New Macross Weekly Magazine

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re: New Macross Weekly Magazine

Strange using DC as an example when they don't have a digital Robotech comic nor have had a printed RT comic for like half a decade now (unless you live in China).
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
11 years 9 months ago #19180

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Gubaba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: New Macross Weekly Magazine

MaverickLSC wrote:

Gubaba wrote;

Ermm...what does Bandai have to do with this? They didn't publish the magazine...

Very true, but they do share the property rights to Macross along with Big West.

They do? Since when?

Sorry, Mav...your unwillingness to gt even simple facts straight makes me leery of any proposal you might have.

If you had done serious research on the subject, and were in general coming from a more-informed place, then I would find your words much more persuasive.

As such, while I'm sure digital media is the future, Japan is still in the present.
11 years 9 months ago #19183

• mecha2241
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by mecha2241 on topic Re: New Macross Weekly Magazine

As much as I love my iPhone I have no plans to have it replace books/magazines/comics any time soon for one simple reason: they don't need batteries.
11 years 9 months ago #19186

• Gubaba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

mecha2241 wrote:

As much as I love my iPhone I have no plans to have it replace books/magazines/comics any time soon for one simple reason: they don't need batteries.

That's interesting, and it helps weaken Mav's thesis, but it's beside the point, as far as I'm concerned.

Mav said that the latest Macross magazine failed because it wasn't available digitally, and yet, he, by his own admission, doesn't know what Japanese fans want.

The business battlefield with is littered with corpses, both American and Japanese, who didn't learn the first lesson of business: KNOW YOUR MARKET (Ben and Jerry's failed within the first six months in Japan, only to surface again recently, because they DIDN'T DO THEIR RESEARCH. Likewise, a TON of money was spent trying to make Seiko Matsuda a big name in American music, and yet no one knows who she is, Stateside).

As such, Mav could've asked me what Japanese fans and Japanese publishers want. I have the ear of at least a couple of Japanese publishers, since several of my friends work in publishing, and my girlfriend is a professional manga artist.

He didn't do that. Instead, he simply insisted that his way was best, and we should all "clamor" for it. WITHOUT KNOWING HIS MARKET.

Heck, he couldn't even tell me who PUBLISHED the Macross magazine, which kinda defeats the purpose. If we're talking to Bandai, who doesn't publish it, we're simply wasting time that could be spent talking to the ACTUAL publisher.

So if Mav thinks that Digital Publishing, circa 2012, can work in Japan, I'd love to see a well-researched, well-sourced proposal. It would really ease my mind...

...Gubaba
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by Gubaba.
11 years 9 months ago #19197

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: New Macross Weekly Magazine

rtsurfer wrote;

Strange using DC as an example when they don't have a digital Robotech comic nor have had a printed RT comic for like half a decade now (unless you live in China).

Ah, you forget that the iPad debuted in April 3rd, 2010 with the Kindle debuting in 2007. But it was the gradual lowering of prices from these ereaders and tablet devices that enabled digital media to come to the foray, primary due to the iPad being exceptionally popular amongst users.

Robotech:Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles was published from October 2005 to January 2006. A bit early to take the opprotunity of this trend in digital print distribution. The past year or so have seen tremendous strides in this area and consumer adoption of these devices has already marked a change in the print industry.

Gubaba wrote;

Mav said that the latest Macross magazine failed because it wasn't available digitally, and yet, he, by his own admission, doesn't know what Japanese fans want.

No, I didn't say that the latest Macross magazine failed because it wasn't available digitally. What I've told you was a alternate means of a potential market, where such a magazine could thrive and with lowered production costs compared to expensive print.

Digital print can make such a prospect look favorable since the production overhead in distribution is digital, not tangible. Also the savings of producing the magazine digitally instead of print means that a nice profit can still be attained while passing the savings onto the consumer.

The consumers are tighten their belts and industry is responding by offering such services and products that reflect this change.

And considering the popularity of Macross in Japan plus their perchant nack of adopting technology, it wouldnt' be out of the question that the magazine might of been scanned into a digital format by the fans and then released illegaly.

Probably being read on such devices I've mentioned above.

How do you account for the rampant fan subs, illegal downloads via sites like megaupload and other illegal online distribution of videos, manga and etc?

With DC comics selling digital comics for 99 cents and games like angry birds selling like gangbusters, you can't blame the consumer who rather pay 99 cents for a digital comic or a few dollars for a game rather than waste bandwidth on illegal downloads.

