J J Smith - Robotech Narrator

• sanman
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet
  • Thank you received: 0

J J Smith - Robotech Narrator was created by sanman

Carl Macek mentions that J J Smith, narrator of the original series is still alive. Watch 8:29

Damn, it would be cool to have this guy's voice in any upcoming Robotech videogame!
14 years 2 months ago #10328

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• sanman
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet

Replied by sanman on topic Re:J J Smith - Robotech Narrator

Here's his website:

johnjsmith.com/

And it mentions Robotech! B)
14 years 2 months ago #10329

Replied by Operator7G on topic Re:J J Smith - Robotech Narrator

Excellent find! Thanks for that! :)
14 years 2 months ago #10352

• sanman
  • Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet

Replied by sanman on topic Re:J J Smith - Robotech Narrator

Gee, I remember reading some discussion on the net once, where they said he had died, and I felt disappointed. I'm glad to hear he's still alive and kicking, and I hope that he could be tapped for a future Robotech game, or a future series, or even just a cameo in the live action movie.
14 years 2 months ago #10390

Replied by SteelMax on topic Re:J J Smith - Robotech Narrator

I am glad as well that he is alive. The Robotech.com forum had a thread back in '05, and partway through it the topic swayed towards the "Narrator Guy"; and somebody had told me that he'd died some years before. Of course, I didn't know Mr. JJ Smith's name yet; so I wasn't in a position to research it. That's what's both good and bad about the internet: we can check facts, but we can find false leads as well.
For years, word among fellow Robotech fans was that Carl Macek had passed away. I'm serious. In South Florida, we got word that a Robotech Motion Picture was coming; to be followed by "Robotech II: The Sentinels".....then NOTHING. In late '89, I found the "Sentinels" paperbacks in the bookstore; EOTC at a later time. It was in 1993 or 1994 when I heard from a guy (who owned a VHS of the existing Sentinels episodes) who stated that HE heard that 'Harmony Gold had a fire, and that Carl Macek died as he rushed into a burning building trying to salvage "Sentinels" footage'.....hence the abrupt end of Robotech.
I'm serious, this story really WAS out there. Until I was introduced to Robotech.com some years ago, I
thought that THAT was the truth!
Are there any other "85-ers" that heard something similar?
Last edit: 14 years 1 month ago by SteelMax. Reason: typo
14 years 1 month ago #10675

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:J J Smith - Robotech Narrator

SteelMax wrote:

I am glad as well that he is alive. The Robotech.com forum had a thread back in '05, and partway through it the topic swayed towards the "Narrator Guy"; and somebody had told me that he'd died some years before. Of course, I didn't know Mr. JJ Smith's name yet; so I wasn't in a position to research it. That's what's both good and bad about the internet: we can check facts, but we can find false leads as well.
For years, word among fellow Robotech fans was that Carl Macek had passed away. I'm serious. In South Florida, we got word that a Robotech Motion Picture was coming; to be followed by "Robotech II: The Sentinels".....then NOTHING. In late '89, I found the "Sentinels" paperbacks in the bookstore; EOTC at a later time. It was in 1993 or 1994 when I heard from a guy (who owned a VHS of the existing Sentinels episodes) who stated that HE heard that 'Harmony Gold had a fire, and that Carl Macek died as he rushed into a burning building trying to salvage "Sentinels" footage'.....hence the abrupt end of Robotech.
I'm serious, this story really WAS out there. Until I was introduced to Robotech.com some years ago, I
[ithought][/i] that THAT was the truth!
Are there any other "85-ers" that heard something similar?

LOL, that is too weird! Especially since I used to pass by the Harmony Gold building nearly every day in '95 and '96...

As for strange rumors...the only one that I can recall is someone saying that the Jack McKinney novels came first, and that the series was based on them. Which is doubly odd since the dedications in the books make it clear that the show came first.
14 years 1 month ago #10693

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by Last_Valk_Standing on topic Re:J J Smith - Robotech Narrator

It's good to know he is still alive. i heard it over on RT.com as well. Odd that nobody knew the wiser until now. His voice was perfect for the part.
Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL
Huge fan of Attention On Deck website.

Official Reporter for MNN (Macross News Network LOL)
14 years 1 month ago #10704

Replied by Alois-Fisher on topic Re:J J Smith - Robotech Narrator

I remember that Greg Snegoff told me that was a risky choice to take a narrator for a tv serie animated, but he was very happy with the finished work of JJ Smith.
14 years 1 week ago #11522

Time to create page: 0.328 seconds