Robotech needs a different approach ... a cable series!

• Thank you received: 20

Robotech needs a different approach ... a cable series! was created by Sinn

For years, the fans of Robotech have tried to give HG the benefit of the doubt regarding the direction of the franchise. To be completely honest, the fans have been extremely loyal and understanding. However, time has passed and Robotech has remained on the back burner when it comes to getting any real face left. Even the much rumored LAM is pretty much stuck in development hell.

The Robotech franchise needs more exposure otherwise it will always be an 80's anime novelty.

I think it's time to think small screen, and perhaps try to pitch a Robotech limited cable series ... or perhaps a streaming series on Netflix or Amazon is the way to go. A small run of episodes (10 to 12) to try to gauge interest and hopefully gain some new fans. The Robotech universe is pretty expansive, so I am sure there are plenty of storylines that could be brought up.

What do the rest of you protoculture addicts think?
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes, Alpha Bravo
7 years 5 months ago #23988

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Robotech needs a different approach ... a cable series!

If memory serves me right then I believe it was on netflix at one point but then got removed later on for whatever reason. I don't know what the issue was but I'm sure that alone hurt the series exposure.

I also think it was on Hulu too, but I hate sitting through commercials so I avoided that site like the plague.

My personal attempt at giving the series any exposure is by trying to introduce it to friends who have never seen it. Most of them are the younger generation so it was way before their time, but at least it's a start.

I do think RT should be put back on netflix though as I don't know how well it would do on television in this day and age, especially with the holier than thou attitude regarding anime and dubs.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alpha Bravo
Last edit: 7 years 5 months ago by LadyGrimes.
7 years 5 months ago #23989

• Thank you received: 20

Replied by Sinn on topic Robotech needs a different approach ... a cable series!

I do think RT should be put back on netflix though as I don't know how well it would do on television in this day and age, especially with the holier than thou attitude regarding anime and dubs.

I think RT would work on something like Toonami. I think it would be received well.

However, I am still interested in your opinion regarding making a live action cable series based on RT. I know its a very long shot, but I think a live action series based on the RT universe is the way to get the franchise back into the public eye.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes
7 years 5 months ago #23990

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Robotech needs a different approach ... a cable series!

Sinn wrote:

I think RT would work on something like Toonami. I think it would be received well.

However, I am still interested in your opinion regarding making a live action cable series based on RT. I know its a very long shot, but I think a live action series based on the RT universe is the way to get the franchise back into the public eye.

It used to be on Toonami back in the 90's that's how I discovered it then.

Now I've also considered the idea of a live action television series because I think it would work better than trying to do the whole thing as a series of movies, but I think it would still suffer the same issues as the LAM with all the legality BS and what not. A lot of things would have to be redesigned but that shouldn't be a problem, or so you'd think otherwise the live action movie wouldn't be stuck in development hell right now.

But a TV series would be a much better idea. I'm surprised none of the higher ups have even considered this.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sinn
7 years 5 months ago #23991

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic Robotech needs a different approach ... a cable series!

Gah avoid live-action if possible. Maybe a series reboot with new animation like they've done with Voltron and Thundercats, only not as sucky.

And don't forget the JLC (Japanese Legal Circus) will probably prevent anything at all.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes, Sinn
7 years 5 months ago #24000

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Robotech needs a different approach ... a cable series!

FOR THE MOVIE DIRECTOR JAMES WAN HAS TO DO AQUAMAN FIRST. THOUGHT I THINK HE IS WAITING ON WB TO DECIDE ON THAT AND THEN ONLY AFTER HOW JL IS ACCEPTED. THEN ITS ON TO ROBOTECH.

NETFLIX HAD IT FOR A LIMITED TIME. THATS THE WAY IT WORKS OUT. PAY HG FOR DIGITAL DISTRIBUTION. GLAD THEY ADDED IT AGAIN. I SEE MOVIES COME AND GO ON NETFLIX. NOTHING IS FOREVER. THERE.

TOONAMI HAD IT BUT WAS A BAD TIME SLOT. IT WAS REALLY BAD.

WOULD NOT MIND A NEW SERIES LIKE VOLTRON DID. BUT I DONT REALLY LIKE THE LOOSE ANIMATION. THUNDERCATS WOULD BE THE WAY TO GO BUT IT DID COST A LOT. WHY THEY NEVER MADE IT AGAIN. WAS TO EXPENSIVE FOR WB.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
7 years 4 months ago #24108

• Thank you received: 18

Replied by City of Fright on topic Robotech needs a different approach ... a cable series!

I think the big mistake here of any movie or TV production group is to say "we're going to make a live action version of ~ {insert cartoon, comic or game here}" I am not even going to mention the number of failures there are. Making a statement like that can set the bar too high. I know we've all seen plenty of live action films that don't meet or surpass the standards set by the original material or our expectations. My opinion there are at least a few hero characters who I think have no place in a live action and should remain limited to cartoons and/or comics, that's just my opinion. Here's the problem I see

~ take 30 year old cartoon, no remakes, no reboots, no complete continuations animated since.
This might be looked at as good or bad but I am leaning toward bad due to the lack of successful production of new long running
material. Without new material one is forced to reference older material or similar, more recent material from outside sources.

~ make a 90 minute live action movie on said cartoon 30 to 40 years after original cartoon run cutting and pasting story, minimizing
characters and action to fit film length.
So you have have about 4 or 5 dozen characters all and all from the original series, more than half are going to get cut, the alien
bad guys will probably get turned into insect/reptilian creatures with no lines and very few up close scenes, most of the dialog will
be divided up between half a dozen characters that don't look the part and most of the action will take up 15 to 20 minutes total if
we're lucky. Trying not to look like every other sci-fi movie that has done this will be difficult.

~ make game based on movie, no online available, no open world, no customization.
I don't know if game companies still make movie games but I hope they don't. Except for the lego games I've never cared for movie
games. Even if they did make a decent game which would you prefer, movie accurate character models or high quality animation
models? Really, making a game based on a movie based on an animation, who do you cater too, movie goers or animation fans?
Also replay value, multiplayer and multiple game play options need to be done right.

~ make toys with various gimmicks
Lights and sound, motorized features, poor paint and molding, limited articulation, weak materials, bad design. I would rather they
made one good lineup of figures with minimal gimmicks than to see three or more different lineups of various (bad) quality.

In the end the future of the robotech franchise is neither guaranteed nor is it promised, it is only talked about. The different approach needed is for someone to take over and start running full production on relevant material even if that means starting over from scratch, preferably in the hands of another company with far more success. Until then the franchise is dead in the hands of its owners.

Closing:
I won't believe any talk about a movie or any video being produced until I see a legitimate trailer from the people that are claimed to be actually producing them, not the people profiting off of broken deals.
7 years 4 months ago #24312

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic Robotech needs a different approach ... a cable series!

Right they gotta take 36 episodes and 30 years of context and mash it into a 90 minute summary that will make sense to someone who is unfamiliar with the source material. It's just not feasible.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
The following user(s) said Thank You: LadyGrimes
7 years 4 months ago #24314

Time to create page: 0.432 seconds