Macross Movie DYRL....Why no sequel?

• Maxmapster
  • Maxmapster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • Thank you received: 0

Macross Movie DYRL....Why no sequel? was created by Maxmapster

I know it was a spin off movie, unrelated to the series. But seriously this was an amazing movie! Sure there was Macross Flashback 2012, but all you got to see were bits and pieces from the Macross Saga. Would have been awesome if they did a sequel or at least another movie or 2 following. There was a lot of potential there to do another movie. Every other series has sequels and movies. Just look at Macross 7 and Frontier.
12 years 1 month ago #18344

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: Macross Movie DYRL....Why no sequel?

I think Kawamori stated that the original Macross (and, thus, DYRL and Flashback 2012) was really about Hikaru, Misa, and Minmay and with Macross Flashback 2012, their story was finished so no direct sequels were needed. Would have been nice if DYRL could have been split into a trilogy though.
12 years 1 month ago #18351

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: Macross Movie DYRL....Why no sequel?

Maxmapster wrote:

I know it was a spin off movie, unrelated to the series. But seriously this was an amazing movie! Sure there was Macross Flashback 2012, but all you got to see were bits and pieces from the Macross Saga. Would have been awesome if they did a sequel or at least another movie or 2 following. There was a lot of potential there to do another movie. Every other series has sequels and movies. Just look at Macross 7 and Frontier.

You answered your own question...Flashback 2012, Macross II, Macross Plus, Macross 7, and Macross Frontier are the sequels.

Macross is a multi-generational epic.
12 years 1 month ago #18359

• Maxmapster
  • Micronian
  • Micronian

Replied by Maxmapster on topic Re: Macross Movie DYRL....Why no sequel?

In fact, Macross 2, Macross Plus, Macross 7, and Macross Frontier are not sequels to Macross - DYRL and Flashbacks 2012. They are set in a totally alternate spin off universe. Kinda with Macross 2 - they kinda go a bit off there.
12 years 1 month ago #18364

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Maxmapster wrote:

In fact, Macross 2, Macross Plus, Macross 7, and Macross Frontier are not sequels to Macross - DYRL and Flashbacks 2012. They are set in a totally alternate spin off universe. Kinda with Macross 2 - they kinda go a bit off there.

Actually, only Macross 2 is officially in an alternate universe. DYRL is like a reimaging though the original tv show events are cannon. Kawamori just wants people to ignore the minor design changes like uniforms and mecha modifications. That's why Macross The First can kind of be seen as a way to fix the cosmetic changes. The important thing is that all Macross productions other than Macross 2 take place in the same timeline.
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by ps99041.
12 years 1 month ago #18366

• Lobizon
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Bounty Hunter! =☠=
  • Thank you received: 4

Replied by Lobizon on topic Re: Macross Movie DYRL....Why no sequel?

DYRL was a movie made in 2030-something, don't forget the talk in Macross 7 ep # 1 between Sally and Miho Miho.
12 years 1 month ago #18369

• Maxmapster
  • Micronian
  • Micronian

Replied by Maxmapster on topic Re: Macross Movie DYRL....Why no sequel?

Macross 7, I've never actually watched any episodes of that series. Is it any good to watch?
12 years 1 month ago #18376

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Maxmapster wrote:

Macross 7, I've never actually watched any episodes of that series. Is it any good to watch?

It's a love it or hate it it seems for most people when it comes to Macross 7. I've tried to watch it 3 times and couldn't do it. When I'm on paternity leave in July, I'm gonna try to sit through it with my new daughter. No matter what you think of the series though, I think the valkyrie designs are awesome, especially the VF-17S. :)
12 years 1 month ago #18379

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Macross Movie DYRL....Why no sequel?

SAME HERE. SEEN IT ONCE IN A FULL RUN. AFTER THAT, THAT WAS IT.

DON'T THINK I'LL EVER GO BACK TO WATCHING IT AGAIN.

NOW MACROSS II IS OK. DYRL TOPS EVERYTHING THOUGHT.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
12 years 1 month ago #18383

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: Macross Movie DYRL....Why no sequel?

ps99041 wrote:

Maxmapster wrote:

It's a love it or hate it it seems for most people when it comes to Macross 7. I've tried to watch it 3 times and couldn't do it. When I'm on paternity leave in July, I'm gonna try to sit through it with my new daughter. No matter what you think of the series though, I think the valkyrie designs are awesome, especially the VF-17S. :)

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

SAME HERE. SEEN IT ONCE IN A FULL RUN. AFTER THAT, THAT WAS IT.

DON'T THINK I'LL EVER GO BACK TO WATCHING IT AGAIN.

I think Macross 7 is okay. Not great, often not even good, but okay.

Kinda like Sentinels, I think the way the story would play out in everyone's head is better than the execution.

PLUSES: 1. You get to see Max and Milia (and a couple of their kids!) again, along with (DYRL-style) Exsedol.
2. You get to find out about the Supervision Army, and how they were created.
3. Pretty awesome music overall (although "Planet Dance" is WAY overused in the first fourteen or fifteen episodes).
4. Generally good story of a band starting small and making it big, on a grand scale.
5. General plot (A small fleet against a team of basically invulnerable space demons) is compelling.
6. VF-19 and VF-22...what's not to like?
7. Mikimoto character designs, Miyatake and Kawamori mecha designs.

MINUSES: 1. It never becomes the big mecha action anime that everyone wanted it to be. (Comes close towards the end, mind you...but never quite makes it.)
2. Basara annoys THE HELL out of a lot of people.
3. TOO MUCH "PLANET DANCE" IN THE FIRST FOURTEEN OR FIFTEEN EPISODES.
4. It takes too long for the plot to REALLY get going (basically the first thirteen episodes are set-up).
5. Said Space Demons aren't as frightening as they should be (Miyatake's original designs look better than the final result).
6. It takes too long to discover the true nature of the space demons.
7. Not-very-good animation overall (TONS of recycled battle footage, and Fire Bomber never REALLY look like they're playing their instruments).

But hey, if you like Macross, check it out. You'll probably find SOMETHING you like about it, and who knows? You might find yourself in the rare group that likes 7 better than the original (I'm er, not a member of that group, just so you know).
12 years 1 month ago #18385

Time to create page: 0.483 seconds