• LadyGrimes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:Criticism can be Destructive

Viper wrote:

Ok, HP... a news update for you..

As I've stated previously, my mother is a painter. Not only this, but she's also a very serious student of the masters, Leonardo DaVinci being her absolute favorite, but also others ranging from George Bellows and Cecelia Beaux to Elizabeth Viguee-LeBrun, to Rembrandt, says to tell you the following:

"You are a damn fine artist, so cut the crap!"

She also would be more than happy to share info on technique, etc, any time you like.

My mother has an idea that she might like to send to you. Your larger portrait of the lady is somewhat suggestive of the "Art Nouveau" style. My momma wonders if you have studied the works of Aubrey Beardsley and Alphonse Mucha.

If not, she suggests that you find info on these two masters of the 'Neuveau' style. She thinks they might even inspire you.

Art Nouveau and Art Deco are two styles that I greatly admire., I do gain inspiration from looking at the works of other artists. Norman Rockwell is one of my favorite artists and so is Ayami Kojima.
Tell her she is welcome to share anything she wants with me, I'll gladly listen.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
15 years 3 weeks ago #3396

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Criticism can be Destructive

MY 2 CENTS ON THE SUBJECT..

OR WHATEVER ITS WORTH.

ROBOTECH... NO ONE IN MY FAMILY UNDERSTANDS IT WHEN GROWING UP. OR KNEW ABOUT MY LOVE FOR IT. FRIENDS DONT KNOW MUCH OF THAT PART EITHER.

TILL THIS DAY TO THEM ITS A WASTE OF TIME.. CONVENTIONS AND ALL...

BUT I DID IT FOR ME AND SINCE I CANT DRAW OR WRITE WORTH A THING I KNOW JUS TO BE.. THERE AND HERE..

THEN I GOT INVOLVED TO MUC I GUESS.. BUT FOR WHAT I BELIEVED IN. IMAGINE IF I WOULD HAVE STOPPED? WHEN THEY TOLD ME IT WAS A WASTE OF TIME.. OR A NERD THING.. MILITARY FRIENDS AND SCHOOL FRIENDS DID NOT KNOW ABOUT IT OR EVEN GIRLFRIENDS..

YEAH, TELL THEM I AM INTO A DRAMA CARTOON..

BUT IN TIME I MEET MANY PEOPLE AND STILL CAND DO A THING.. BUT MEET NEW FRIENDS THAT SHARE THAT SAME FEELING.

STICK WITH WHAT YOU LIKE. JUST KNOW AND TRUST YOURSELF. I READ MUCH HERE BUT DONT POST AS MUCH. GUESS I GET INVOLVED WITH TO MANNY THINGS OUT THERE.. ROBOTECH. IF I KNEW HOW TO DRAW OR WRITE I COULD PUT DOWN ALL MY ROBOTECH DREAMS DOWN..

BUT THAT DOES NOT STOP ME FROM WORKING ON THEM.

BUT NEVER PUT YOURSELF DOWN. NEVER. BECOUSE I THINK YOU HAVE DONE MROE THINGS HTROUGH YOUR WRITTINGS AND DRAWINGS THAT I HAVE EVER DONE. AND THAT IS A LOT MORE THAN WHAT I HAVE DONE.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
15 years 3 weeks ago #3401

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by Last_Valk_Standing on topic Re:Criticism can be Destructive

HappyPenguins wrote:

That is, especially when it's coming from the worst critic; yourself.

We all have something we enjoy doing, something that can make the real world seem absent at the time, because we're so drawn to whatever it is we like to do. But, there's always a voice in the back of your head, a voice that will tell you, you're not as good as you thought.

It doesn't say you could do better, it says you'll never get better, that you'll always be horrible at it.
This is when self criticism becomes destructive, and you start to see things in a new light. This is when everything stops being fun, instead it becomes something you dread.

Yes I am going through this, and yes it's causing me to believe I'm not good at what I do. For the past few months I've been trying to fight these feelings, but sadly I'm losing that battle. I don't want to lose my motivation, I don't want to end up hating what I do, but as of now I am not thinking straight and I'm letting my emotions get the best of me.

I love art, I really do I just wish I knew why I can't satisfy myself anymore.
I have dreams just like anyone else, but right now I don't think they will ever come true. They're just pipe dreams, and they're hanging by a thread because I'm pondering the thought of completely giving up on them
and it's all because of this self destructive criticism.

Those of you who are talented, don't let it happen to you
cause I'm sure you'll make it big one day
but as for me, I don't see the point in even trying anymore
why keep doing it, if I can't even please myself?
I'm better off finding another hobby that my self loathing can ruin too.

and also I'm tired of being ignored by a certain someone
I thought they were my friend, but I guess I was deluded into believing that as well.
Sorry for anything I did, even though I really don't know what I did.

And with that, I take my leave
<3 good day

I may be late comming in on this but i haven't really been as active here in the forums as i used to be cause of my school and such.

