Why I prefer Robotech

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Incisivis on topic Re:Why I prefer Robotech

Eh, I stand by my reactions to all Macross material. And I did claw my way through all of Macross 7's original run and most of the additional "extra" episodes, movies, and OVAs, and the hate still burned bright. :P

I never liked the Masters Saga much, either--it was a chore to get through. However, one of Dana's few saving graces was that she wasn't the perfect "legacy character" that most expected her to be. Yes, she was annoying, but I have to give credit. I am tired of fans expecting characters' children to be their exact copies, or close enough to it (*cough*MaiaSterling*cough*).

On the other hand, there was no real reason for her to be Max and Miriya's daughter, and I've come to believe that Robotech might have worked a teense better if there were no genetic relationships among the casts of the three "sagas". At least then you don't have to explain "Dana's" hair colour change.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream."-- Shirley Jackson
"I'm a scary gargoyle on a tower / That you made with Plastic Power"--Gorillaz
13 years 11 months ago #11792

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Nikolay116
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • Real Deal

Replied by Nikolay116 on topic Re:Why I prefer Robotech

Incisivis wrote:

At least then you don't have to explain "Dana's" hair colour change.

I never saw a problem here mainly because studied well biology. She could pretty much be more like her grand parents than parents. Moreover one of other plausible "explanations" is the following: she always was in the shadow of her great parents, but she was stuborn and wanted to be special not just because of them. Thus, she could change her hair color deliberately.
13 years 11 months ago #11793

• LadyGrimes
  • LadyGrimes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:Why I prefer Robotech

Incisivis wrote:

Eh, I stand by my reactions to all Macross material. And I did claw my way through all of Macross 7's original run and most of the additional "extra" episodes, movies, and OVAs, and the hate still burned bright. :P

I never liked the Masters Saga much, either--it was a chore to get through. However, one of Dana's few saving graces was that she wasn't the perfect "legacy character" that most expected her to be. Yes, she was annoying, but I have to give credit. I am tired of fans expecting characters' children to be their exact copies, or close enough to it (*cough*MaiaSterling*cough*).

On the other hand, there was no real reason for her to be Max and Miriya's daughter, and I've come to believe that Robotech might have worked a teense better if there were no genetic relationships among the casts of the three "sagas". At least then you don't have to explain "Dana's" hair colour change.

Well at least Dana was their daughter and not Nova :P
while Dana isn't the best character and she is annoying, she was the best choice for the daughter of max & miriya
otherwise people would complain if had been nova.. "why is their daughter such a bitch?" lol yeah, dana was perfect
and I also agree about the whole children have to be exact copies, that also annoys me

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by LadyGrimes.
13 years 11 months ago #11802

• buffalostyle
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • Addicted to Protoculture

Replied by buffalostyle on topic Re:Why I prefer Robotech

LOL, HP!!! That GIF is CLASSIC!!!
-buffalostyle
www.flickr.com/groups/1739199@N25/ Robotech Appreciation Flickr group
Member of the A.k.L.(Anti-kyle League)
13 years 11 months ago #11811

It's not just Dana's blonde hair: it's that she as a baby (where she was derived from the character "Komilia" in Macross) had teal hair, then it was blonde as a child.

It would be simple enough to explain this as a perm/dye job combo, but they don't. The expanded universe waffles on whether or not it was something like this or that her hair just naturally changed colour (?????)

There are many fans wishing that Nova had been dubbed as their daughter instead, but now Happy has me wondering how many would turn around and call her a "bitch" in this alternate future, and see her as a different kind of blight on the Sterling legacy.

So, I'm about three-quarters of the way there to thinking that that whole angle should have been skipped, and no one in Masters would be a blood relative of somebody from Macross, not Dana, or even Bowie. It creates a few continuity hassles.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream."-- Shirley Jackson
13 years 11 months ago #11820

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

-off topic-
incisivis and I were wondering what Exedore's reaction to the baby throwing scene would have been.
thanks to my temptation to do some doodling here it is!

lulz

13 years 11 months ago #11821

D'awwwww. :cheer:
13 years 11 months ago #11822

Replied by Aladdin-Sane on topic Re:Why I prefer Robotech

I love how chill Max is about the whole thing, just sittin' back with his coffee like they do that all the time.

Actually, maybe they did and one of them missed the catch one too many times. Would explain the way Dana turned out.
13 years 11 months ago #11823

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Aladdin Sane wrote:

I love how chill Max is about the whole thing, just sittin' back with his coffee like they do that all the time.

Actually, maybe they did and one of them missed the catch one too many times. Would explain the way Dana turned out.

LOL

13 years 11 months ago #11824

Replied by mage on topic Re:Why I prefer Robotech

zentradi make terrible parents
target by association

Proud Ecksbawks 360 owner
13 years 11 months ago #11825

Time to create page: 0.510 seconds