RIP James P. Hogan - novelist & influence to SDFM!

• MaverickLSC
  • MaverickLSC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 3

RIP James P. Hogan - novelist & influence to SDFM! was created by MaverickLSC

Sad news following the primary influence to Macross and reknowned SF author, check the following links;

www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-07-13...-p-hogan-passes-away

io9.com/5586134/rip-hard-science-fiction-writer-james-p-hogan

Wrote Inherit the Stars, Two Faces of Tomorrow which spawned manga

The SF Site has announced and the Japanese publisher Tokyo Sogensha has confirmed that the science-fiction author James P. Hogan passed away in his home in Ireland on July 12. He was 69.

Hogan was born in London on June 27, 1941, and he made his literary debut with the 1977 novel Inherit the Stars. Tokyo Sogensha translated and published the book in 1980 in Japan, where it became a popular hit among science-fiction readers. His many fans include the members of Studio Nue, who eventually created The Super Dimension Fortress Macross. Besides influencing the themes in several anime, the "Inherit the Stars" name itself (in English and in Japanese as Hoshi o Tsugumono) was directly referenced in such space science-fiction anime as Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, Genesis Climber Mospeada, and Geneshaft. Yukinobu Hoshino (2001 Nights, To) would adapt James P. Hogan's The Two Faces of Tomorrow novel into a manga (pictured at right) in 1993.

During his writing career, Hogan won three Seiun Awards from the Japan Science Fiction Convention and two Prometheus Awards. He attended the 25th Japan Science Fiction Convention (Daicon 5) in Osaka in 1986.

According to SFSite, he was found dead in his home in Ireland, aged 69. He was the winner of three Seiun Awards and two Prometheus Awards. He had a huge following in Japan, where his fans included Super Dimension Fortress Macross creators Studio Nue, and his novel The Two Faces Of Tomorrow was adapted into a manga.

Here is an interview of him in podcast form;

itc.conversationsnetwork.org/shows/detail393.html

May his soul rest in peace. :(
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by MaverickLSC.
13 years 9 months ago #12923

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:RIP James P. Hogan - novelist & influence to SDFM!

MaverickLSC wrote:

Sad news following the primary influence to Macross and reknowned SF author, check the following links;

io9.com/5586134/rip-hard-science-fiction-writer-james-p-hogan

Wrote Inherit the Stars, Two Faces of Tomorrow which spawned manga

The SF Site has announced and the Japanese publisher Tokyo Sogensha has confirmed that the science-fiction author James P. Hogan passed away in his home in Ireland on July 12. He was 69.

Hogan was born in London on June 27, 1941, and he made his literary debut with the 1977 novel Inherit the Stars. Tokyo Sogensha translated and published the book in 1980 in Japan, where it became a popular hit among science-fiction readers. His many fans include the members of Studio Nue, who eventually created The Super Dimension Fortress Macross. Besides influencing the themes in several anime, the "Inherit the Stars" name itself (in English and in Japanese as Hoshi o Tsugumono) was directly referenced in such space science-fiction anime as Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, Genesis Climber Mospeada, and Geneshaft. Yukinobu Hoshino (2001 Nights, To) would adapt James P. Hogan's The Two Faces of Tomorrow novel into a manga (pictured at right) in 1993.

During his writing career, Hogan won three Seiun Awards from the Japan Science Fiction Convention and two Prometheus Awards. He attended the 25th Japan Science Fiction Convention (Daicon 5) in Osaka in 1986.

According to SFSite, he was found dead in his home in Ireland, aged 69. He was the winner of three Seiun Awards and two Prometheus Awards. He had a huge following in Japan, where his fans included Super Dimension Fortress Macross creators Studio Nue, and his novel The Two Faces Of Tomorrow was adapted into a manga.

Here is an interview of him in podcast form;

itc.conversationsnetwork.org/shows/detail393.html

May his soul rest in peace. :(

Sad news...I liked Inherit the Stars, but I never read anything else by him.

And yet...while it's sad and all, where do you get that he was "the primary influence to Macross"? :unsure:
13 years 9 months ago #12924

• Towgrin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Towgrin on topic Re:RIP James P. Hogan - novelist & influence to SDFM!

While it is sad news indeed, wasn't Macross influenced by Gundam? And Gundam may have references to Inherit the Stars, but I don't think that loose correlation works here. I would be weary of saying Macross was primarily influenced by an author just because the creators may have been fans of his work. Unless you have interviews and links to that, but from what I've read from Kawamori and others who were involved in Macross, Gundam was the primary source of inspiration.
13 years 9 months ago #12925

• Lobizon
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • Bounty Hunter! =☠=
  • Thank you received: 4

Replied by Lobizon on topic Re:RIP James P. Hogan - novelist & influence to SDFM!

Its pretty sad he has passed away. :(

from episode #7 " Fallen Hero's Ragtime " Genesis Climber M.O.S.P.E.A.D.A. ( #67 " Paper Hero " Robotech: The New Generation )

RIP James P. Hogan.
13 years 9 months ago #12934

• MaverickLSC
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re:RIP James P. Hogan - novelist & influence to SDFM!

