THE MAKING OF ROBOTECH UNIVERSE

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Alois-Fisher on topic Re:THE MAKING OF ROBOTECH UNIVERSE

The Super Dimension Fortress Macross series was created by Studio Nue under the sponsorship of Big West Advertising Co. Ltd., and animated by Tatsunoko Productions. The series was written by Kenichi Matsuzaki, Noboru Ishiguro, and Sukehiro Tomita. The show's character designs were created by Haruhiko Mikimoto, its mechanical designs were done by Shoji Kawamori and Kazutaka Miyatake. Its music was written by Kentaro Haneda.

Well good beginning. Haruhiko SATO (aka Mikimoto) made the character designs. (also in Gunbuster, Macross II, Macross 7…) MASANORI “Shôji” Kawamori (Gundam 0083, Harlock, Escaflowne, Arjuna, Movider with another name) made the mecha designs with Kazutaka Miyake (he is the creator of the SDF). The music by Haneda (Orguss, Cobra) does not matter because it was not used in Robotech.
Also must be added: Ichirô Itano, Narumi Kakinôchi (Megazone 23 I, Iczer One, Vampire Princess Miyu) and her husband: Toshiki “Toshihiro” Hirano (Izcer One, Gundam, Megazone 23 I, Iczelion)… there are so many important names…
14 years 6 months ago #7099

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • MEMO1DOMINION's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:THE MAKING OF ROBOTECH UNIVERSE

ALOIS

MASANORI

MASANORI?

ALOIS, BY CHANCE DO YOU HAVE THE BOOK NAME? REFERENCE WOULD HELP WHEN COLLECTING INFO LIKE THIS.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
14 years 6 months ago #7100

SETO:

Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross was created by Tatsunoko Productions under the sponsorship of Big West Advertising Co. Ltd.. The show's concept was developed by Akira Inoue and Yoshimasa Ohnishi. The show's character designs were done by Kogawa Tomonori, Miyo Sonoda, and Hiroyuki Kitazume. The mechanical designs were done by Ammonite (Hiroshi Ogawa, Hirotoshi Okura, and Takashi Ono). Its music was written by Ken Sato and Yuji Dan.

Well, I guess Tomonori (name) Kogawa (surname, be careful with the order) is one of the great masters of the character designation, for example Narumi Kakinôchi and Hiroyuki Kitazume learned so much from him. Yes, you forget the character designer Hiroyuki Kitazume (Megazone 23 I, III, Virgin Fleet, Moldiver, Gundam Z, Char´s Counterattack, Robot Carnival). Over again you posted about the music, NOT used in Robotech.
14 years 6 months ago #7101

SETO:

Genesis Climber Mospeada was creatd by Tatsunoko Productions and Artmic. The show's concept was created by Shinji Arimaki and Hideki Kakinuma, who also did the show's mechanical designs. The show was written by Sukehiro Tomita, Satoshi Namika, Ryo Yasumura, and Kenji Terada. Its character designs were done by Yoshitaka Amano. Much of the music was composed and arranged by Joe Hisaishi.

Ah Kogawa worked in L-Gaim (I love the opening Time For L-Gaim by MIO) and Tekkaman Blade.
According Mospeada. Shinji Aramaki is one of the great masters of mechanical designs, he worked in Megazone 23, Bubblegum Crisis, Bubblegum Crash. Kakinuma worked and created Gall Force. Kenji Terada is also well known not only as anime writer also because his novels.

MEMO:

MASANORI?

ALOIS, BY CHANCE DO YOU HAVE THE BOOK NAME? REFERENCE WOULD HELP WHEN COLLECTING INFO LIKE THIS.

i cannot scan my artbooks, but you can find this:
www.heavenofanime.org/web/biografia/shoji-kawamori
14 years 6 months ago #7102

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

NOT SETO'S FAULT.

I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE BEEN MORE SPECIFIC IN MY QUESTIONS AND WHAT I WANTED TO DO. WILL CHANGE THE FIRST POST.

