• MEMO1DOMINION's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • Thank you received: 114

Robotech: Battlecry II Interests Vicious Cycle was created by MEMO1DOMINION

Sequel For Robotech: Battlecry Interests Vicious Cycle

Posted February 10, 2010 by David Radd

www.industrygamers.com/news/sequel-for-r...rests-vicious-cycle/

Robotech is one of the more beloved animated shows from the '80s, introducing scores of fans to anime for the first time. Even two decades after the series' original release, there was enough interest to help produce a brand-new movie sequel in 2006. When asked about making a sequel to their own Robotech video games, Vicious Cycle was very enthusiastic.

“I would love to do it tomorrow! It wasn't like my childhood series to watch, but I understand the anime fans and they're hungry for product,”
said Vicious Cycle president and CEO Eric Peterson. “[Robotech] hasn't made it to current gen systems; there hasn't been an entry on PS3, Wii or Xbox 360. They're going to want to have it because they're hardcore fans, and we'd love to give it to them. It's an opportunity that could sell and the first game was a wonderful experience for us. There was a lot of passion for the company and we had a lot of Robotech fanboys, which helped! We had a collector's edition and it was a lot of fun making it. We had some great marketing for it and some positive reviews and eventually sold a half million copies."

When asked what happened with Robotech: Invasion, based around the third story arch of the Robotech series, Peterson was frank in his response. “We were told for Invasion to make a Halo clone. We wanted to make it a Battlecry sequel because we knew the fans wanted lots of missiles, Veritech fighters and cel shading. You take that out, you ruin the license,” explained Peterson. “We probably sold the expected amount of copies to those fans, but there are more Veritech fans out there and they buy into the Robotech legacy, but many of them don't remember the second series based on Southern Cross and probably even fewer remember Genesis Climber Mospeada.“
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
14 years 1 month ago #9758

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Robotech: Battlecry II Interests Vicious Cycle

ONE PROBLEM

HG GOT THEIR LICENSE BACK. AND PROBABLY WILL SELL THE RIGHTS TO WB.
14 years 1 month ago #9759

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by UEG_Productions on topic Re:Robotech: Battlecry II Interests Vicious Cycle

And they should sell it to WB..

Why ? As we know every Live action Movie as acompanied by a video game.. Usualy Bad..but at least there always is a PC version as well...

PC FOR HEAVEN SAKE...
14 years 1 month ago #9760

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:Robotech: Battlecry II Interests Vicious Cycle

“We were told for Invasion to make a Halo clone. We wanted to make it a Battlecry sequel because we knew the fans wanted lots of missiles, Veritech fighters and cel shading. You take that out, you ruin the license,” explained Peterson. “We probably sold the expected amount of copies to those fans, but there are more Veritech fans out there and they buy into the Robotech legacy, but many of them don't remember the second series based on Southern Cross and probably even fewer remember Genesis Climber Mospeada.“

Told by whom? My guess would be Harmony Gold, which puts the lie to Tommy Yune's repeated claim that HG doesn't tell their licensees what to do and/or how to do it.
14 years 1 month ago #9761

• Pizza-the-Hutt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Pizza-the-Hutt on topic Re:Robotech: Battlecry II Interests Vicious Cycle

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

ONE PROBLEM

HG GOT THEIR LICENSE BACK. AND PROBABLY WILL SELL THE RIGHTS TO WB.

See MEMO!?
Look at the damage your beloved HG could do with Robotech if they decide to let WB use game rights for the LAM!

Maybe someone should tell Memo and HG just how pathetic movie based games usually turn out.But since I am the only gamer here at RtX no one will believe just me.

Considering Harmony Gold's poor judgement in recognizing Robotech fans and creating more I am safe to assume HG will keep sitting on their faces in regards to gamer fans who hoped for another game.

Heck with it.
14 years 1 month ago #9764

Replied by Aladdin-Sane on topic Re:Robotech: Battlecry II Interests Vicious Cycle

Battlecry was kinda okay, but nothing great.

Licensed games have a history of being iffy regardless of whether they're based on an animated or live-action property. It's not just movie games that are genereally mediocre, it's TV/comic/novel games, too. Of course, they're not all bad (Aladdin on Mega Drive, Lion King and Jungle Book on SNES, Batman: Arkham Asylum on current systems) but there's no reason a game based on the LAME would be inherently worse than one based on the cartoon.
14 years 1 month ago #9766

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Robotech: Battlecry II Interests Vicious Cycle

RIGHT THERE WITH YA ALADDIN.

SINCE I LIKE ROBOTECH I WOULD NOT MIND ANOTHER GAME.
14 years 1 month ago #9895

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:Robotech: Battlecry II Interests Vicious Cycle

Battlecry was fun except for one teeny little problem...
it wouldn't let you kill minmei! :( lol
I kept trying to drop her during that lame mission where you have to get her to her concert on time.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
14 years 1 month ago #9896

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:Robotech: Battlecry II Interests Vicious Cycle

@PTH

You're not the only gamer, Penguins and I are gamers as well. She's more of an fps I'm more into sports.

On subject:

Of course I would like to see another Battlecry. Perhaps one that dealt with Jack Archer's fate. Although I am biased because I'll take the opportunity anytime i get to "fly" a VF1s.

Battlecry was fine, but the controls were lame. Perhaps something with better controls.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by SIGHUP.
14 years 1 month ago #9898

Replied by UEG_Productions on topic Re:Robotech: Battlecry II Interests Vicious Cycle

Count me in as a Part Gamer as well. Played out lot of stuff out there...

Yes.. the games comming along with movies usualy are bad.. but there are some honorfull exeptions.. Such as some of the Lotr Games, the new X-Man game,... There could be a reson for carefull optimism there

The only advantage i see there is they do make a PC version for each one. And that is the only problem ive had with Battlecry..there is no a PC version.

Recently ive had a chance to try it out on a PS2 emulator.. But it is just not the same.
14 years 1 month ago #9909

Time to create page: 0.497 seconds