I can see why Shoji Kawamori, Yoshiyuki Tomino and other Japanese anime creators were enamored with Inherit the Stars, so much so as to have most of their stories predominantly be based from such influential science fiction classics.

Another case of myths, fairytales and/or classic novels influencing development of new storytelling.

Classic Arrow Flynn films, Flash Gordan serials and also Akira Kurosawa’s The Hidden Fortress influenced George Lucas in creating Star Wars. Forbidden Planet is another which was the primary inspiration for Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek. And now I think we have to acknowledge the same for the Giant series having influenced Shoji Kawamori and those at Studio Nue in creating the background story to SDF:Macross, which in part also became part of Robotech as well.

One wonders if there would've of been a Macross story or what shape it would've of been if it werent' for the success of James P. Hogan's classic novel Inherit the Stars which we do know became a widespread sci-fi bestseller in Japan.

We do know that Shoji Kawamori and others from Studio Nue were indeed HUGE fans of the 5 books which ended up composing Hogan's complete Giant series.

We can honestly say that without the exceptional writing from James P Hogan and his ilk in producing influential science fiction read by millions the world over, Superdimensional Fortress Macross would have been relegated to the ordinary, rudimentary anime long forgotten and buried in the anals of history.

James P. Hogan was a misunderstood genius whose influence continues to inspire all of us in this day in age. He will surely be missed by his loyal fans.

And not only does his work influenced Macross, but also by association became part of Robotech. And to have James P. Hogan influenced both works gives more credit to both anime properties as true hardcore SF anime with this kind of influence.

And for both Macross and Robotech, that's a good thing. :)

Mav...
13 years 9 months ago #12965

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:RIP James P. Hogan - novelist & influence to SDFM!

MaverickLSC wrote:

blah blah blah...avoiding the question...blah blah blah...baseless suppositions and equally baseless extrapolations from those suppositions...blah blah blah...

Okay, NOW you're just fucking with us. :S
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by Gubaba.
13 years 9 months ago #12966

• Towgrin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Towgrin on topic Re:RIP James P. Hogan - novelist & influence to SDFM!

MaverickLSC wrote:

I can see why Shoji Kawamori, Yoshiyuki Tomino and other Japanese anime creators were enamored with Inherit the Stars, so much so as to have most of their stories predominantly be based from such influential science fiction classics.

Another case of myths, fairytales and/or classic novels influencing development of new storytelling.

Classic Arrow Flynn films, Flash Gordan serials and also Akira Kurosawa’s The Hidden Fortress influenced George Lucas in creating Star Wars. Forbidden Planet is another which was the primary inspiration for Gene Roddenberry's Star Trek. And now I think we have to acknowledge the same for the Giant series having influenced Shoji Kawamori and those at Studio Nue in creating the background story to SDF:Macross, which in part also became part of Robotech as well.

One wonders if there would've of been a Macross story or what shape it would've of been if it werent' for the success of James P. Hogan's classic novel Inherit the Stars which we do know became a widespread sci-fi bestseller in Japan.

We do know that Shoji Kawamori and others from Studio Nue were indeed HUGE fans of the 5 books which ended up composing Hogan's complete Giant series.

We can honestly say that without the exceptional writing from James P Hogan and his ilk in producing influential science fiction read by millions the world over, Superdimensional Fortress Macross would have been relegated to the ordinary, rudimentary anime long forgotten and buried in the anals of history.

James P. Hogan was a misunderstood genius whose influence continues to inspire all of us in this day in age. He will surely be missed by his loyal fans.

And not only does his work influenced Macross, but also by association became part of Robotech. And to have James P. Hogan influenced both works gives more credit to both anime properties as true hardcore SF anime with this kind of influence.

And for both Macross and Robotech, that's a good thing. :)

Mav...

While this could be possible, nowhere have I read that this book influenced Kawamori. Again, if you have a reference to where he mentions what you've said specifically, I'd like to read it, as it would be something that not too many people, if any, are knowledgable of. I know there's the reference in MOSPEADA in which Jim is returning the book to a friend's father, but how does that gravitate into Macross? Your guessing could be somewhat right, but to make assumptions on Studio Nue's and Kawamori's part is pretty ridiculous if there is no such reference material. People have many things that spawn ideas and art, sometimes they do just that, not necessarily help create it.
13 years 9 months ago #12969

• MaverickLSC
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re:RIP James P. Hogan - novelist & influence to SDFM!

Oh brother!!!

Didnt' you guys check the links that I've posted?

Oh well once again here's the link;

Tokyo Sogensha translated and published the book in 1980 in Japan, where it became a popular hit among science-fiction readers. His many fans include the members of Studio Nue, who eventually created The Super Dimension Fortress Macross. Besides influencing the themes in several anime, the "Inherit the Stars" name itself (in English and in Japanese as Hoshi o Tsugumono)

Now check this link;

www.robotech.com/community/forum/read.php?id=1778515&forumid=11

Inherit the Stars. Part one of a 5 part series of classic sci-fi books, by James Hogan.