Food for thought. ;)

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by MaverickLSC.
11 years 9 months ago #19200

• Gubaba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

True...you said:

MaverickLSC wrote:

Perhaps if they focused on digital print it would fare better.

With that "Perhaps" being a big red flag that you didn't know what you were talking about. But when I pressed you on the issue, you said that Digitial Publishing was the way to go, despire the fact that you've done no research.

I stand by my earlier statement: The business battlefield is littered with the corpses of people who tried to break into a business without doing their homework.

So, yeah...as you pointed out, you only made wishy-washy statements and took no real stance on the issue.

Why are you to be trusted, again...?
11 years 9 months ago #19201

• mecha2241
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by mecha2241 on topic Re: New Macross Weekly Magazine

Gubaba wrote:

True...you said:

MaverickLSC wrote:

With that "Perhaps" being a big red flag that you didn't know what you were talking about. But when I pressed you on the issue, you said that Digitial Publishing was the way to go, despire the fact that you've done no research.

I stand by my earlier statement: The business battlefield is littered with the corpses of people who tried to break into a business without doing their homework.

So, yeah...as you pointed out, you only made wishy-washy statements and took no real stance on the issue.

You summed up pretty much every post Mav has ever made. :woohoo:
11 years 9 months ago #19202

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: New Macross Weekly Magazine

Gubaba wrote:

I have the ear of at least a couple of Japanese publishers, since several of my friends work in publishing, and my girlfriend is a professional manga artist.

SO WHAT ARE YOU HEARING?

WHY DID MACROSS WEEKLY NOT PRINTING AGAIN? THEY DID NOT DO THEIR MARKET RESEARCH OR THEY DID AND POSSIBLY COMING OUT WITH SOMETHING BETTER. WHAT ARE YOU HEARING?
:blink:
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
11 years 9 months ago #19203

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re: New Macross Weekly Magazine

MaverickLSC wrote:

rtsurfer wrote;

Ah, you forget that the iPad debuted in April 3rd, 2010 with the Kindle debuting in 2007. But it was the gradual lowering of prices from these ereaders and tablet devices that enabled digital media to come to the foray, primary due to the iPad being exceptionally popular amongst users.

Robotech:Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles was published from October 2005 to January 2006. A bit early to take the opprotunity of this trend in digital print distribution. The past year or so have seen tremendous strides in this area and consumer adoption of these devices has already marked a change in the print industry.

I didn't forget anything, my point was you are using a company as the example that hasn't published a RT comic in half a decade in print or digital formats, rather ironic.
Maybe you should work on getting a new Robotech comic from DC in digital format, heck work on getting a new Robotech comic period... Good Luck ;)
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
11 years 9 months ago #19208

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: New Macross Weekly Magazine

Gubaba wrote;

I'm just point out an alternative Gubaba, there's nothing wrong in giving out input that could benefit those willing to listen. ;)

Memo wrote;

WHY DID MACROSS WEEKLY NOT PRINTING AGAIN? THEY DID NOT DO THEIR MARKET RESEARCH OR THEY DID AND POSSIBLY COMING OUT WITH SOMETHING BETTER. WHAT ARE YOU HEARING?

I wouldn't worry, it's obvious the publisher stopped producing the magazine, if the Macross fans wanted it to continue with its publication they would clamour together and let them know how they would like to receive their magazine whether print or in digital format.

My best bet is that what's happening in the anime industry is also happening in the manga/publishing industry as well.

Akira Otomo words it well in his comments regarding the anime industry;

www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-04-16...e-of-anime-industry#

I'm sure the manga/publishing industry is feeling similar reprecussions.

Kev sums it quite nicely here in regards to what's happening in the anime industry;

robotechnews.blogspot.ca/2012/04/akira-c...-about-state-of.html

Yep, Kev says it spot on. :)

Gubaba wrote;

True...you said:

MaverickLSC wrote:

What red flag Gubaba? I was postulating an alternative, nothing more. Want research? I'll leave you with this;

blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2010/08/16/t...ga-and-ipad-romance/

blog.bigtimewireless.com/comics-manga-ipad/

www.japantimes.co.jp/text/fd20110717a1.html

www.cafemanga.co.uk/manga/easily-obtaini...e-nook-and-more.html

www.animenewsnetwork.com/press-release/2...media-manga-ipad-app

And remember that some of those links include the impact these digital devices are having worldwide including Japan.

Finally, barely any research was needed in this case, as by mere observation one can see the change these devices are incurring globally.

I rest my case.

Maverick out!
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by MaverickLSC.
11 years 9 months ago #19209

Time to create page: 0.407 seconds