New Macross Weekly Magazine

• Gubaba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: New Macross Weekly Magazine

SIGHUP wrote:

Gubaba wrote:

Why doesn't HG follow your advice and release their own stuff digitally, as you suggest?

Apologies in advanced since i have not read the entire thread here. But according to the SDCC 2012 RT Panel they did. Tommy talked about releasing their stuff digitally in E-Book format.

It wasn't the ebook part I was disputing. Mav said that Bandai would be better served to just publish the Macross magazine themselves rather than going through a publisher.

But then he said that HG has such partners as DC Comics, Del Rey, and Palladium, as though that was a GOOD thing.
11 years 9 months ago #19303

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 13

Replied by Protoculture on topic Re: New Macross Weekly Magazine

Waters7 wrote:

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:
Waters7 wrote:

That is nowhere near the quality or the effort of a weekly magazine like Macross Chronicle... I guess people are happy with peanuts after all :laugh: :P

TO EACH HIS OWN I GUESS.

LIKE I SAID, NOT ABLE TO READ THE MAGAZINE IS WHAT STOPPED ME FROM CONTINUING TO PICK UP THE MAGAZINES. NO MATER THE QUALITY.

As always, you missed the point completely.
Neither Gubaba or I are talking about re-re-releasing old material in a new format. We were talking about HG producing a publication similar to Macross Chronicle.

One can only dream right? ;)

The only thing even similar to Macross Chronicle would only be the newly Robotech RPG sourcebooks fronts .... which crickets has been chirping ever since ....

Gubaba can even confirmed this with Seto Kaiba, the archenemy numero uno in RT.com & RTX.com, but still dispenses daily doses of hard cold facts @ Palladium Robotech board.
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by Protoculture.
11 years 9 months ago #19313

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: New Macross Weekly Magazine

Gubaba wrote;

Both of us. The first run of the magazine 2008-2010 was biweekly. The second run (2012) was going to be weekly.

Thank you to answering my question, I was thinking we're all on the same page in discussing the second run. That first run did do well, just wondering why the second run didn't.

I mentioned the digital prints as an option and the reasons for I'll list it below.

Gubaba wrote;

The first, 50-issue run was successful. It was announced at fifty issues, all of them came out. The second run was going to be eighty issues, each one made up mostly of reprinted material from the first run, with some new things thrown in. It ended abruptly because there just releasing a test run and the sales weren't up to snuff.

So the sales were down, was it the fans tired of reprints? Was it the quality of the material? No, I don't think so, I do think that the market is changing globally with the adoption of these tablet devices.

Their acceptance have been universal, even in Japan.

You mentioned that the first run was from 2008 to 2010! The iPad was first released in 2010. The second run was in 2012 which by then online webcomics and digital print distribution were hitting their stride.

Gubaba wrote;

Why doesn't HG follow your advice and release their own stuff digitally, as you suggest? Why are you advising Bandai to go a certain route and then defend HG for NOT going down that same route...?

SIGHUP wrote;

Apologies in advanced since i have not read the entire thread here. But according to the SDCC 2012 RT Panel they did. Tommy talked about releasing their stuff digitally in E-Book format.

Gubaba wrote;

It wasn't the ebook part I was disputing. Mav said that Bandai would be better served to just publish the Macross magazine themselves rather than going through a publisher.

But then he said that HG has such partners as DC Comics, Del Rey, and Palladium, as though that was a GOOD thing.

I want to thank SIGHUP for clarifying the matter, yes it was indeed mentioned at the SDCC Robotech panel.

Gubaba, you criticize Harmony Gold for utilizing third parties for publishing Robotech material. Gubaba, is this your way of saying that you weren't satisfied with the way D'agostini handled Macross Chronicle? Is this to whom you lay the blame?

Yet you maintained that Macross Chronicle was a success, isn't that sugar coating it just a bit! ;)

If you want Macross Chronicle to continue then don't you think the Macross fans should make this known to the publisher and indicate which medium of choice they like to receive their magazine in?

