Length of the "Global Civil War"?

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: Length of the "Global Civil War"?

Gubaba wrote;

The Graphic Novel indicates pretty clearly that all hostilities (meaning, all violence) stopped with the crash of the SDF-1.

This would still indicate a ceasefire(military), but not an armistice(political) that would end the war.

Still I'll get back to you on that.

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
12 years 1 month ago #18447

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Gubaba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: Length of the "Global Civil War"?

MaverickLSC wrote:

Gubaba wrote;

The Graphic Novel indicates pretty clearly that all hostilities (meaning, all violence) stopped with the crash of the SDF-1.

This would still indicate a ceasefire(military), but not an armistice(political) that would end the war.

Still I'll get back to you on that.

Mav...

I'll be waiting, maggot! :laugh:
12 years 1 month ago #18449

• Mark-Warlock
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Mark-Warlock on topic Re: Length of the "Global Civil War"?

So let me ask Gubaba... What type of answer are you looking for?

Are you looking for a straight Canon answer.. or are you looking for just a general answer?

I ask that because there is a difference. You can get a general answer based on all forms of information from various Robotech publications and animation.. But if you are looking for a straight Canon answer... well then that would have to come from what is current continuity along with the animation.

So which is it? This will help to get to the best answer.

Personally I believe that the actual Global War had ended with the arrival of the SDF-1... but that during the formation of the UEG there was conflict between Pro and Anti UEG forces. So even though the Global War had ended, there was still some fighting. I believe that this is supported by current continuity canon.
A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am I or are the others crazy? - Albert Einstein

Find Mark Warlock now on Facebook.
12 years 1 month ago #18451

Replied by lil-mungus on topic Re: Length of the "Global Civil War"?

Like MW just said that is what I believed also.

But I too am wondering what type of anwser you are looking for Gub? Do you have an rigid answer already in your head or are you trying to take in all other information to make a decision?
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by lil-mungus.
12 years 1 month ago #18452

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Length of the "Global Civil War"?

lil mungus wrote:

Like MW just said that is what I believed also.

But I too am wondering what type of anwser you are looking for Gub? Do you have an rigid answer already in your head or are you trying to take in all other information to make a decision?

YEAH, SAME QUESTION HERE.

T.V. SERIES IS CANON.

ARE YOU LOOKING TO TALK ABOUT SECONDARY CANON NOW?

BTW, WHO WAS THE FIRST TO USE THE TERM AUL (ANTI UNIFICATION LEAGUE) IN ROBOTECH MEDIA AND/OR PUBLICATIONS?
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
12 years 1 month ago #18455

• Mark-Warlock
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer

The Tv series first mentioned the "Anti-unification league" in the episode "homecoming". After that other sources touch on it more, but there hasn't been a story dedicated to fleshing out that era of Robotech... Yet.
A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am I or are the others crazy? - Albert Einstein

12 years 1 month ago #18456

• Gubaba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: Length of the "Global Civil War"?

Mark Warlock wrote:

So let me ask Gubaba... What type of answer are you looking for?

Are you looking for a straight Canon answer.. or are you looking for just a general answer?

I ask that because there is a difference. You can get a general answer based on all forms of information from various Robotech publications and animation.. But if you are looking for a straight Canon answer... well then that would have to come from what is current continuity along with the animation.

So which is it? This will help to get to the best answer.

Personally I believe that the actual Global War had ended with the arrival of the SDF-1... but that during the formation of the UEG there was conflict between Pro and Anti UEG forces. So even though the Global War had ended, there was still some fighting. I believe that this is supported by current continuity canon.

Well...the be honest, I'm not sure what type of answer I'm looking for...

Something that would explain why the war Roy (who is a main character) mentions is different from the war the Narrator talks about. When he says, "I was busy fighting a war," it seems we are led to believe that that was the global war mentioned several minutes earlier...but I guess (grudgingly) that's not the case. Which seems weird. The Narrator mentions a war that none of the main characters fought in, yet fails to mention the war that some of them did? I don't get it.

I also don't understand why the characters' ages were advanced from their Macross counterparts, if not to account for this.

The current canon comics are definitely written to the idea that there was some kind of war between 1999 and 2009, but the show gives only hints that something MIGHT have happened in those years ("Anti-Unification League" is vague, no mention of a timeframe in Episode 15, blah blah blah), and the Graphic Novel (plotted, again, I must insist, by Carl Macek, making it part of "Carl's Vision" for the series) indicates that peace was achieved immediately after the SDF-1's crash, and that Claudia's flashback episode took place primarily BEFORE the crash.

