HG at CA State Fair but not Comic Con?

• Szpectre
  • Szpectre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • Thank you received: 5

HG at CA State Fair but not Comic Con? was created by Szpectre

Ok, I am very confused as to why Harmony Gold would set up a booth, complete with giant SDF-1 and Alpha, at the CA State Fair when the Comic Con would have been a much, much, much better venue.
- Mike
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by Szpectre.
13 years 8 months ago #13067

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re: HG at CA State Fair but not Comic Con?

I was also wondering this. MEMO, any insight?

I assume (just an assumption, not gospel) that its because it would be way too expensive at Comic Con. There are plenty of other more successful franchises with bigger budgets that can set stuff up there. But I hope I'm wrong. A state fair in Sacramento, I'm sure there is room. Its basically just a big ass carnival.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
13 years 8 months ago #13074

• Towgrin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Towgrin on topic Re:HG at CA State Fair but not Comic Con?

SDCC cost money, or I should say, more money than this would. So, I'm assuming they didn't want to spend money out in San Diego, but can afford a little for the State Fair.
13 years 8 months ago #13075

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:HG at CA State Fair but not Comic Con?

DAVID IS RIGHT AND ON THE MARK. HE KNEW MORE ABOUT IT SINCE I SPOKE SOME TO HIM.

WE WERE JUST TALKING ABOUT HOW MUCH SOME OF THESE BOOTHS SPEND FOR HUGE PRESENTATIONS. HECK, I THINK THE MOST EXPENSIVE I HEARD WAS G4 BOOTH SINCE THEY WERE RUNNING A FULL STUDIO THERE. UP IN THE 40K!!!!

SOME RUN 30K BUT YOU HAVE TO REMEMBER, HG DOES NOT HAVE NEW STUFF TO PROMOTE. AND THEY HAVE OTHER VENUES TO PROMOTE AS WELL SO THEIR RESOURCES ARE SCATTER ALL OVER THE U.S. WITH CONS THAT CATER MORE ROBOTECH THAN COMIC CON. WHICH I AM TRYING TO CHANGE FOR FUTURE COMIC CON FAN STUFF.

STATE FAIR WAS IN THE WORKS SINCE 2008 AND STARTED IN SAN JOSE SUPERCON. WITH ANDREW AND THE CON ORGANIZERS. THEY ARE ROBOTECH FANS. SUPERCON WAS SKIPPED THIS YEAR SO THE PLANS WENT TO THE STATE FAIR AND WHAT THEY WERE OFFERING. ONCE IT WAS GOING AS OF 2009... AND LOOKED LIKE IT WOULD HAPPEN.. THEN THE NEXT MOVE CAME AT THE A.O.D. ANIME CON IN FRISCO WHERE OTHER PEOPLE WILL GET INVOLVED. SOME FANS KNEW ABOUT THIS. WHY I SAY.. MANY THINGS HAPPEN AT CONS WHEN FANS GET INVOLVED AND PLANS ARE MADE. MANY THINGS HAPPEN.

WHEN THE PIECES WERE IN PLACE I GOT CARL INVOLVED RIGHT AWAY.

NOW CALIFORNIA STATE FAIR CARL MECEK, ANDREW FROM TOYFUSION AND HG, AND I WERE INVOLVED FROM THE BEGINNING OF FEBUARY. AND IT ALSO. I STARTED THIS WITH ANDREW WHEN I WAS LOOKING FOR A VENUE FOR THE BEST 25TH ANNIVERSARY CELEBRATION. HECK, I HAD PLANS WITH COMIC CON BUT NOTHING CAME TO FRUTATION...YET. (WORKING ON 30TH NOW)

CARL FROM THE START NEW HOW TO WORK HIS MAGIC AND ANDREW WITH THE STATE FAIR. ME? I AM JUST A FAN. :P BUT FOR THOSE THAT KNOW ME... AND SEEN ME WORK THINGS OUT I TRY MY BEST TO MAKE THINGS WORK.

SAD THING IS IT ALMOST DID NOT HAPPEN WHEN CARL PASSED AWAY. THE WORK WAS HALF DONE. TOMMY AND KEVIN GOT MORE INVOLVED. WE STILL HAD THE LICENSES THAT CARL WORKED OUT. EVEN MAVERICK WAS THERE FROM CANADA HELPING WITH INPUT. AND DON YEE WAS SUPPLYING INFO AS WELL. WE ALL CAME TOGETHER AND THE STATE FAIR OFFERED MANY THINGS UPFRONT. WE JUST HAD TO FILL IN THE REST.

SOMETIMES IT TAKES THE RIGHT PEOPLE AND THE RIGHT TIMING. AND THE PLUS OF THIS IS YOU GET TO SEE IT IN SAN DIEGO IN 3 YEARS WHEN IT GETS TO THE SAN DIEGO FAIR AS WELL.

SO IN SHORT, THE FAIR WAS LOOKING FOR SOMETHING TO PROMOTE AND WE JUST HAD THE RIGHT IDEAS.

ROBOTECH BABY!!!!!!!

BUT ALL IN ALL... KNOWING CARL FROM ONE CON.. GETTING HIM TO TALK TO OTHER ORGANIZERS IN FRISCO.. AND WORKING WITH HIM.. IS MATTER OF THE STARS ALIGNING RIGHT. AND IN THE END.. LIKE MANY CONS NOW THAT HG IS DOING... WE TURNED IT INTO A CELEBRATION OF CARL MACEK. LITTLE OR BIG.. I AM GLAD TO HAVE WORKED WITH HIM.