Protoculture wrote;

Gubaba can even confirmed this with Seto Kaiba, the archenemy numero uno in RT.com & RTX.com, but still dispenses daily doses of hard cold facts @ Palladium Robotech board.

I'll give credit where it's due, SetoKaiba is an expert in his knowledge of the original source material, but remember Robotech is still different.

A completely different animal! :)

But when it comes to the Berne convention, he falls short of the mark. He failed to mention that copyright holders who provide copyright notices on their published material, prior to their country joining the Berne convention have their copyrights fully protected within the context of the convention. Just like the existed Berne member countries who've signed onto the convention.

But that's another story, worthy of a grandiose epic! ;)

Anyway Gubaba, this is not about stirring the pot. More like offering advice that can make a difference.

Since you live in Japan, why not mentioned this to those in charge of the property. I admit I don't know the Japanese market, but I do know trends.

Btw, thanks for making this civil!

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
11 years 9 months ago #19320

• Gubaba
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: New Macross Weekly Magazine

MaverickLSC wrote:

Gubaba, you criticize Harmony Gold for utilizing third parties for publishing Robotech material.

I never did that.

YOU said Bandai should cut out the middleman and publish stuff directly. Then you praised Harmony Gold for working with DC, Del Rey, and Palladium.

I was calling you out on you inconsistency, not criticizing either company.

MaverickLSC wrote:

Anyway Gubaba, this is not about stirring the pot. More like offering advice that can make a difference.

Since you live in Japan, why not mentioned this to those in charge of the property.

Well, that's one of the nice things about the 21st century isn't it? Theoretically, anyone can get in touch with anyone else with just a few strokes on a keyboard. So since this is your issue, I'll let you bring it up to them.
11 years 9 months ago #19322

• Waters7
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Waters7 on topic Re: New Macross Weekly Magazine

I wouldn't' be calling that a success, more like someone looking at the situation with Rose coloured glasses.

Wait a minute! Mav is talking about seeing things thru rose coloured glasses?? :ohmy:
This coming from a person that a few years ago wrote "an opinion" about how Paramount and other studios were quaking on their boots about the RLAM and how Transformers 2 was rushed because of the RLAM?

Mav, I sure hope that you will consider a career as a stand up comedian because you sure make me laugh :lol:
11 years 9 months ago #19336

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: New Macross Weekly Magazine

Waters7 wrote;

Mav, I sure hope that you will consider a career as a stand up comedian because you sure make me laugh

Oddly, the funniest part in all of this. Is that, everything I've said turned out to be true.

Case in point, ask the fans about Transformers 2! ;)
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
11 years 9 months ago #19339

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: New Macross Weekly Magazine

TIME TO MODERATE

THANKS FOR KEEPING THIS THREAD ON TOPIC FOR THOSE THAT CAN STILL POST.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 11 years 9 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
11 years 9 months ago #19347

• Waters7
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Waters7 on topic Re: New Macross Weekly Magazine

MaverickLSC wrote:

Waters7 wrote;

Mav, I sure hope that you will consider a career as a stand up comedian because you sure make me laugh

Oddly, the funniest part in all of this. Is that, everything I've said turned out to be true.

Case in point, ask the fans about Transformers 2! ;)

What part turned out to be true? :lol:
I'm asking because I don't make up opinions wearing rose coloured glasses ;)

Also, what is it that you asked the fans about transformers 2?
11 years 9 months ago #19351

• Lobizon
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Bounty Hunter! =☠=
  • Thank you received: 4

Replied by Lobizon on topic Re: New Macross Weekly Magazine

Macross Chronicle Revised Edition to be Released!

www.macrossworld.com/3725/macross-chroni...tion-to-be-released/
11 years 4 months ago #19825

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: New Macross Weekly Magazine

PRETTY COOL BUT WILL PASS ON ON THESE.

IF IT WAS IN ENGLISH WOULD HAVE PICKED THEM UP. WILL CHECK THE NOTES ONLINE LATER ON THEM WHEN SOMEONE PUTS THEM UP.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
11 years 4 months ago #19838

Time to create page: 0.383 seconds