COMIC CON in San Diego, CA : July 24-27, 2008

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:COMIC CON in San Diego, CA : July 24-27, 2008

first, a little how all this began

comic con 2007,
i and a few fans at dicks last resort (i guess our last resort as well) about not a centralized movement to represent robotech at comic con through a booth got us thinking...

"what can we do to have a robotech booth of our own",,
so the search and ideas were swapped. i remember sasibonian there and tommy and few members...

we had nothing.

so while walking at the con i just went up to the star wars society fan club and started my quiestions there.. and they helped me out with all the info i needed.

now i walked to the con exibition and registration to start my quest in having a robotech fanbooth.

filled out requiered paperwork, proper identification, put down mu buisnees "fanexpo" (its good to have a corporation name) and needed something of a name to represent us...

we could not use robotech. it is owned and licensed and copyrighted by hg.

so i started calling fans for the best possible answer. and also to check the domain names to see if it was used..

lot of good robotech names were taken. and i was searching online to finf a good name as well.. rdf, rdf defence force.. but i wanted robotech.. and then, someone came up with a name...

a fan from puerto rico said... "robotech x", after i said robotech extra or robotech extreem...

(i wanted robotech name to represent the fandom and the extra we will be doing for the fandom) but after all the names were to long for a banner name... i said ok... robotechx it is.

and robotech x was born on sunday last day of comic con 2007. bought the domain name right there and then and submitted the paper work.

and yes, we do need a website!!! and name plus fectisious buisness name.

i was told it would take years to get a booth... but to my surprise, we have robotech fans working the con (found out this year at the con)..

and thats how it began.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
15 years 8 months ago #1059

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:COMIC CON in San Diego, CA : July 24-27, 2008

fast forward to this year...

i got a booklet in the mail to fill out paperwork and to my surprise, submission date had already passed. you guys remember my comments and was about to give up till david told me to send it in regardles and fed ex it..

so i did..

thursday, week before con.. my car breaks down. i have to fix my van to have reliable transportation and put my car in the shop. plus working two jobs. i spent money to get my car fixed.
and was busy all through the weekend. there goes my spending money for the con. no problem..

friday, i get a call info that jesus barrero, a good friend of mine and voice actor of spanish dubbing and own his own dubbing studio and a partner of his decide to go to the con as well.

and to my surprise...well, not really. all hotel rooms are taken !!!

and to see if i can get them passes...
what? convention is sold out!!!!!!

ok...relax..wil deal when i get to comic con..
15 years 8 months ago #1060

sunday... last weekend before con week..

checked my email... nothing. no con info.
nothing came in the mail.. oh well..

lets chech comic con site and see what updates they have.. hmm, lets see who is exibiting. would like to hit them up for some free stuff.. wow..a fandom booth exibiting link.. lets check it out...

wholy moly!!!! robotech x is on the lists!!!!
and you guys know the rest..

so i worked monday and tuesday, plus my part time job, and barely have enogh time to get a booth stuff ready. so i post for help. hope fans can help (and you guys sure did)

tommy from hg finds out.. "hey, stop over and see if we can give you things to give out"

kevin calls, "do you have a banner, i have one right here you can borrow.. "

wow, hg jumped right in to help out as well. they let me know carl macek will be at the con as well. that they would ask him to join our booth.

phone rings off the hook next two days "what do you need? i can help" i sent text messages out as well. and everyone started helping with this wagon with no horse...

wow... thats all i could say.. wow

i got calls from fans outside of state. thank you guys. no one was posting in the forums. i am glad everyone has my number,, and everyone called.

off to san diego!!!!!!

wensday, first day of comic con, preview member night
so i get to the con late wensday becouse i had to deal with the car, and doing runarounds. i went straight to the exibition regestration and got my booth pases and signed in, showed proper reciepts and paperwork orders.

line to pick up badges was very long, so decided to use exibitor pases. went to the booth and was jazzed to see "robotech x" wow... just...wow

ok, time to pick up my badge.. after i checked the floor of course. no one was in yet. hehehe

thursday, second day of comic con
well, started to set up early, doors opened and it gets packed quik. i get info from hg that tommy on the way so i start putting up fliers
carl will be signing
tommy yune will be signing
jesus barrero will be signing
and
panel at 645pm 6b

lot of robotech fans that are not on the site started to shop up at the booth. they were fun and very nice to talk to. told them about the panel and lot of them knew.

hehehe, like always, members in the forums but dont like to post. everything goes well and rtx fans started helping out
sasibonian, sdf1a, sighnup, phred, don yee, steve yun, etc

got so tired i took a nap.. and i woke up minutes before the panel!!! started cleaning the table up and with help with fans got it done quickly. (i have to take downeverything.and set up again next day).

