Battle: Los Angeles 2011

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • MEMO1DOMINION's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • Thank you received: 114

Battle: Los Angeles 2011 was created by MEMO1DOMINION

Battle Los Angeles and aliens who trash L.A.!

io9.com/5594126/battle-los-angeles-gave-...-aliens-who-trash-la

warning: spoilers

Aaron Eckhart's new movie Battle: Los Angeles tries combine the realistic urban warfare of Black Hawk Down with the classic alien invasion film. We got our first glimpse at crazy battle footage - including a glimpse of those aliens. Spoilers...

The stars of Battle: L.A., Aaron Eckhart and Michelle Rodriguez, came to Comic Con along with director Jonathan Liebesman and producer Neal Moritz. And they showed a ton of new footage:

The footage opens with a little background on the 1942 Battle of Los Angeles, when anti-aircraft artillery responded to reports of an unknown aircraft. It then switches to a more modern-day Los Angeles, clearly under enemy fire, although the nature of the fire isn't entirely clear. As the military evacuates LA, a Marine platoon is ordered to find a group of survivors and bring them back to the evacuation point. But time is short; the Armed Forces plan to bomb LA in just three hours, hoping to obliterate the invading army. The Marines clearly know little about these invaders, except that they are "not of this world."

As the Marines track down the survivors' signal, they are ambushed. We aren't able to see the enemy, although they don't appear to be much taller than humans. Their alienness is betrayed by their gunfire. Most of this footage looks far more like something out of a Iraq War movie than a science fiction film, but the gunfire resembles something out of a laser gun, as if to remind us that we're dealing with extraterrestrials.

We only get the barest flashes of the alien invaders. We occasionally get a glimpse of something sand-colored, a foot taller than any human they encounter, wearing a round, flat helmet. It is not clear at first whether they are entirely biological, or partially mechanical, but it is very clear that they are soldiers. The only hint we get of the aliens' anatomy is when a group of Marines rip one open, looking for weaknesses. And even then, we only see its chest: tough, stringy tendons that are torn apart.

We get a better look at the alien ships. These are messily mechanical monstrosities, obviously built for function over form. The smaller ships vaguely resemble Serenity from Firefly, but there are also larger ships that more closely resemble flying saucers.

On the panel, Jonathan Liebesman talked about trying to make the aliens feel like a real invading army:

That was one of the challenges we faced in the movie. What I love about James Cameron is that all of his designs are functional - they all look like they could work. [These] aliens have an army, generals, medics, lieutenants. We wanted to make it look like they could work.

And Liebesman talked up the aliens' weird design:

We wanted to do an alien that wasn't an insect or a creature. Ridley Scott in Alien really pioneered these fantastic creatures, and in District 9 we got these great insects. We wanted to do something that was literally alien... They have a hint of biomechanicalness to them.

In a separate press conference about the film, Moritz clarified that the aliens are attacking all across the U.S., but we just see the invasion from the vantage point of one Marine battalion in L.A. This ground-up view of the attack gives a "fresh twist on the genre" of alien invasion.

And Eckhart told the press conference that the destruction of L.A. in the movie is massive and awe-inspiring. There were freeways shut down, with cars littered across them, and bombs going off everywhere. "We shot so many rounds it was insane." He added:

When I met Jonathan for the first time, we sat in a room in L.A., and Jonathan had this beautiful display on his computer. He pulled something up on Youtubem and it was Marines fighting in Fallujah, house to house, and he said, "That's what I want the film to look like." I said, "I'm in." We made an urban combat movie with aliens... They put us in boot camp for three weeks where we ate together, slept together, showered together, called each other names [and] shared rations... Neal and Jonathan really gave us the tools to make it real.

Said Moritz,
"Early on in the process, we were very conscious that we were taking two genres, a war movie and an alien movie, and combining them." Liebesman shot a short demo film that convinced everybody that those two genres could be combined successfully.

Liebesman told the press conference the destruction of L.A. isn't depicted in terms of landmarks — the aliens aren't using "Wikipedia Travel" to look for monuments to wipe out, like the Hollywood sign. They're looking to wreck the city as a city.

Rodriguez revealed at the press conference that her character wasn't in the script until right before filming — Moritz had promised to put her in another movie if he killed her off in Resident Evil 4. And they needed someone to provide intelligence, so her character, a geeky tech sergeant, was added. Rodriguez is less of a fighter and more of an intel person in this movie — but she does kick ass "in a cool, geeky way," she adds.

So why are the aliens coming to Earth in the first place? Liebesman explains: "Earth is 70 percent water. The aliens in our movie use water for many different things, so they are here for those natural resources."
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
13 years 7 months ago #13333

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Battle: Los Angeles 2011

ALIENS WEARING ARMOR AND 10FT TALL

SPOILER COMMENT:
I was a Featured Xtra in this film, Michael AVmen Imdb me... Michelle was airforce, Aaron was a Marine, and the Other person is Ramon Rodriguez, Transformers 2. He plays Leo spitz, his Character is Lt Martinez .. I was His Stand in, and I also Played a LAPD ... 100 percent Filmed in Louisiana, the Cloud is the Space ship Crashing to earth.. The ALIENS are AWSOME>. Cant say to much.. But they have a Claw and a Weapon
Last edit: 13 years 7 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
13 years 7 months ago #13334

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

NEW TRAILER.....

NOW THIS LOOKS PROMISING.

13 years 4 months ago #13986

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re:Battle: Los Angeles 2011

Looks like Skyline, only from the military pov.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
13 years 4 months ago #13988

• Towgrin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Towgrin on topic Re:Battle: Los Angeles 2011

On the preview, at 1:48, is a less than one second glimpse of one of the aliens coming out of the ground. This must be Robotech!!! LOL, not. It looks pretty promising, hopefully more previews to come that don't give away the specific plot points (although it doesn't seem like a huge leap to figure it out already).
13 years 4 months ago #13989

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

I DID NOT SEE SKYLINE. HOW WAS IT?

BUT THIS I WILL SEE. THE STREET FIGHTING LOOKS REAL ENOUGH WITH THE GUN FIGHTING AND ALL.

Towgrin

This must be Robotech!!! LOL

HAHAHAH

YEAH, THIS I THOUGHT WOULD BE A NICE MACROSS START WITH AN INVASION TO RETRIEVE THE SDF-1.

BUT MECHA WOULD BE NICE TO ADD.
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
13 years 4 months ago #13996

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re:Battle: Los Angeles 2011

It all seems pretty clear to me. Robotech LAM will be a tentpole franchise, right? That means multiple movies. Obviously, Earth Defense Force is a codename for Robotech I, Battle: Los Angeles is Robotech II, and Transformers 3 is really Robotech III. Expect the next three movies in the saga to all arrive in 2012.
13 years 4 months ago #13998

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re:Battle: Los Angeles 2011

^ :laugh:

I was disappointed by Skyline. Curious what was going to happen to the main characters and some interesting visuals but the movie tended to be dull.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
13 years 4 months ago #14003

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

rtsurfer wrote:

^ :laugh:

I was disappointed by Skyline. Curious what was going to happen to the main characters and some interesting visuals but the movie tended to be dull.

THAT BAD HUH? WILL JUST WAIT ON RENTAL THEN.
13 years 4 months ago #14019

• Towgrin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Towgrin on topic Re:Battle: Los Angeles 2011

Yeah, Memo, it's a rental. I saw it and wasn't all that thrilled with it. It was a slightly better than made for t.v. movie. I hope this doesn't follow that suit.
13 years 4 months ago #14032

Time to create page: 0.386 seconds