Where was the SDF-2 supposed to be?

• Pizza-the-Hutt
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Where was the SDF-2 supposed to be? was created by Pizza-the-Hutt

Well,I know this might have been a old topic that might have died off but I am too lazy right now to scroll back and back til I find it because it has been around 2006 when I saw it at RT.com but I think it will help folks talk (or debate) a new subject that could last long or die quick so let me ask...

Where was the SDF-2 supposed to be?,

Was it script error and easily over looked because it was mainly meant for young kids to teens who would over look and forget?

I heard other weird rumors from comics I never read so maybe I need to re-read my old Robotech comics or wait til someone adds to this thing that made me wonder for so long.

I even took the pole at RT.com and it seemed neat but not info.So those who know more from Robotech comics and books lend a hand because I did not find anything to that subject on my Robotech protoculture dvd collection.

Laters,,I got to enjoy might night off with ice cream and root beer.

I will be nice if you all stay nice,i admit I am ignorant to the SDF-2 blunder

Later
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by Pizza-the-Hutt.
14 years 8 months ago #5460

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Seto-Kaiba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Seto-Kaiba on topic Re:Where was the SDF-2 supposed to be?

Pizza the Hutt wrote:

Where was the SDF-2 supposed to be?,

Was it script error and easily over looked because it was mainly meant for young kids to teens who would over look and forget?

Exactly where the "SDF-2" mentioned in the final episode of Robotech's Macross Saga was located is unclear. All that can safely be said is that it's somewhere in or near Macross City.

The source of the confusion is that the "SDF-2" is not an error on the part of the writers, but rather an intentional departure from the story of the original version (Super Dimension Fortress Macross) which was allegedly made by Carl Macek to explain the three mounds in the Masters Saga (Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross) as being Khyron's ship, the SDF-1, and the SDF-2. The dialogue had to be inconsistent regarding whether the only visible ship was the SDF-1 or SDF-2, because in the original version of the story the SDF-1 was the only ship in the city, and the SDF-2 was being built on the moon.

Pizza the Hutt wrote:

I heard other weird rumors from comics I never read so maybe I need to re-read my old Robotech comics or wait til someone adds to this thing that made me wonder for so long.

In the old Comico Comics adaptation of the Robotech TV series, the writers tried to reconcile the inconsistent dialogue of the TV series with the visuals, by drawing two Macross-class SDFs in the lake, standing back to back. The panel in question from Comico's Robotech #36, published in 1989, can be seen in the Robotech.com FAQs section .
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by Seto-Kaiba.
14 years 8 months ago #5461

• isamu
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Admiral Commander & Chief lol
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by isamu on topic Re:Where was the SDF-2 supposed to be?

I was thinking the other day on were SDF-2 was or looked liked, and it hit me, what "if" the SDF-2 was not the same shape as the SDF-1 but more similar to The other SDF-3 and 4...
and maybe it wasnt as big due to resources? just a theory of mine
if you like my art and would like to see more of my work go to isamu5979.deviantart.com/
you can also go Here www.robotechx.com/index.php?option=com_k...iew&catid=12&id=2025 to see all the Pin-up girls
ROBOTECH AVATARS HERE: www.robotechx.com/forums/2-x-fandom/4266-avatars.html#5619
14 years 7 months ago #5801

• Seto-Kaiba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Seto-Kaiba on topic Re:Where was the SDF-2 supposed to be?

isamu wrote:

I was thinking the other day on were SDF-2 was or looked liked, and it hit me, what "if" the SDF-2 was not the same shape as the SDF-1 but more similar to The other SDF-3 and 4...
and maybe it wasnt as big due to resources? just a theory of mine

I think I can offer some insight into that...

As I and Tommy Yune have pointed out many a time, the main problem with the SDF-2 in Robotech is that it does not actually appear in the animation. The creators of the original Macross series DID create a design for the SDF-2, which was slated to appear in the epilogue at the end of the series (ep #36) but the scenes were cut in the storyboard phase due to time constraints. The scenes were later animated in Macross: Flashback 2012 with an all-new SDF-2 design, and the original SDF-2 design was never used.

The original SDF-2 design created for the Super Dimension Fortress Macross TV series: SDF-2 Megalord . The ship is 1,620m long, 410m longer than the SDF-1.

Currently, the ONLY depiction of Robotech's SDF-2 is in the Comico adapation of the TV series, where the SDF-2 is depicted as a second Macross-class ship, virtually identical to the SDF-1, except white instead of blue.

We can't say what the SDF-3 really looked like, pre-refit, as we never see it without its camouflage armor plates.

I think they're probably somewhat leery about the idea of coming up with designs for the SDF-2 and unarmored SDF-3, and would rather avoid it than spend the extra effort to come up with new designs, like they did when they ducked having to come up with a transformation for the YF-4 in "From the Stars".
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by Seto-Kaiba.
14 years 7 months ago #5804

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback
  • Thank you received: 2

Replied by Last_Valk_Standing on topic Re:Where was the SDF-2 supposed to be?

yes well i'm sure at the office if someone says "New idea" they dissapear.

I'm sure it would take time and effort to go back and edit in an SDF-2 and even if they did such a thing it would meet with massive negative feedback from purist fans.
Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL
Huge fan of Attention On Deck website.

Official Reporter for MNN (Macross News Network LOL)
14 years 7 months ago #5812

• Lancer
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet
  • Robotech Guru Extraordinaire!
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Lancer on topic Re:Where was the SDF-2 supposed to be?

Well...According to the books, the SDF-2 was back to back w/ the SDF-1...The engines of the SDF-1 were going to be used for the SDF-2...which is why in "To the Stars" you see Lisa, and the bridge bunnies running through a corridor into the SDF-1 bcuz it was linked w/ the SDF-2.

That is the best idea and logic I can apply to this question.
"Robotech is God...Robotech is Life"--I said this in the Shadow Chronicles DVD
14 years 7 months ago #5824

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Where was the SDF-2 supposed to be?

AS WELL AS UNDER WATER..

AND TO WHERE KHYRON'S SHIP HIT ON SIDE OF UNDER GROUND BESIDE THE LAKE.

TWO OF MY BEST THEORY'S.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 7 months ago #5827

Time to create page: 0.486 seconds