Why I prefer Robotech

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:Why I prefer Robotech

Aladdin Sane wrote:

I love how chill Max is about the whole thing, just sittin' back with his coffee like they do that all the time.

Actually, maybe they did and one of them missed the catch one too many times. Would explain the way Dana turned out.

It would, except...that scene was cut from Robotech, correct?
13 years 11 months ago #11826

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• LadyGrimes
  • LadyGrimes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:Why I prefer Robotech

Gubaba wrote:

Aladdin Sane wrote:

I love how chill Max is about the whole thing, just sittin' back with his coffee like they do that all the time.

Actually, maybe they did and one of them missed the catch one too many times. Would explain the way Dana turned out.

It would, except...that scene was cut from Robotech, correct?

cut from the animation but in the novels, some of the characters make references to that scene.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
13 years 11 months ago #11834

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

HappyPenguins wrote:

cut from the animation but in the novels, some of the characters make references to that scene.

Really? That's weird.

Anyway, that's one of my favorite scenes...I was laughing out loud when I first saw it.
13 years 11 months ago #11845

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Incisivis on topic Re:Why I prefer Robotech

Yep. Here's something from book 5 of the novel series, "Doomsday"

Rick, Lisa, and Claudia were a somewhat unsteady trio returning to their quarters after the afternoon drinks they'd shared with the happy couple. Combined with the thrill of deep space (after so many planetbound months) and the effects of hyperspace travel, the drinks had left them with more than an ordinary buzz.

"...and I held little Dana the whole afternoon, and she didn't cry a bit the entire time!" Lisa was saying.

"Yes, but I don't think Miriya should have thrown Dana to you. She has to learn to be more careful!"

Lisa nodded, biting her lower lip. "Well, it's an adjustment for her. After all, her role model was probably the neighboring test tube."

One of the epigraphs in The Zentraedi Rebellion also refers to that incident. It's never shown directly, though.

And yes, it's one of my favourite scenes, too...not only for the comedy, but because it's one of the rare times Miriya/Milia seems to have a well-developed personality, post-marriage: she is proud and stubborn and hasn't quite grasped all the nuances of human culture.

And too, there's something to be said for seeing the main characters gathered together and being friends.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream."-- Shirley Jackson
"I'm a scary gargoyle on a tower / That you made with Plastic Power"--Gorillaz
13 years 11 months ago #11857

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Incisivis wrote:

Yep. Here's something from book 5 of the novel series, "Doomsday"

Rick, Lisa, and Claudia were a somewhat unsteady trio returning to their quarters after the afternoon drinks they'd shared with the happy couple. Combined with the thrill of deep space (after so many planetbound months) and the effects of hyperspace travel, the drinks had left them with more than an ordinary buzz.

"...and I held little Dana the whole afternoon, and she didn't cry a bit the entire time!" Lisa was saying.

"Yes, but I don't think Miriya should have thrown Dana to you. She has to learn to be more careful!"

Lisa nodded, biting her lower lip. "Well, it's an adjustment for her. After all, her role model was probably the neighboring test tube."

One of the epigraphs in The Zentraedi Rebellion also refers to that incident. It's never shown directly, though.

And yes, it's one of my favourite scenes, too...not only for the comedy, but because it's one of the rare times Miriya/Milia seems to have a well-developed personality, post-marriage: she is proud and stubborn and hasn't quite grasped all the nuances of human culture.

And too, there's something to be said for seeing the main characters gathered together and being friends.

Interesting. I always got the impression that "Jack McKinney" never watched the original, uncut shows that made up Robotech. I guess I was wrong.

As for Milia having a personality...to be fair, pretty much no one exscept the three lead characters has much of a role in the post-war arc (although Claudia and Kyle/Kaifun come close). Certainly neither Max nor Milia have much to do in it except wheel their baby around or hop into a fighter every once in a while.

If we're talking about Miriya, I found her glee at helping Lisa prepare for the wedding in the Sentinels to be almost laughable...as Anna Russell said about Brünhilde, "So love has certainly taken the ginger out of her!" Not to say she couldn't turn into a little domestic girly-girl, but it seems unlikely to me.