In the first book, Earth surveys the moon and finds a human skeleton in a space suit. Difference is, this human is 50ft tall! Kinda like Zentraedi. Investigations throughout the book involves finding a spaceship that is 7 miles long in Orbit of Jupiter, and discovering an intergalactic war where the Humans themselves, if I remember exactly, are decedents of refugees that lived on a planet that is now our Asteroid belt. The rest of the series of books, evolve human's perception of Space, other alien worlds and space conflict.

As I said, the book was influential. Shoji Kawamori confessed to reading the novel before he created SDF:Macross, giving you a rise on where Zentraedi came from. Both Southern Cross and Mospeada were just as influenced, especially if you start to read the other 4 novels in the anthology. Not to mention the actual anime are also connected in their own rights from influence, and production. Its more of an uncredited homage to the book. If I remember, I think someone stated that in one of the Macross Episodes or maybe the Macross Movie, in Ricks quarters you see a copy of the same book on a shelf with models of various Valkyrie craft(inc. the real US test craft)

Straight forward really, sigh!

Mav...
13 years 9 months ago #12970

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

MaverickLSC wrote:

Oh brother!!!

Tokyo Sogensha translated and published the book in 1980 in Japan, where it became a popular hit among science-fiction readers. His many fans include the members of Studio Nue, who eventually created The Super Dimension Fortress Macross. Besides influencing the themes in several anime, the "Inherit the Stars" name itself (in English and in Japanese as Hoshi o Tsugumono)

Now check this link;

Inherit the Stars. Part one of a 5 part series of classic sci-fi books, by James Hogan.

In the first book, Earth surveys the moon and finds a human skeleton in a space suit. Difference is, this human is 50ft tall! Kinda like Zentraedi. Investigations throughout the book involves finding a spaceship that is 7 miles long in Orbit of Jupiter, and discovering an intergalactic war where the Humans themselves, if I remember exactly, are decedents of refugees that lived on a planet that is now our Asteroid belt. The rest of the series of books, evolve human's perception of Space, other alien worlds and space conflict.

As I said, the book was influential. Shoji Kawamori confessed to reading the novel before he created SDF:Macross, giving you a rise on where Zentraedi came from. Both Southern Cross and Mospeada were just as influenced, especially if you start to read the other 4 novels in the anthology. Not to mention the actual anime are also connected in their own rights from influence, and production. Its more of an uncredited homage to the book. If I remember, I think someone stated that in one of the Macross Episodes or maybe the Macross Movie, in Ricks quarters you see a copy of the same book on a shelf with models of various Valkyrie craft(inc. the real US test craft)

Mav...

Sigh indeed, Mav.

No one's saying it's not AN important influence on Macross, but "the primary influence"...? As I said, I've only read the first book. Maybe there are pop singers saving the galaxy and transforming robots in the following books, but I kinda doubt it.

If anything, I think Yamato, Gundam, and Seiko Matsuda were more important in the development of Macross.

And let's look at these lines again...

From ANN: "His many fans include the members of Studio Nue, who eventually created The Super Dimension Fortress Macross."

From you: "Sad news following the primary influence to Macross and reknowned SF author"

So...some members of Studio Nue read the book. WHICH members, we don't know. Studio Nue's staff changed a lot during the '70s. But the studio (and possibly (?) the same members) created Macross a few years later. And somehow, that means it's the primary influence...?

And anyway, does it really matter if Shoji Kawamori read the book before he worked on Macross? He designed the Valkyries and he wrote the final episode...he didn't create the show.
Last edit: 13 years 9 months ago by Gubaba.
13 years 9 months ago #12971

• Towgrin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Gubaba wrote:

MaverickLSC wrote:

Oh brother!!!

Now check this link;

Mav...

Sigh indeed, Mav.

No one's saying it's not AN important influence on Macross, but "the primary influence"...? As I said, I've only read the first book. Maybe there are pop singers saving the galaxy and transforming robots in the following books, but I kinda doubt it.

If anything, I think Yamato, Gundam, and Seiko Matsuda were more important in the development of Macross.

And let's look at these lines again...

From ANN: "His many fans include the members of Studio Nue, who eventually created The Super Dimension Fortress Macross."

From you: "Sad news following the primary influence to Macross and reknowned SF author"

So...some members of Studio Nue read the book. WHICH members, we don't know. Studio Nue's staff changed a lot during the '70s. But the studio (and possibly (?) the same members) created Macross a few years later. And somehow, that means it's the primary influence...?

And anyway, does it really matter if Shoji Kawamori read the book before he worked on Macross? He designed the Valkyries and he wrote the final episode...he didn't create the show.

Thank you for helping to clarify where he's been interjecting. In anycase, I'm probably gonna pick up this book again and read it through. Last time I read it was maybe 10 years ago. I didn't get a "this is where Macross came from" vibe from it, but anyways.
13 years 9 months ago #12972

Time to create page: 0.567 seconds