Disappointed in final episode of 'Macross saga' (SPOILER ALERT)

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Disappointed in final episode of 'Macross saga' (SPOILER ALERT)

Alpha Bravo wrote:

LadyGrimes wrote: I preferred the Sentinels story arc and still do. I never was a fan of Shadow Chronicles tbh.

It seems silly to declare Sentinels non-canon, to "make room for" Shadow Chronicles, when Shadow Chronicles borrows several characters and elements from Sentinels anyway. Also the fact that it still doesn't answer what the Sentinels crew were actually doing during that time, and as a "continuation" of that story, doesn't get in the way to begin with.

Yeah, I never understood the reasoning behind that decision either. I know there was somewhat of a Sentinels continuation via comics but that's it. But like if you're going to declare something non-canon then why use those characters? Isn't that basically saying they no longer exist in that universe? Or am I just confused?

This calls for a reaction gif!

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
8 years 6 days ago #22013

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 573

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic Disappointed in final episode of 'Macross saga' (SPOILER ALERT)

LadyGrimes wrote: Yeah, I never understood the reasoning behind that decision either. I know there was somewhat of a Sentinels continuation via comics but that's it. But like if you're going to declare something non-canon then why use those characters? Isn't that basically saying they no longer exist in that universe? Or am I just confused?

The entire Sentinels story was printed in paperback under the "Jack McKinney" penname (James Luceno and Brian Daley). You can probably find them online somewhere. End of the Circle though got really metaphysical and really rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. I was a young teenager when I read it so I really couldn't give a grown-up opinion of it.

That reaction gif was pretty much my reaction upon watching the Shadow Chronicles behind-the-scenes interviews with the guy pumping his fists in the air exclaiming "I got to write Robotech!!"
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
8 years 5 days ago #22016

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Disappointed in final episode of 'Macross saga' (SPOILER ALERT)

Alpha Bravo wrote:

LadyGrimes wrote: Yeah, I never understood the reasoning behind that decision either. I know there was somewhat of a Sentinels continuation via comics but that's it. But like if you're going to declare something non-canon then why use those characters? Isn't that basically saying they no longer exist in that universe? Or am I just confused?

The entire Sentinels story was printed in paperback under the "Jack McKinney" penname (James Luceno and Brian Daley). You can probably find them online somewhere. End of the Circle though got really metaphysical and really rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. I was a young teenager when I read it so I really couldn't give a grown-up opinion of it.

That reaction gif was pretty much my reaction upon watching the Shadow Chronicles behind-the-scenes interviews with the guy pumping his fists in the air exclaiming "I got to write Robotech!!"

That's right I forgot about the Sentinels novels, thanks for the reminder btw. And a lot of those characters were basically Glen Mazzara'd in Prelude to TSC while those who fit into the story were kept or borrowed as you said. Forgive me but my memory is utter shit these days so I can't remember if some original characters were created for TSC or not. Wasn't Marcus an original and Maia?

But yeah my initial reaction of Shadow Chronicles was basically this

followed by

So yeah not a happy camper in the end. It's not easy being a RT fan when there's not much to look forward to these days.
Thank god for other fandoms though.

8 years 5 days ago #22017

• Thank you received: 554

Replied by ds55 on topic Disappointed in final episode of 'Macross saga' (SPOILER ALERT)

yep macross totally different than robotech, more graphic.
Macross forever :D

#Biden not my President!
8 years 5 days ago #22019

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Peter Young on topic Disappointed in final episode of 'Macross saga' (SPOILER ALERT)

When I created an account to weeks ago, I knew this was the right place for a Sentinels-fan like me. :)

(which kinda sounds weird, though, for someone who als liked X-men ;) )

In general, an audience of any given tv series (and perhaps movie or comics or novel series as well) may like other series as well, but might lose interest when the original characters of a series suddenly get replaced by new ones.

With Voltron and Macron 1, the focus always seems to be on the characters of the first series: the lions and 'Go Shogun'. Viewers apparently were too attached to the first groups of characters to develop the same feelings for the successors.
Feelings they might have had for all kinds of characters, had it been four different series instead of being edited into two.

I remember seeing Macron 1 as a kid and reruns as a teenager. I did not even know there was a 'second' team in another dimension untill a year ago, when I felt nostalgic and watched an episode on youtube. Appparently the buyers of European tv stations decided only to air the first part of the show. I take it the intro was changed so only the 'Shogun'-characters were seen.

Voltron I only know from online descriptions. These usually focus on the lions.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Peter Young.
8 years 5 days ago #22020

Replied by Alpha Bravo on topic Disappointed in final episode of 'Macross saga' (SPOILER ALERT)

LadyGrimes wrote: That's right I forgot about the Sentinels novels, thanks for the reminder btw. And a lot of those characters were basically Glen Mazzara'd in Prelude to TSC while those who fit into the story were kept or borrowed as you said. Forgive me but my memory is utter shit these days so I can't remember if some original characters were created for TSC or not. Wasn't Marcus an original and Maia?

Marcus, Maia, and Alex were original characters. Everyone else, and I mean EVERYONE else, was either from the original trilogy, or the Sentinels.
"Offers that are selected that the deposit paid the amount that we do not decide, or the pool, sipping mulled wine, and in addition you can play table tennis, there is one drawback, I do not have rights." - random spambot (translated)
8 years 5 days ago #22021

• Thank you received: 10

Replied by DR-052 on topic Disappointed in final episode of 'Macross saga' (SPOILER ALERT)

Alpha Bravo wrote: ... silly to declare Sentinels non-canon, to "make room for" Shadow Chronicles...

Never heard that. Who said that? it's part of the series. whoever said that should not be allowed to make decisions. Far as I'm concerned they aren't cannon.
"Tears will not help him. Only a bold brave plan can save him now, and we do not have one." :dry: - Mimi Labonq
8 years 2 days ago #22047

DR-052 wrote:

Alpha Bravo wrote: ... silly to declare Sentinels non-canon, to "make room for" Shadow Chronicles...

Never heard that. Who said that? it's part of the series. whoever said that should not be allowed to make decisions. Far as I'm concerned they aren't cannon.

lmgtfy.com/?q=robotech+sentinels+non+canon+shadow+chronicles
8 years 1 day ago #22054

• Peter Young
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Peter Young on topic Disappointed in final episode of 'Macross saga' (SPOILER ALERT)

DR-052 wrote:

robotech.wikia.com/wiki/Continuity_and_C...he_Robotech_Universe

This decision seems to have been controversial among the fanbase from the moment it was declared.
Last edit: 7 years 11 months ago by Peter Young.
8 years 1 day ago #22057

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Peter Young wrote:

DR-052 wrote:

robotech.wikia.com/wiki/Continuity_and_C...he_Robotech_Universe

This decision seems to have been controversial among the fanbase from te moment it was declared.

Also kind of insulting to Carl Macek, is it not?

8 years 1 day ago #22059

Time to create page: 0.482 seconds