Untold Story

• Lobizon
  • Lobizon's Avatar Topic Author
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Bounty Hunter! =☠=
  • Thank you received: 4

Untold Story was created by Lobizon

Robotech: The Movie, also called Robotech: The Untold Story, was the first new Robotech adventure created by Harmony Gold USA after the 1985 premiere of the original television series. The 1986 theatrical film used footage from part one of Megazone 23 spliced with The Southern Cross and had only a tenuous link to the television series.
Last edit: 14 years 3 weeks ago by Lobizon.
15 years 10 months ago #408

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Lobizon
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Bounty Hunter! =☠=

Replied by Lobizon on topic Production history

According to interviews with director/producer Carl Macek, the project had originally been intended to be more of a straight dub of Megazone 23 with dialogue and music changes to reflect the Robotech universe. As originally conceived, it was set during the return of the SDF-1 from Pluto with the protagonist Mark Landry, a relative of Rick Hunter, finding out about the government's coverup of the SDF-1's fate, and Landry fighting to make the information known.

However, at the time, Tatsunoko Productions was involved in promoting their own Macross movie, Do You Remember Love, and insisted that Macek not use elements of the Macross story, so as to avoid possible confusion. Also, distributor Cannon Films felt there were "too many girls and not enough robots and guns," and didn't like Megazone's downer ending, either. Thus, Macek rewrote the story to take place shortly before the Second Robotech War, cut segments of Southern Cross footage into it, and commissioned animation studio The Idol Co. to animate a new ending (which was later included on the laserdisc of Megazone 23, Part II). The new version involved the Robotech Masters kidnapping and replicating veteran officer B.D. Andrews to steal the memory core of the SDF-1.

Because Megazone 23 (an OVA) and Southern Cross (a TV series) were shot on different film stock, 35mm and 16mm respectively, the visual inconsistency was very noticeable on the big screen.

The B.D. Andrews character was named B.D. Edwards in the original cut of the Robotech movie. Taking place during in the Macross saga timeframe, it was the intention that he was to be a younger version of the Colonel Edwards that would later appear in Robotech II: The Sentinels which was in the planning stages at the time. However, the rejection of the first cut of the movie involved relocating the time frame to the Robotech Masters era. Because Edwards would be elsewhere during that time frame, the name of the character was changed to B.D. Andrews, and he was made into a colonel of earth's defense forces who would become abducted and replaced by a Master's simulagent. Also, the Colonel Edwards that does appear in Sentinels was eventually named T.R. Edwards.

Saludos;)
Last edit: 15 years 10 months ago by Lobizon.
15 years 10 months ago #409

• Lobizon
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Bounty Hunter! =☠=

Replied by Lobizon on topic Limited release

The movie disappeared from the United States after a failed test-run in Texas. However, in other territories such as Argentina and Belgium, it ran successfully in cinemas and had a VHS release in Spanish (by International Video Entertainment) and with Dutch subtitles (by Vestron Video), respectively. Harmony Gold relinquished their license to Megazone 23 , so home video releases were limited to the few VHS tapes that had been in limited circulation in Europe and Latin America.

Some animatics and other supplemental material were released as extras with ADV Films' Robotech DVD release. After ADV acquired the home video rights to Megazone 23, some fans have held hope that a home video release of Robotech: The Movie would again be possible. However, neither ADV nor any other distributor has announced plans for a DVD release of the film.

Source for all the thread: Robotech The Movie @Wiki

Saludos;)
Last edit: 15 years 9 months ago by Lobizon.
15 years 10 months ago #410

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by Last_Valk_Standing on topic Re:Untold Story

Thanks for the info posts. I really enjoyed them ^_^

It stinks that so many projects never see the light of day :(
Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL
Huge fan of Attention On Deck website.

Official Reporter for MNN (Macross News Network LOL)
15 years 10 months ago #412

• Lobizon
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Bounty Hunter! =☠=

Replied by Lobizon on topic Re:Untold Story

Thanx for the feedback @Last,on YouTube it's the entire movie,but is spanish dubbing version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7De_v5ifcQ

Saludos;)
15 years 10 months ago #413

• Lobizon
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Bounty Hunter! =☠=

Replied by Lobizon on topic Re:Untold Story

I find out on YouTube looks like those are the cinema version of the trailer in english

Large version

Short version

Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by Lobizon.
15 years 10 months ago #420

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Untold Story

actually, one of my fan projects is to re-due the robotech the movie with new voices and organize it closer to teh southern cross era.

since they use southern cross splices i wanted to dub the original as seen in the robotech series with its original voice actors. get fan voice actors to fill in the rest.

cameo apearance by michael bradley, since its his music that comes out teh most.

cost: 4000 G's...

but would be for free for people to see it.

HG has shown no intrest and do not want to go back to a failed project. but for a fan lake me...as a fandom project i think i can make it work. new script and all. including more splices from megazone 23.

will need voices for the characters thought.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
15 years 10 months ago #424

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by Last_Valk_Standing on topic Re:Untold Story

That would be sweet! I don't think the reason for failure of these shows are right. With everything going on right now i think a re-visit would be worth it to them on a monitary level as well LOL. Hey MEMO sounds good, You keep us posted on that one right?
Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL
Huge fan of Attention On Deck website.

Official Reporter for MNN (Macross News Network LOL)
15 years 10 months ago #427

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Untold Story

getting off topic but to add, i hope i can start work on it in the end of 2009. to much cramped up right now and funds wont come in till then.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
15 years 10 months ago #436

• Mark-Warlock
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Mark-Warlock on topic Re:Untold Story

I remember watching this movie here in Texas when it was on limited release. I always liked it.

I told this story on RT.com but saw this thread and thought I would tell it here.

I met a guy back in May who had worked in the movie industry for years. He had an extensive collection of movie posters that he had aquired over the years in the business. Funny thing about it he didn't really care much about them, Though he had them stored very well.

ANYWAY... We got to talking about Old animated movies and I mentioned Robotech: The Untold Story. Amazingly he knew exactly what I was talking about and produced not one... but TWO of the most beautiful examples of ORIGINAL theater posters he had aquired when the movie was in limited release here in Texas. To my complete shock and surprise he GAVE me one of these rare posters. I still can not believe it.

The posters is awesome.

Here is a picture of it in it's new Frame. The thing weighs a ton now.
A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am I or are the others crazy? - Albert Einstein

Find Mark Warlock now on Facebook.
Last edit: 15 years 9 months ago by Mark-Warlock.
15 years 9 months ago #714
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.535 seconds