOR SOME REASON CANT SEE YOUR POST VERY WELL.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes
6 years 3 months ago #26454

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

MEMO1DOMINION wrote: YEAH, BOUGHT UP TO ISSUE 4 AND SOON AS THEY CAME OUT AS WELL AT LAST YEAR COMIC CON.

GOT SOME GRIPES ABOUT IT.

HAPPY, FOR SOME REASON CANT SEE YOUR POST VERY WELL.

Yeah apologies, for some reason spoilers have some kind of pale background that doesn't bode well with light colored text. I think it would be a simple fix in forum appearance editor or something.

IDK tired rn about to take one of my many daily naps.

6 years 3 months ago #26455

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet

2 short questions:

1) is it an original story or just a retelling of 'Macross Saga'?

2) is it worth buying?
6 years 3 months ago #26456

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Peter Young wrote: 2 short questions:

1) is it an original story or just a retelling of 'Macross Saga'?

2) is it worth buying?

1) No it is not original in any shape or form, and it's definitely a retelling of Macross Saga but with some SJW/feminist changes *barf* They also removed a lot of memorable moments from the story.

2) From a collectible standpoint, yes. For the story itself? No you're better off finding and reading it online.

Some of the changes they've made to the story were completely unnecessary and IMO have ruined it.

One major change is that Rick and Roy are now actual brothers, but then a really stupid character death happened and now the story has to be completely altered because of that decision. My beef is that it happened way too early on.

6 years 3 months ago #26457

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

JFC I have no idea what these writers are doing with this god damn comic. But its becoming too fucken atrocious to continue reading.

And one has to wonder if this is what the live action movie is gonna be based on, cause if so then count me out. I am beyond annoyed with these stupid and unnecessary changes that in no way shape or form, reflect the same charm and heart of the original series.

Some of these changes to the story make no fucking sense, pardon my Italian. But WHY?
And first of all, no I don't believe everything has to be the same, but I also don't believe it needs to be so god damn complicating either. This new story is hard as shit to follow and downright confusing.

I feel like after Scott Gimple ruined my beloved Walking Dead series he decided to ruin Robotech too!

5 years 9 months ago #26499

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic 2017 comics

On one hand it feels like they wanted to "distance themselves" from the original Macross with an original story, then realized they have no idea how to do that so just made an abridged version instead which removes all of the memorable moments, attempting to replace them with hot garbage. (on that front, they succeeded)
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Alpha Bravo.
5 years 9 months ago #26500

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet

After you comments half a year ago I haven't even bothered to mail the comic store to ask if they remember I once ordered the new Robotech comics. Seems to have been a good decision.

Cannot help but wonder what would have happened if IDW had been licensed. You have this company that has proven itself capable of making license based comics that satisfy both old and new fans - so HG decides to hire another one.

Concerning the movie: after the first 'Bayformers' in 2007, I stopped hoping for movie adaptions of old cartoons. G. I. Joe-moevies weren't good either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpha Bravo
Last edit: 5 years 9 months ago by Peter Young.
5 years 9 months ago #26504

Time to create page: 0.550 seconds