copy of Macross DYRL?

• lil-mungus
  • Topic Author
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • Thank you received: 0

copy of Macross DYRL? was created by lil-mungus

I hate to say this but I have only seen clips of Macross DYRL and am kinda unfamiliar with its availability so I have a bunch of questions:

1. Do you guys have the old VHS copy or the DVD version floating around the internet & what is difference if you have seen them both?

2. I don't think the VHS version is anywhere so should I buy the DVD version if available?

3. Is the DVD a bootleg? And is it decent quality if you have seen it? Also it seems there are 2 versions. One regular & one with extra music & an optional English dub.

4. What price do you think is worth it or what would you pay to have this movie?

Sorry Macross DYRL is still somewhat unknown to me as far as its release history & availablity goes. I am familiar with its premise & story so I don't really need explaining there, but if somebody wants to clue me in on some of these aspects of the actual physical copy of the movie I would gladly listen. Just trying to decide to get a copy. Thanks
12 years 1 month ago #18404

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: copy of Macross DYRL?

lil mungus wrote:

I hate to say this but I have only seen clips of Macross DYRL and am kinda unfamiliar with its availability so I have a bunch of questions:

1. Do you guys have the old VHS copy or the DVD version floating around the internet & what is difference if you have seen them both?

2. I don't think the VHS version is anywhere so should I buy the DVD version if available?

3. Is the DVD a bootleg? And is it decent quality if you have seen it? Also it seems there are 2 versions. One regular & one with extra music & an optional English dub.

4. What price do you think is worth it or what would you pay to have this movie?

Sorry Macross DYRL is still somewhat unknown to me as far as its release history & availablity goes. I am familiar with its premise & story so I don't really need explaining there, but if somebody wants to clue me in on some of these aspects of the actual physical copy of the movie I would gladly listen. Just trying to decide to get a copy. Thanks

You're opening up a can of worms here...there are MANY, MANY releases of DYRL on VHS and DVD (and lasterdisc!), both legal and bootleg.

Bottom line (the part you won't want to hear): any version with subtitles is a bootleg.

There's also an English dub, done in 1985, but it's laughably bad. I don't recommend it.

If you're going to go for the legal release, the 2007 remaster is probably your best bet. But it's expensive ( used on Amazon for about USD$50.00).

There are also two distinct versions of the movie, the "Theatrical Version" and the "Special Edition." I prefer the Theatrical Version, but its only appearance on DVD was in the limited edition of the 2007 remaster , which is even more expensive than the regular edition.

The "Special Edition," which was released first in 1992, has some footage from Flashback 2012 tacked on at the end, and also has a stereo audio (the original was mono).

I prefer the Theatrical Version. Your mileage may vary.

Anyway, good luck!
12 years 1 month ago #18405

Replied by Benson- on topic Re: copy of Macross DYRL?

If you go to youtube and look up Dark Heros Productions you can find an English version of DYRL. It's pretty damn good considering it was voiced over as a fan project. I just set it up so that all the parts play one after another and bam movie is ready to watch.
12 years 1 month ago #18408

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Benson wrote:

If you go to youtube and look up Dark Heros Productions you can find an English version of DYRL. It's pretty damn good considering it was voiced over as a fan project. I just set it up so that all the parts play one after another and bam movie is ready to watch.

Yeah, I heard about that from Maverick_LSC...he was coming down pretty hard on it for being an illegal, unauthorized dub of the original.
Last edit: 12 years 1 month ago by Gubaba.
12 years 1 month ago #18409

Replied by Benson- on topic Re: copy of Macross DYRL?

I loved it. It's all ready to go on my Xbox whenever I wanna watch it.

If Maverick has a problem with it, he doesn't have to watch it.
12 years 1 month ago #18420

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: copy of Macross DYRL?

Gubaba wrote:

Yeah, I heard about that from Maverick_LSC...he was coming down pretty hard on it for being an illegal, unauthorized dub of the original.

I THOUGHT YOU GUYS WERE IN AN AGREEMENT OVER ILLEGAL DOWNLOADS?

SO IT'S OK NOW FOR YOU GUBABA?
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
12 years 1 month ago #18424

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

Gubaba wrote:

I THOUGHT YOU GUYS WERE IN AN AGREEMENT OVER ILLEGAL DOWNLOADS?

SO IT'S OK NOW FOR YOU GUBABA?

No, it's not, as you well know.

But (again, as you know) I'm not a moderator for Robotech.com, so my word counts for little. Mav, on the other hand, is. So his word should count for more, yes?

Do you agree? If not, I'll gladly be an RT.com moderator. Just show me where I should report to and when. After all, members have been clamoring for more moderation, right?
12 years 1 month ago #18431

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Or, to quote Mav himself:

MaverickLSC wrote:

But if you continue this absolutely silly discussion on licensing issues then I'll know for a fact that the lot of you have OCD! And I don't need proof because your behaviors are proof enough.

You guys have issues, bad ones at that.

I will not explain what OCD is, I'll let you guys research this for yourselves as you guys definitely spend way too much time surfing the net and arguing and bickering on silly and stupid details which have no relation to your life or anyone elses.

Grow up, be a man. And stop dicking around.

Mav...

12 years 1 month ago #18435

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: copy of Macross DYRL?

Benson wrote:

Gubaba wrote:

Benson never was referring to me Gubaba, you just inferred it when there was no connection to begin with!

My answer as always to these kinds of questions, as quoted from Robotech.com;

www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=2140282&forumid=24

Until the legal licensing issues are resolved. Macross DYRL won't get a proper release outside of Japan.

That sums it up nicely. ;)

Mav...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
12 years 1 month ago #18436

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

MaverickLSC wrote:

Benson wrote:

Gubaba wrote:

Benson never was referring to me Gubaba, you just inferred it when there was no connection to begin with!

My answer as always to these kinds of questions, as quoted from Robotech.com;

www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=2140282&forumid=24

Until the legal licensing issues are resolved. Macross DYRL won't get a proper release outside of Japan.

That sums it up nicely. ;)

Mav...

Oh, so you won't back up your original post? Sad to hear you don't have the courage of your convictions.

Didn't you say this?

MaverickLSC wrote:

What Doug has posted in fact is a fan dub of Macross:DYRL

Fan dub;

from these guys here;

hikuro.thetfcog.com/Macross%20DYRL.htm

If you want Doug to remove this particular podcast, it's only fair these guys remove the downloads to the fandub of DYRL from both YouTube and the affiliated download links where this dub is available at since they too are also infringing on copyrightable material which they do not own.

I guess you think "Infringing on copyrightable material which they do not own" is okay, huh?
12 years 1 month ago #18437

Time to create page: 0.380 seconds