(And yes, I know that technically the Graphic Novel is no longer "primary canon," but if someone can explain how or why Tommy Yune knows better than Carl Macek about what happened when, I'd be glad to hear it.)
12 years 1 month ago #18458

• Mark-Warlock
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer

Gubaba wrote:

Something that would explain why the war Roy (who is a main character) mentions is different from the war the Narrator talks about. When he says, "I was busy fighting a war," it seems we are led to believe that that was the global war mentioned several minutes earlier...but I guess (grudgingly) that's not the case. Which seems weird. The Narrator mentions a war that none of the main characters fought in, yet fails to mention the war that some of them did? I don't get it.

I'll have to go back and check something in that episode... Rick mentions to Roy that he had won that competition 8 years in a row.. but then, like you said, he says "What were you doing." That's when Roy says he had been fighting a war. But then he says that after the war "the whole Robotech thing was so good he couldn't give it up.. it just gets in your blood".. I'm paraphrasing of course, his actual words are escaping me at the moment. I believe that was after Rick mentions Roy's promise to return to the Circus after the war. I'll also have to go back and check with the Wildstorm Comics because If I remember right, after the "Global war" Roy returns briefly home before he is asked to enter the testing program for the VFs. While this does seem to muddy the back story a little... we might be able to say that Rick was just being a little pissy toward Roy in his statements.

Though like I said.. I will go back and recheck those sources to be sure.

I also don't understand why the characters' ages were advanced from their Macross counterparts, if not to account for this.

To be honest I can't remember what Hikaru's age was at the start of Macross. So if you could please refresh my memory on that and I might be able to offer something to help.

The current canon comics are definitely written to the idea that there was some kind of war between 1999 and 2009, but the show gives only hints that something MIGHT have happened in those years ("Anti-Unification League" is vague, no mention of a timeframe in Episode 15, blah blah blah), and the Graphic Novel (plotted, again, I must insist, by Carl Macek, making it part of "Carl's Vision" for the series) indicates that peace was achieved immediately after the SDF-1's crash, and that Claudia's flashback episode took place primarily BEFORE the crash.

(And yes, I know that technically the Graphic Novel is no longer "primary canon," but if someone can explain how or why Tommy Yune knows better than Carl Macek about what happened when, I'd be glad to hear it.)

While I do believe "Genesis" had been part of the greater story arch that Macek had outlined, Genesis was not written by Macek but by Mike Baron and therefore may have some alterations to the story, it is possible that the "Anti-unifcation conflict" or whatever it was, may have simply been forgotten by the writer.

I wouldn't say Tommy necessarily knows better or believes he knows better then Carl about what happened. I just believe that we are seeing changes much like what happens in a franchise when there is a new "Captain" on the bridge so to speak. Even Star Trek has gone through changes since Roddenberry passed away.

You bring up some good points Gubaba.. I like a challenge. I'll be looking over some materials this evening and into tomorrow to see if I can offer any additional information for you.

12 years 1 month ago #18465

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Length of the "Global Civil War"?

Gubaba wrote:

WELL, ALL DEPENDS HOW YOU TAKE IT AND THAT COULD BE YOUR PROBLEM.

1.A CEASE FIRE IS NOT AN END TO A WAR. THE NARRATOR NEVER MENTIONED AN END TO A WAR. OR PEACE FOR THAT MATTER.

2.THEN YOU HAVE THE NARRATOR SAYING "at that time". AGAIN, HE NEVER MENTION THE REST OF THE TIME.

3.THE NARRATOR IS NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO IS TELLING THE STORY.

ROBOTECH STORY IS ITS OWN. WHY YOU SEE SOME DIFFERENCE IN IT FROM MACROSS.

AGAIN. TV SERIES IS THE MAIN CANON SOURCE. IT DOES NOT SAY PEACE. THE TV SERIES CAME BEFORE THE BOOK. AND LIKE MARK SAID, WAS WRITTEN BY SOMEONE ELSE. GOOD FILLER THOUGHT.

DONT KNOW. THE WILDSTORM COMIC ZERO NEVER CHANGES MUCH. THEY DON'T EVEN GET INTO THE GRAPHIC NOVEL STORY.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
12 years 1 month ago #18466

Replied by mojomike on topic Re: Length of the "Global Civil War"?

Gubaba wrote:

Mark Warlock wrote:

It seems to me that Yune could have told the same story but used the events of Genesis as the starting point. Why have all the inconstancies? I mean Robotechs continuity is hard enough to follow as it is.

12 years 1 month ago #18469

Time to create page: 0.405 seconds