MOSPEADA vs ORGUSS: Which Fits Robotech?

• Adam_Schiller
  • Adam_Schiller's Avatar Topic Author
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • Thank you received: 0

MOSPEADA vs ORGUSS: Which Fits Robotech? was created by Adam_Schiller

Of course, I was inspired by the thread which asked whether Southern Cross or MOSPEADA better fit Robotech. :side: Nevertheless, Carl Macek's decision to utilise MOSPEADA rather than Orguss (as, in brief, the Japanese had) as a relative to Macross and Southern Cross was one of the most important decisions in the design process.

Before going any further, I humbly ask that all involved place aside any emotional connection to the Macross/Masters/NewGen design and fully place oneself in the shoes of the Robotech design team circa 1984/1985.--What if it were Orguss instead?

Long ago, I had a discussion on DougBendo's Robotech talkcast regarding the possibilities of integrating Orguss into Robotech. From the very beginning, Orguss possesses properties which MOSPEADA simply cannot replicate--that is, Haruhiko Mikimoto's character designs, Studio Nue's mechanical designs, and a storyline of a same...uh..."masculinity" as Macross.

Comparing Orguss' designs to Macross is easy, but when one throws Southern Cross into the equation, MOSPEADA starts to look a lot more attractive. The plainer, more down-to-earth character designs of MOSPEADA more closely resemble TSC than Macross in the same vein that mechanical designs such as the Spartas and Logan--more practical than beautiful--compare to the bulky Legioss and strange-extremitied Tread fighters. Add the addition of Armies of the Southern Cross body armours relating to MOSPEADA armours and the evolution (if there is to be one) becomes very clear.

At this point, one becomes locked into a debate separate from whether one fits "better" than the other; it makes sense that if the "new" Robotech series is going to flow (in terms of story) as Macross--> Orguss-or-MOSPEADA--> Southern Cross, then Orguss makes the "change-over" aesthetically easier. By contrast, if the series flow is Macross--> Southern Cross --> Orguss-or-MOSPEADA, then aesthetically, MOSPEADA makes more sense.

As a science fiction writer myself, I understand the necessity to understand where a story is going to drive the series, regardless of visual designs. Whether Southern Cross went second or third in the lineup is inconsequential given a strong and conscientious writer working on the Robotech project. At this point, I'll leave the above for discussion. Hopefully, we can get some good talking points out of this one in the interim.
Last edit: 15 years 3 months ago by Adam_Schiller.
15 years 3 months ago #2058

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Replied by Veritech_IDEON on topic Re:MOSPEADA vs ORGUSS: Which Fits Robotech?

I've always felt that Orguss could work as a sequel to Mospeada in the context of the Robotech III: The Odyssey concept. (Events that took place on Earth while Scott Bernard was searching for the SDF-3).

I think that the time-oscillation bomb could be used as a cool-retcon explanation of the SDF-1s arrival on Earth, the disappearance of its fold drives, the disappearance of the SDF-3, and/or any of the other bizarre time-space phenomena in Robotech.
MACROSS SAGA > ROBOTECH MASTERS > NEW GENERATION

IMHO

My hobbies include:

Robotech

That's it.
15 years 2 months ago #2741

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:MOSPEADA vs ORGUSS: Which Fits Robotech?

NEVER WATCHED ANY OF THE SERIES IN ITS ORIGINAL VERSION. WAS THERE NOT A TIME WHEN FANS WERE TRYING TO SEE IF THEY COULD TAKE SOME OF THE ANIMATION FROM MEGAZONE AND MAKE IT WORK? OR WAS IT ORGUSS?
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
15 years 2 months ago #2749

• xXxBAzzARxXx
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • Bye Bye Mars

Replied by xXxBAzzARxXx on topic Re:MOSPEADA vs ORGUSS: Which Fits Robotech?

in no offense to anyone i hated orguss, yeah the ship kinda looked like the sdf-1 and yeah it could work as a spin off, and EVEN A LOT OF THE CHARACTERS LOOKED LIKE MACROSS CHARACTERS[which was the only reason i decided to watch it] , but there was just something missing!!! and i just HATED that stupid looking dinosaur!!! i could almost say Jar jar was ripped off this guy.... [img size=500x502] www.pure-records.com/casey/images/discography/orguss.jpg [/img]

but thank god it wasn't a spin off.

But thats just my opinion
WE WILL WIN!!!
14 years 10 months ago #4281

• Seto-Kaiba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Seto-Kaiba on topic Re:MOSPEADA vs ORGUSS: Which Fits Robotech?

xXxBAzzARxXx wrote:

in no offense to anyone i hated orguss

Wasn't too fond of it either, truth be told. It was still worlds better than Southern Cross, and about on the same level with Mospeada. I give it a bit of extra credit for the beautiful Mikimoto character designs tho.

xXxBAzzARxXx wrote:

A LOT OF THE CHARACTERS LOOKED LIKE MACROSS CHARACTERS

Well, yeah... Haruhiko Mikimoto designed the characters for both. He likes to sneak stuff from his older work into newer stuff... he did it with Gunbuster and Macross 7 too.
14 years 10 months ago #4283

Time to create page: 0.284 seconds