TRU, THE MUSIC NEVER MADE IT INTO ROBOTECH.
14 years 6 months ago #7103

SETO

Megazone 23 was created by Shinji Aramaki and Noboru Ishiguro of Artmic, and produced by Artmic, AIC, and The Idol Co.. The show's character designs were done by Haruhiko Mikimoto, Toshihiro Hirano, and Toshitaka Hirano. Its mechanical designs were done by Artmic. The music was done by Shiro Sagisu and Hiroaki Serizawa.

The story was rewritten, and spliced together with material from Southern Cross, with a new ending animated by The Idol Co.

Eh? Toshitaka? hirano? Hirano made character designs, but TOSHIKI “Toshihiro” HIRANO. And his wife also: Narumi Kakinôchi. Mikimoto (real surname is Sato) made the charcter design of Eve Tokimatsuri. There are another names as key animators or animators as Hiroyuki Kitazume, Hideaki Anno (of Gainax: Evangelion, Nadia, Gunbuster…), Yûki Nobuteru (X, Escaflowne, Lodoss War) and Yasuomi Umetsu (Mezzo Forte, Robot Carnival, Cool Devices, Kite, Megazone 23 II)…

There also Amano made covers for Robotech comics, Terada and Tomita also worked in SChronicles...
14 years 6 months ago #7104

• Seto-Kaiba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Seto-Kaiba on topic Re:THE MAKING OF ROBOTECH UNIVERSE

Alois Fisher wrote:

Well good beginning.

Like I said, there's no effing point in retyping everyone's filmography when it's all readily available on ANN and other sites.

Rather than continue to waste time reiterating publicly available information, just link to ANN's encyclopedia and let them look things up for themselves if they really want to.

www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/an...list.php?list=custom

Alois Fisher wrote:

Mikimoto (real surname is Sato)

But he's credited as "Mikimoto" in both his animation work and artbooks, and "Mikimoto" is the name everyone knows him by. In the interest of clarity, the best way to list him would be as Mikimoto.
14 years 5 months ago #7108

• WDKaiserV1
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • I love Sheryl Nome ... She is so beautiful!!! ^^

Replied by WDKaiserV1 on topic Re:THE MAKING OF ROBOTECH UNIVERSE

Well?... ... ... ... ... ...

:huh:

I was expecting more from the "macross master" ... how disappointing...

:(
14 years 5 months ago #7109

• Seto-Kaiba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Seto-Kaiba on topic Re:THE MAKING OF ROBOTECH UNIVERSE

WDKaiserV1 wrote:

I was expecting more from the "macross master" ... how disappointing...

All MEMO asked for was some general information about the origins of Robotech. He didn't ask for every little detail, so I saw no need to waste my time and his by going into minutiae.

Since I watched Venture Bros season 4 ep1 last night, and a major theme of THAT show is failure... let's talk failure in the context of Robotech's origins!

Now if you want, I could speak at some length of the history of Robotech, but I don't think a vocal Macross hater like you would like some parts of that history... like the simple fact that the only reason the Robotech adaptation exists at all is because Harmony Gold needed a way to make their dub of Super Dimension Fortress Macross long enough for syndication.

Of course, there are better failures in the Macross Saga adaptation to speak of... like the fact that according to Rebecca Forstadt (aka Reba West, the actress who voiced Minmei), the crew had to get her liquored up before she could be persuaded to sing those terrible songs.

I could also point out that the Masters Saga, which is far and away the most important to the altered story of the Robotech adaptation, is not only the most disliked saga, the show it was made from did so poorly in Japan that it was canceled something like 3-4 episodes short of its intended duration. Robotech is, in hindsight, quite likely the best thing that ever happened to Super Dimension Cavalry: Southern Cross.

Not to mention that Genesis Climber Mospeada got mediocre ratings in Japan, and was largely a commercial failure, which spawned only a wrap-up OVA (Mospeada: Love Live Alive after failing to move much in the way of merchandise.

The alleged cause of the cancellation of Robotech II: the Sentinels was the $/¥ exchange rate crash and the lack of support from merchandise partner Matchbox. We only have Carl Macek's word to go on, so this may or may not be true, since the project was already having trouble well before its cancellation. The spectacular letdown that was Sentinels even prompted suspicions that the whole Robotech universe was cursed to failure... a suspicion only recently invalidated.