got to the panel and fans started pushing me to the front of the line.. wow.. what did i do to desirve this much attention.

place was packed!!!!!!!!! and it was a huge room as well

found out later they closed the door on fans and industry people.. to over crowded. dang fire marshal..

oh well. it was a great panel. lots of fun

right after panel, everyone goes do their own thing. i go to mexico airport to get spanish voice actors. after crossing back from mexico, and a few tacos.. i take them to the hotel i found on wensday for them. pretty cheap at 89dlrs a night

friday comic con

wow, place is packed. i was able to get the passes for the voice actors. thanx to robotech fans working the staff of the con, i got me two free pases for them. these guys know robotech and i informed them of everything. cool guys.

friday was another packed day. we all had fun and ideas started working out. for next years booth.

saturday, comic con
wow...more people, more to talk about.

some debates got heated!!! big west this, big west that, live action this, live action that...

i love a challange. but we all have fun.

we get invited to a private part...in a boat in the marina. all cool..

hehehe

and my car breaks down..again.

darn, will wait till monday..and more money to spend...

sunday comic con day..last day!!!!
broke as hell, car in shop, and still holding together, i call in sick to work for monday.

re sign up for next year event..

and more fans to talk to. can you believe, people came back to say their well wishes. wow..

well guys...thats all in a nutshell..

hehehe
Last edit: 15 years 8 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
15 years 8 months ago #1061

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by SDF1A on topic Re:COMIC CON in San Diego, CA : July 24-27, 2008

They had a SDF-1? Should I even ask how much it was? I was happy to get my 2 cyclones.
"We are the music makers and the dreamers of dreams"= W. Wonka
15 years 8 months ago #1063

Replied by leela1977 on topic Re:COMIC CON in San Diego, CA : July 24-27, 2008

Thank you to all who posted photos and updates about comic con 2008!

Memo: Thank you, for all your hardwork and involvement to make this happen at comic con 2008!
15 years 8 months ago #1072

you welcome leela

and welcome aboard as well. this is the first time we go public at a convention.

and other convention staff came by and told us if we can open up a booth at their conventions!!!!

wow..

long live robotech
15 years 8 months ago #1074

• SIGHUP
  • SIGHUP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:COMIC CON in San Diego, CA : July 24-27, 2008

Everyone helped out but MEMO should really be given a #1 ROBOTECH fan of all time award. We just gave him the support, but he did all the grunt work.

Thanks MEMO and the rest for a great turnout.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
15 years 8 months ago #1089

Replied by SDF1A on topic Re:COMIC CON in San Diego, CA : July 24-27, 2008

Good job MEMO
"We are the music makers and the dreamers of dreams"= W. Wonka
15 years 8 months ago #1091

• Swampy19
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet
  • Hey wasup my fellow micronians

Replied by Swampy19 on topic Re:COMIC CON in San Diego, CA : July 24-27, 2008

Memo you should be commended for what you did man you truly have the passion of a Robotech fan with people like you in charge of this site im glad i come in here now maybe one day ill get to San Diego and meet you guys in person .
Robotech Academy hopefull
VF-200 DEMON SHADOW Squadron
1st Liutenant
Call Sign:
Devil
Weapons:
VF-1S
Hanzo Sword
15 years 8 months ago #1099

SWAMPY... ITS NOT ALL ME..

I ACTUALLY THANK ALL OF YOU. THIS IS YOUR HOUSE AND YOU GUYS JUST NEEDED TEH FOUNDATION TO START FROM. AND I CAN SAY I LIKE WHAT YOU GUYS BEEN DOING. LOT OF FANS, EVEN THOUGHT THEY DONT SIGN IN, PASS THROPUGH HERE AND LOOK INSIDE.

ALSO, ROBOTECH WAS HUGE AND TEH FANDOM THAT PARTICIPATED, CHILE FANS WANT TO COME AND SHOW OF THEIR WORK AND REPRESENT ROBOTECH CHILE FANDOM AT COMIC CON FOR 2009. I AM WORKING WITH THEM TO HELP THEM OUT AS MUCH AS I CAN WITH HOTEL AND PICKING THEM UP AT THE AIRPORT. THEY BRINGING STUFF TO SHOW OFF. AND I HOPE THE FANDOM, YOU GUYS, IN 2009 ARE THEIR TO SUPPORT THEM.

AND HERE ARE PICS THAT HG PUT UP FROM THE COMIC CON 2009 LINK.

CHECK IT OUT.
www.robotech.com/gallery/galimage/viewsubcategory.php?id=200
15 years 8 months ago #1267

Time to create page: 0.405 seconds