If we're talking about Milia, her character in Macross 7, despite the fact that she's usually played for laughs, is much more believable. Yes, she's a harridan; yes, she's vain. She's also still a brilliant pilot, and formidable in almost any circumstance. I have a lot of problems with Macross 7, but Milia certainly isn't one of them.
13 years 11 months ago #11862

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Incisivis on topic Re:Why I prefer Robotech

She might not get much screentime after the Rain of Death, but I still acutely felt that Miriya/Milia was lacking in something, that outside of the baby-throwing scene, she seemed like a "perfect" character, who was easier to describe in terms of her deeds than herself.

Sentinels Miriya is a prime specimen of characterus genericus: none of the writers handling her ever seemed to know what to do with her, so she's stuck as a cipher, who gets pulled in almost unfathomable directions, such as giving up the military to become a diplomat for no apparent reason.

Milia in Macross 7 is one I'm more ambivalent about. Her basic personality is believable in terms of its traits, but those traits were often played up so strongly that she came off as a caricature of an "older woman" or just plain comic relief, which is really grating. Showing her successfully "back in the saddle" with no more kidding just isn't enough to mitigate that, and I'm saying that as someone who's not that big a fan of the character in general.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream."-- Shirley Jackson
"I'm a scary gargoyle on a tower / That you made with Plastic Power"--Gorillaz
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by Incisivis.
13 years 11 months ago #11863

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Incisivis wrote:

She might not get much screentime after the Rain of Death, but I still acutely felt that Miriya/Milia was lacking in something, that outside of the baby-throwing scene, she seemed like a "perfect" character, who was easier to describe in terms of her deeds than herself.

Sentinels Miriya is a prime specimen of characterus genericus: none of the writers handling her ever seemed to know what to do with her, so she's stuck as a cipher, who gets pulled in almost unfathomable directions, such as giving up the military to become a diplomat for no apparent reason.

Milia in Macross 7 is one I'm more ambivalent about. Her basic personality is believable in terms of its traits, but those traits were often played up so strongly that she came off as a caricature of an "older woman" or just plain comic relief, which is really grating. Showing her successfully "back in the saddle" with no more kidding just isn't enough to mitigate that, and I'm saying that as someone who's not that big a fan of the character in general.

I agree with you completely...except that Milia in Macross 7 "worked" for me...my biggest problem with her there is that the writers sometimes seemed to forget that she was Zentradi...
13 years 11 months ago #11865

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Incisivis wrote:

One thing about Sentinels Miriya that bugged me was the fact she was portrayed as this kick ass character, and then all of a sudden becomes ill and has to stay on Fantoma was it? For some long period of time. I also didn't like the idea of Aurora having this telepathic ability either, it didn't make sense because she was half human/zentraedi just like Dana and did Dana have any special telepathic abilities? No she didn't. But I will admit, I did like Miriya in Malcontent Uprisings much better, sans all the fan service, and at the end her reason for cutting her hair was a lot better than I had assumed before. I had always thought oh cutting your hair was the fad of that time.

13 years 11 months ago #11866

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

HappyPenguins wrote:

Incisivis wrote:

One thing about Sentinels Miriya that bugged me was the fact she was portrayed as this kick ass character, and then all of a sudden becomes ill and has to stay on Fantoma was it? For some long period of time. I also didn't like the idea of Aurora having this telepathic ability either, it didn't make sense because she was half human/zentraedi just like Dana and did Dana have any special telepathic abilities? No she didn't. But I will admit, I did like Miriya in Malcontent Uprisings much better, sans all the fan service, and at the end her reason for cutting her hair was a lot better than I had assumed before. I had always thought oh cutting your hair was the fad of that time.

My major problem with the Sentinels is that no one acted like themselves...at least not in any interesting ways. Minmay's bed-hopping annoyed me the most, but, as I recall, EVERYONE felt kinda...fake.
13 years 11 months ago #11880

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Gubaba wrote:

HappyPenguins wrote:

Incisivis wrote:

My major problem with the Sentinels is that no one acted like themselves...at least not in any interesting ways. Minmay's bed-hopping annoyed me the most, but, as I recall, EVERYONE felt kinda...fake.

So I guess they were no different than Janice? :P

13 years 11 months ago #11892

Time to create page: 0.562 seconds