I can relate to how you feel on this HP.I feel the same exact way about my own art, It may seem stupid but i keep thinking to myself I'm 25 (26 in a few months) there is no way i'm gonna get better, or make anything out of it. Sometimes it is really easy to let that voice over come your simple pleasure to do something even if it is just for your enjoyment. It can be really tough to see your own progress sometimes. That's why you display your work, get an outside opinion. Perhaps your too close to your own work to really have and objective view on it.

For my own part i have never really tried to draw much before now because i kept looking at what my mother does. She is an amazeing artist. I can't do what she does so i didn't bother trying. I know it's wrong but sometimes you just are dead set in your mind about these things. I highly doubt my skills will ever take me very far or go anywhere although i do like to daydream about it.

But when I came here to this site and got to see some of ur work and Isamu's I was like WOW. You guys are really good! And ur Atlantech is a great story. Honestly you guys here are my new measureing stick for what I do with my own art. I've been to your tutorial on shading and such from ur site and loved it. Made me realize that I had to do this because i like it. I don't look at my work and decided for myself if i'm doing better i let others do that, I just draw.B) (atleast i do now!) Keep up what ur doing and don't be too hard on ur self!

PS: since we seem to be delivering advice from artistic mothers lol here is a quote from My mother that i've found to be true about ALL artists no matter what medium you work in. "A true artist is NEVER completly happy with Her/His work"

Always seems to be one thing that could be improved or changed. I've seen her take a year on a painting. scrapped 4 times in that year and restarted. they looked amazeing to me... go figure LOL

Guess that makes you a true artist and writer :D

MEMO- ur 2 cents is worth a fortune here ;)

PSS: LOL btw just got done doing MED/SURGE Endocrine sys and all the Thyroid issues. Not fun at all and my heart goes out to you. The meds almost seem as bad as the disorder but i'd deffinitly be careful about simply not takeing them.
That is my proffesional opinion.
Chris Franqui SPN
;)
Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL
Huge fan of Attention On Deck website.

Official Reporter for MNN (Macross News Network LOL)
Last edit: 15 years 3 weeks ago by Last_Valk_Standing. Reason: I'm kinda loopy today LOL sorry!
15 years 3 weeks ago #3405

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Thank you, if there's one thing that makes it worth while, it's knowing that you have been an inspiration to others.
Now that tells me I'm not as bad as I thought. :)

15 years 3 weeks ago #3422

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by HashiNoUsagi on topic Re:Criticism can be Destructive

Wow, Isamu I really did anger you with the 'limit' topic O_O

We talked about this, but just to clarify what I said...I still stand by my comment that everyone has a limit. Most people never reach that limit though. They reach a bump in the road and they say that's all they can do and they give up. If you can't do something, there's usually other ways around it. Someone who gives up, hasn't reached their limit. Someone who reaches their limit, realizes what the problem is and finds a way to work with it. Some people can't perfect certain skills.

I have to agree that usually we are our worst critics. Then again we all have the image in our head what we want to do and when that image isn't down on paper we will not be happy.

Inspiration...watching everyone on these forums talk about art and stories kinda makes me jealous. It makes me want to continue working on one of my millions of projects. -_-; I need to really work on them anyways, whenever I talk to my best friend she always reminds me that I need to send her any of my projects.
Hasn't done anything stupid enough to get banned from any forum.....yet.
15 years 3 weeks ago #3443

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

HashiNoUsagi wrote:

Inspiration...watching everyone on these forums talk about art and stories kinda makes me jealous. It makes me want to continue working on one of my millions of projects. -_-; I need to really work on them anyways, whenever I talk to my best friend she always reminds me that I need to send her any of my projects.

Then you should work on it :)

15 years 3 weeks ago #3444

• Viper
  • Sentinal
  • Sentinal
  • Destroid Tomahawk Aficianado

Replied by Viper on topic Re:Criticism can be Destructive

HashiNoUsagi wrote:
Inspiration...watching everyone on these forums talk about art and stories kinda makes me jealous. It makes me want to continue working on one of my millions of projects. -_-; I need to really work on them anyways, whenever I talk to my best friend she always reminds me that I need to send her any of my projects.[/quote]

Hehehe Hey, HP!!! We're getting to everyone! Look at what we've started!!
Wrongfully Banned by MEMO1DOMINION on Robotech.com!

www.destroidslastdance.com
15 years 3 weeks ago #3446

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

I know haha :woohoo:

15 years 3 weeks ago #3447

Replied by HashiNoUsagi on topic Re:Criticism can be Destructive

It started as a thread that HP was going to quit and now it's motivating everyone to work.
Hasn't done anything stupid enough to get banned from any forum.....yet.
15 years 3 weeks ago #3448

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

I know huh, imagine that? maybe everything does happen for a reason B)

15 years 3 weeks ago #3449

Time to create page: 0.563 seconds