The Sentinels animation production values

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Brooklyn-Red-Leg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 0

The Sentinels animation production values was created by Brooklyn-Red-Leg

Ok,

I'm seriously puzzled when I hear people (anime fans, usually, sometimes Macross fans in particular) state that the animation for The Sentinels was 'crap'. This, to me, is going beyond a judgement value of 'I don't like the animation'. Now, let me perfectly clear on something. I'm NOT talking about the production value of The Sentinels OVA, since that was a salvage job to try and turn the animation at hand into something marketable.

The animation itself had production values similar to other anime of the day. It may not have been the best, but it was not the goddamned worst! Are there goofs in the animation? Of course (the changing Alpha colours from Green to Blue and back again, the Beta attached to Karen's YVF-6A Alpha when it was clearly shown NOT attached earlier). I seem to truly be baffled at how someone could plainly state 'Its crap' when discussing JUST the animation itself (not story etc).
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by Brooklyn-Red-Leg.
14 years 2 months ago #9543

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• MIlkManX
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet
  • There is no Robotech gospel
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by MIlkManX on topic Re: The Sentinels animation production values

I have to agree. Even watching it now it looks no worse than the original Robotech series.
I still wonder what would have been had it been finished..
11 years 3 months ago #19950

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: The Sentinels animation production values

Brooklyn Red Leg wrote:

Ok,

I'm seriously puzzled when I hear people (anime fans, usually, sometimes Macross fans in particular) state that the animation for The Sentinels was 'crap'. This, to me, is going beyond a judgement value of 'I don't like the animation'. Now, let me perfectly clear on something. I'm NOT talking about the production value of The Sentinels OVA, since that was a salvage job to try and turn the animation at hand into something marketable.

The animation itself had production values similar to other anime of the day. It may not have been the best, but it was not the goddamned worst! Are there goofs in the animation? Of course (the changing Alpha colours from Green to Blue and back again, the Beta attached to Karen's YVF-6A Alpha when it was clearly shown NOT attached earlier). I seem to truly be baffled at how someone could plainly state 'Its crap' when discussing JUST the animation itself (not story etc).

I JUST THINK OF "Red Photon Zillion" ENOUGH SAID.

MIlkManX wrote:

I have to agree. Even watching it now it looks no worse than the original Robotech series.
I still wonder what would have been had it been finished..

EVEN THOUGHT ROBOTECH THE SENTINELS WAS DROPPED, TATSUNOKO CONTINUED WITH IT AS "RED PHOTON ZILLION" WITH SOME OF THE ANIMATION CONCEPTS FROM SENTINELS MAKING IT IN WITH THE NEW STORY. ALSO BEAUTIFUL 80'S OPENING AS WELL. CARL MACEK WORKED ON ZILLION LATER THROUGH HIS COMPANY STREAMLINE PICTURES.

LITTLE MORE ON ANIMATION
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zillion_%28anime%29

Zillion, full title Red Photon Zillion (赤い光弾ジリオン Akai Kōdan Jirion?), is a Japanese anime television series that ran from April 12, 1987 to December 13, 1987 on Nippon Television in Japan and was produced by Tatsunoko Production and Sega. After the production of the anime, Tatsunoko Production and Mitsuhisa Ishikawa, the producer of Zillion, established Production I.G to obstruct the dispersing of the excellent staffs of Tatsunoko branch which had done actual production. Therefore, Zillion is considered to be Production I.G’s first work.[1][2] Five of the 31 episodes were dubbed into English and released on VHS in the United States by Streamline Pictures. This anime was featured in the music video for Michael and Janet Jackson’s collaboration Scream.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 11 years 3 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
11 years 3 months ago #19952

• MIlkManX
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet
  • There is no Robotech gospel
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by MIlkManX on topic Re: The Sentinels animation production values

Yeah I saw that when Streamline brought that one VHS here.

Dang I miss Streamline..
11 years 3 months ago #19954

Time to create page: 0.447 seconds