Robotech D6 (Using OpenD6 from West End Games)

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Jaymz on topic Re:Robotech D6 (Using OpenD6 from West End Games)

Well I had 1st edition....I still have 2nd and 2nd R&E as well as tons of the supplements. I'll help whatever way I can for sure.
14 years 2 months ago #9770

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Replied by teedeeus on topic Re:Robotech D6 (Using OpenD6 from West End Games)

Jaymz wrote:

Well I had 1st edition....I still have 2nd and 2nd R&E as well as tons of the supplements. I'll help whatever way I can for sure.

Eeexceeelleeeent! * rubs hands together maniacally *
14 years 2 months ago #9771

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Brooklyn-Red-Leg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:Robotech D6 (Using OpenD6 from West End Games)

Jaymz wrote:

Do a Google search for D6 Space, its free on the web. That'll give you a solid look at the setup.
14 years 2 months ago #9772

All of the D6 books can be found here (since westendgames.com is not working right now.):

http://unifieduniverse.com/

It's ALL there :)

EDIT:
These downloads also can be found at Polgarus Games. Info can be found here: http://www.polgarusgames.com/polgarus-games-mirroring-d6-ogl-files-111
Their download page is here: http://www.polgarusgames.com/download-page
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by teedeeus. Reason: Found more downloads :)
14 years 2 months ago #9773

Sweet thanks guys I'll get read up and then I'll be up to speed to help out. :D

BRL - I take it your scales essentially mirror the SW scales?
14 years 2 months ago #9795

Jaymz wrote:

Sweet thanks guys I'll get read up and then I'll be up to speed to help out. :D

BRL - I take it your scales essentially mirror the SW scales?

I don't know yet. We should take a look at all the different ways to do scale. One of the things I want to do is to keep the "average" of anything at 3D, and let scale modifiers take care of the rest. That would make it more realistic fighting a much larger invid, but both the cyclone and the invid would have d3 worth of body(structure, whatever). I don't know what that will look like yet.

-teedeeus
14 years 2 months ago #9797

Hmm...well if the invid was on battloid scale at 3d and hte cyclone is at the next one down at 3d....

IIRC the old SW way the die cap between scales is 3 so a Cyclone weapon that does 3d would do a max of 9 damage against a inviod scout one scale higher which can roll on average 10 to resist on 3d. Sound about right? Or are the scales I am using in this example one level to high?
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by Jaymz.
14 years 2 months ago #9798

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Brooklyn-Red-Leg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:Robotech D6 (Using OpenD6 from West End Games)

A Cyclone would have a 3D Vehicle body while an Invid Shocktrooper would have a 3D Battloid body. I'm not using variable resist, but the idea is basically the same. However, I'm a fan of 'weak spots' on mecha and the Shocktrooper has 2 critical weakspots: Camera Eye and Jump Jets (shoot through either one and you can kill the pilot). Any Heroic strike roll should automatically hit the weak point, killing said enemy mecha (assuming it has a weak spot, some don't like the Invid Command Battloid).

To kill said Shocktrooper, the Cyclone Rider needs to employ his rocket-propelled grenades on the body as the only 'sure-fire' method of penetrating (we see the small arms blasts bounce off, such as the EP-40). Thats why they have them: they provide respectable anti-mecha armament and are decently long-ranged (1km or thereabouts).

To stay alive in combat, the Cyclone Rider would have a significantly high Maneuverability code, adding it to either his Dodge or Powered Armour Operation roll (whichever is more advantageous).

Besides, in all probability, the Shocktrooper in question is a Mook and not a Lieutenant (they would have a blue visor/camera eye) and so basically dies in 1 hit anyway.
14 years 2 months ago #9799

Jaymz wrote:

Hmm...well if the invid was on battloid scale at 3d and hte cyclone is at the next one down at 3d....

IIRC the old SW way the die cap between scales is 3 so a Cyclone weapon that does 3d would do a max of 9 damage against a inviod scout one scale higher which can roll on average 10 to resist on 3d. Sound about right? Or are the scales I am using in this example one level to high?

In the Original Robotech conversion doc, it used die caps for the different sizes. Die caps only give us 5 different levels of scale. I think personally I am leaning more towards the open D6 way scale works, so take this for example:

A cyclone is basically a transformable motorcycle, so it is a +3 on the scale chart.

An Invid Shocktrooper is bigger than a tank, so lets give him a +12.
Also the Shocktroopers eye is relatively small, about the size of a small briefcase, so it gets a -6.

Both mecha get 3D of Body, and lets say both of their weapons do 3D@ their scale.

Cyclone Attacks Shocktrooper. Defender scale minus Attacker scale equals bonus to attackers ability to hit, in this case, a +9

The cyclone rolls attack of 3D=10, +9=19. That's a hit. The Cyclone rolls 3D for damage and gets an 11.
The Shocktrooper uses the same scale modifier, but adds it to his Body roll. In this case the shicktrooper rolls 3D and gets 7, 7+9=16. The shocktrooper takes no damage.

If the cyclone attacked the eye, since the eye is smaller than the cyclone, -6 - 3 = -9. The cyclone is at -9 to hit the eye, but the Shocktrooper will be at -9 to his body to resist damage from that shot.

Shocktrooper attacks. because he is bigger than the motorcycle, Defender Scale minus Attacker Scale (3-12) equals -9. That is the shocktrooper gets to hit the cyclone. However, if the Shocktrooper does manage to hit the cyclone, the cyclone gets a -9 to his Body roll.

Shocktrooper rolls 3D and gets a 17. With 17+ -9 = 8. He misses. But if he got a 6 on the wild die, he would probably hit. Anyways, lets say he did hit the cyclone. The Shocktrooper rolls 3D for damage and comes up with a 7.

The cyclone rolls his 3D body to defend and gets an 11. 11-9=2. 7-2=5 - he looses 5 points of damage and has just become wounded.

If the cyclone had rolled 3D of body to resist and got say a 6, 6-9=-3, so the cyclone would take 10 hits or be Incapacitated. (7 - -3 =10)

I hope this made sense to you. I gives alot more ranges for scale than die caps could possibly do.

We can have scales down to insect size and scales larger than a planet. If you shoot a pistol at the earth, you get a +2000 to hit, but the earth will get a +2000 on it's body roll (of 3D) to resist damage. and your pistol only does 3D at scale 0. :)

I hope this makes sense. You can see how all things being equal but scale, the shocktrooper would be very difficult to damage with a cyclone, but the cyclone would be very difficult to hit. Of course, if these are cannon-fodder aliens, we can give them 2d of body. Also, this will require us to figure out the scale that a weapon is designed for attacking. For instance, missiles can do 3D of damage but since they can take out buildings, they could be given a scale of +15. That would do damage to a shocktrooper, especially if the cyclone was aiming for the eye.

what do you think?

-teedeeus
14 years 2 months ago #9839

ah ok I see. They changed up the scales. Instead f adding or subtracting dice you add or subtratc a fixed number.
14 years 2 months ago #9882

Time to create page: 0.581 seconds