Odyssey

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet
  • Thank you received: 96

Odyssey was created by Peter Young

Most descriptions on Odyssey are about time travel being a major part of it. Personally I dislike series that at some point end up with people turning back in time to change or confirm events.

Only just recently I had the displeasure of finding out why people hate 'End of Circle' so much.

But about a month ago, I discovered this site.
robotechlegacy.freeservers.com/

Click on 'Robotech II' and you will find this paragraph:

The only piece of information known about The Odyssey Saga, is that it was to be a series showing how Rick Hunter & his crew made it back to Earth.

Which would not only finally explain the title, but also be a very good starting point for a series!!!

Ignore the time travel crap, simply focus on how thy try to make it back to Earth!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpha Bravo
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Peter Young.
6 years 11 months ago #25946

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic Odyssey

Excatamundo, dude!

Ever since Rick and Lisa left on the SDF-3, fans have wanted to know what they did afterwards. Sentinels and EotC are non-canon (for now), and that's not necessarily a bad thing. But then you get Robotech 3000, Robotech Academy, and even Shadow Chronicles, WHICH INCLUDES RICK AS A GODDAMN CAMEO APPEARANCE before sucking him into a black hole.

Sentinels movie is canon. And it's not bad. Start from there, tell the real Rick stories. What's with this other crap. I'm 99% sure (there's always a chance I'm wrong since I don't work for HG of course) that End of the Circle was written from storyboards and notes for Odyssey. EotC was about the SDF-3's voyage home, and involved time travel, with Minmei becoming Zor's mom. From what little we know of Odyssey, that matches up.

You've already declared the bulk of Sentinels non-canon. EotC is non-canon. So why do a flip-flop and have these new comics tell those same stories making them canon again.

I mean, they changed the names of the Macross characters to begin with. In Sentinels they got a design overhaul. Although you could *wink wink nudge nudge* and elbow someone in the ribs, for all legal intents and purposes they are now "original" characters. They are no longer fighting Zentraedi, so the gigantic VF-1's are phased out, replaced with the more compact Alphas with Beta support. And you've got free reign to use Southern Cross and Mospeada however you like. There is literally nothing in the way of telling a proper Sentinels story. Why don't you just do that.

30 years later, my mind is still blown.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
6 years 11 months ago #25956

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet
  • Thank you received: 96

Replied by Peter Young on topic Odyssey

Alpha Bravo wrote: I'm 99% sure (there's always a chance I'm wrong since I don't work for HG of course) that End of the Circle was written from storyboards and notes for Odyssey.

Anyone know how to contact Captain JLS (Jonathan Switzer)? He seems most likely to know these kind of things.

I'm not sure how much value must be given to any synopsis or even storyboards - in the sense that whatever may have been imagined initially could still have been altered, replaced or drobbed entirely during production.
Even if Macek had a clear view of how the story would go, he might had changed things after sparring with creative collegues of after test audiences reactions.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpha Bravo
Last edit: 6 years 10 months ago by Peter Young.
6 years 10 months ago #25988

Time to create page: 0.403 seconds