Robotech: the Untold Story went over like a lead balloon due to the aforementioned problems with image quality (the mix of 35mm and 16mm film stock used in its creation). Shoddy advertising was also cited by HG as a cause of its failure, as well as stiff competition from the higher-budgeted Transformers movie, and parental outrage caused by the adult themes in a movie that was nominally aimed at children.

Robotech 3000 never got farther than the initial teaser trailer, because the fan response to the CG series was OVERWHELMINGLY negative. The show's cancellation was later blamed on animation studio Netter Digital, which if memory serves had filed for bankruptcy.

We could talk about the veritable gold mine of poor decisionmaking that was the old comics and their first stab at a videogame (Robotech: Crystal Dreams), but the problems there can be neatly summed up in the words of Kevin McKeever... that Harmony Gold issued licenses to those companies, and exercised little-to-no creative oversight during the production of those products. Of course, that's an extremely polite way of putting it... a less polite but probably more accurate assessment might be that Harmony Gold whored the license to anyone willing to pay for it, then largely ignored the resulting low quality of the products those licensees produced.
Last edit: 14 years 5 months ago by Seto-Kaiba.
14 years 5 months ago #7110

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

CALM DOWN GUYS. THIS IS NOT A "I KNOW MORE THAN YOU" THREAD. BUT THEN AGAIN ITS HARDCORE.

NOW
SETO

but the problems there can be neatly summed up in the words of Kevin McKeever... that Harmony Gold issued licenses to those companies, and exercised little-to-no creative oversight during the production of those products. Of course, that's an extremely polite way of putting it... a less polite but probably more accurate assessment might be that Harmony Gold whored the license to anyone willing to pay for it, then largely ignored the resulting low quality of the products those licensees produced.

THIS IS VERY TRUE. WHY HG BEEN ACQUIRING EVERYTHING BACK WHEN ALAN LETZ CLEANED HOUSE AROUND 1998 THROUGH 2000.

Now if you want, I could speak at some length of the history of Robotech, but I don't think a vocal Macross hater like you would like some parts of that history... like the simple fact that the only reason the Robotech adaptation exists at all is because Harmony Gold needed a way to make their dub of Super Dimension Fortress Macross long enough for syndication.

Of course, there are better failures in the Macross Saga adaptation to speak of... like the fact that according to Rebecca Forstadt (aka Reba West, the actress who voiced Minmei), the crew had to get her liquored up before she could be persuaded to sing those terrible songs.

I could also point out that the Masters Saga, which is far and away the most important to the altered story of the Robotech adaptation, is not only the most disliked saga, the show it was made from did so poorly in Japan that it was canceled something like 3-4 episodes short of its intended duration. Robotech is, in hindsight, quite likely the best thing that ever happened to Super Dimension Cavalry: Southern Cross.

Not to mention that Genesis Climber Mospeada got mediocre ratings in Japan, and was largely a commercial failure, which spawned only a wrap-up OVA (Mospeada: Love Live Alive after failing to move much in the way of merchandise.

SO FAILURE IN JAPAN IS... SUCCESS AROUND THE WORLD AS ROBOTECH.

THERE WAS MUCH MORE GOING ON AT THE HG BUILDING FOR THE 9 MONTHS THAT ROBOTECH WAS BEING MADE. ACTORS SLEEPING AT THE BUILDING, TO MUCH COFFEE, AND NOT JUST REBA, BUT OTHERS HITTING THE BARS THAT WERE ACROSS THE STREET FOR BREAKS.

SURE TURNED OUT GREAT FOR ROBOTECH THAT THERE WAS A TEAM THAT REALLY PUSHED SOMETHING OUT IN TIME. SO REBA DRINKING IS NOT A FAILURE, OR WHATEVER OTHERS WERE DOING IN ITS TIME. HECK, I HEARD THINGS FROM THE ORIGINAL JAPANESE CREATORS AS WELL.. BUT THAT WOULD BELONG IN ANOTHER FORUM. ANYTHING TO CALM THE NERVES.

HECK, THAT'S HOLLYWOOD. AND JAPAN IS NO DIFFERENT FROM IT.
14 years 5 months ago #7112

Time to create page: 0.543 seconds