THANKS TO THE FANS WHO SUPPORT THE BOOTH AND SAID HI TO CARL.. AND OTHER CONS.. CARL JUMPED ON IT RIGHT AWAY. SO IN ALL.. THANKS TO YOU GUYS, THE FANS THAT MADE THIS HAPPEN.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
13 years 8 months ago #13088

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Troubleman245 on topic Re:HG at CA State Fair but not Comic Con?

Didn't Tommy Yune say that the exhibit will leave Cali and go state to state? Any plans to come the Maryland or D.C. area?

Will there be any video or photo coverage of the fair? I'm seeing a few pictures online but.....
13 years 8 months ago #13090

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:HG at CA State Fair but not Comic Con?

I'm sure MEMO will cover the event. Both via images and video. Just stick around the site and we'll get you covered.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
13 years 8 months ago #13095

TO ADD WHY THE STATE FAIR...

THAT PLACE IS BIGGER THAN COMIC CON BY 4 TIMES THE SIZE. AND IT OFFERS ABOUT MORE ENTERTAINMENT VALUE THAN KNOWING WHAT IS COMING OUT IN MOVIES TO WHAT THE STATE FAIR OFFERS IN RIDES, FARM ANIMALS AND KIDS RODEOS TO KIDS BULL RIDDING COMPETITION. HERE IS WHY IT'S BETTER AT THE STATE FAIR THAN COMIC CON...

California State Fair

Event Description:
The California State Fair, Northern California’s premier
summertime attraction, typically draws over 900,000 attendees each year. The Fair has a wide range of attractions and activities for everyone including traditional competitive exhibits, agriculture, home art and technological competitions, thrill rides, big name entertainment and specialty foods.

Expected 2009 Attendance: 900,000+

Total Event Date Days: 19

Dates: July 14th - August 1st, 2010

Event Hours: 12 Noon - 10 PM Monday - Thursday
10 AM - 10 PM Friday - Sunday

Gate Fee: $12.00 General Admission
$10.00 Seniors
$ 8.00 Children 12 and under

VIDEO I MADE
13 years 8 months ago #13107

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:HG at CA State Fair but not Comic Con?

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

TO ADD WHY THE STATE FAIR...

THAT PLACE IS BIGGER THAN COMIC CON BY 4 TIMES THE SIZE. AND IT OFFERS ABOUT MORE ENTERTAINMENT VALUE THAN KNOWING WHAT IS COMING OUT IN MOVIES TO WHAT THE STATE FAIR OFFERS IN RIDES, FARM ANIMALS AND KIDS RODEOS TO KIDS BULL RIDDING COMPETITION. HERE IS WHY IT'S BETTER AT THE STATE FAIR THAN COMIC CON...

Its quite alright man. In this case bigger is NOT better. Comic Con is without a doubt the BIGGEST convention of pop-culture in the world. It would make more sense that they would do it there since it would reach the entire anime audience and so on.

But of course, RT is not in pop-culture. Its merely a nostalgic-niche product at best. Looking at it realistically. Maybe someday, but right now its in the ICU.

Sure 900K people sounds like a good amount, but remember that the State Fair is spread out over 19 days. Comic Con was about 130K+ a day! And it specializes in POP-CULTURE!

130K for four days = 520K people, in JUST FOUR DAYS! That's not including the vendors and what not. Even the RT Toynami display was smaller this year, just one display window.

Last Year Comic Con 2009

http://www.robotechx.com/index.php?option=com_joomgallery&func=detail&id=1255&Itemid=169#joomimg

This year Comic Con 2010

http://www.robotechx.com/index.php?option=com_joomgallery&func=detail&id=1686&Itemid=169#joomimg

Well, you could say the display window was the same, since last year the other window was a Macross display, ha!

In any case, any exposure is good for Robotech. Out of all those people, I'm sure there were tons interested. If it makes financial sense to do it there, then do it there.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
Last edit: 13 years 8 months ago by SIGHUP. Reason: Images not working!
13 years 8 months ago #13111

SIGH

In any case, any exposure is good for Robotech. Out of all those people, I'm sure there were tons interested. If it makes financial sense to do it there, then do it there.

FORGETTING ONE THING.. SURE THE FAIR IS OVER.. BUT THE ONE DISPLAY FOR THAT FAIR IS MOVING TO ANOTHER FAIR. NEXT STOP IS WASHINGTON STATE AND AFTER THAT CROSSES TO CANADA.

AND THEN BACK TO AMERICA FOR MORE STATES.

IT SURE GETS ITS VALUE BACK MORE TIMES THAN IT WOULD BE AT COMIC CON. STATE FAIRS ARE PRETTY MUCH BIGGER THAN THE COUNTY FAIRS. IT REPRESENTS THE WHOLE STATE.

AND NOT FORGETTING ABOUT COMIC CON. WE DID NOT BUILD THE STAR WARS FANDOM THERE IN ONE CON. AND STAR WARS IS A HUGE POP CULTURE DO TO THE FANDOM.

SO DAVID AND I BEEN WORKING THAT ROUTE AND WITH THE CON ORGANIZERS.
13 years 8 months ago #13113

Time to create page: 0.350 seconds