Star Wars: Luke, The Wampa, and The Force

• Mark-Warlock
  • Mark-Warlock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer
  • Thank you received: 0

Star Wars: Luke, The Wampa, and The Force was created by Mark-Warlock

Ok so I was watching Empire Strikes Back today and something caught my attention and I don't know if it's been discussed before by anyone..

So as we all know, Luke is on Hoth riding his Tauntaun and gets blindsided by the Wampa... He's taken to the Wampa's cave where he is hung from the ceiling. Luke wakes to see the Wampa munching on, what we can assume is, Luke's Tauntaun.

The Wampa seems uninterested in Luke at that point.. Luke looks around and sees his light saber sticking out of the snow. He attempts to reach it, with no luck, and in spite of all his movement has still not drawn the attention of the Wampa. Then Luke attempts to use the Force. His first attempt fails, but as he calms his mind and concentrates he is able to retrieve his light saber and set himself free.

Now... here's what caught my attention. It isn't until Luke fully uses the force and just before the light saber flies to Luke's hand that the Wampa turns to Luke.

So... it makes me wonder... Did the Wampa have "The Force"? Could he sense Luke's use of the Force?

Now I'm not saying that the Wampa had full knowledge or that it could even us the force... but... COULD that Wampa have been sensitive to "The Force" similar to the Jedi or Sith?

Now I base this question solely on the movie. All outside sources do not play in this discussion.

So... What are your thoughts?
A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am I or are the others crazy? - Albert Einstein

Find Mark Warlock now on Facebook.
12 years 9 months ago #17194

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re: Star Wars: Luke, The Wampa, and The Force

I thought it was because the Wampa heard the lightsaber sliding out of the snowpack.
12 years 9 months ago #17205

• Mark-Warlock
  • Mark-Warlock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer

Replied by Mark-Warlock on topic Re: Star Wars: Luke, The Wampa, and The Force

Brooklyn Red Leg wrote:

I thought it was because the Wampa heard the lightsaber sliding out of the snowpack.

No.. it's pretty cool... go back and rewatch that scene.. The Wampa actually responds before the light saber ever leaves the snow... and it never responds to any of Luke's actual movements until after Luke starts using the force.
A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am I or are the others crazy? - Albert Einstein

Find Mark Warlock now on Facebook.
12 years 9 months ago #17209

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: Star Wars: Luke, The Wampa, and The Force

HAHAHA

THAT AIN'T NOTHING. FIGURE OUT WHY HAN SOLO CAN SPARK THE LIGHSABER AS A NON JEDI. I THINK HE IS THE ONLY NON-JEDI TO DO IT IN ALL 3 MOVIES. AND ALMOST RIGHT AFTER THE SCENE YOU TALKED ABOUT.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
12 years 9 months ago #17214

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re: Star Wars: Luke, The Wampa, and The Force

Umm, there is also General Grievous in the new ones. And that's easy since a Lightsaber is a mundane weapon (its purely technology based).
12 years 9 months ago #17215

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: Star Wars: Luke, The Wampa, and The Force

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

HAHAHA

THAT AIN'T NOTHING. FIGURE OUT WHY HAN SOLO CAN SPARK THE LIGHSABER AS A NON JEDI. I THINK HE IS THE ONLY NON-JEDI TO DO IT IN ALL 3 MOVIES. AND ALMOST RIGHT AFTER THE SCENE YOU TALKED ABOUT.

Sorry, Memo, but your Star Wars credibility is dribbling away...

Anyone can use a lightsaber... but only a Jedi can use it WELL.
12 years 9 months ago #17216

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Okay, I went back to watch the scene again and Luke DOES make noise. Its there and its perceptible. The wampa couldn't be stone deaf and its ear canal is probably LARGER than a regular human's. No idea if their hearing is AS sensitive, but it might be.

12 years 9 months ago #17218

YEAH, NOISE IS COMING FROM THE SABER LOOSING UP.
12 years 9 months ago #17220

Gubaba wrote:

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

HAHAHA

Sorry, Memo, but your Star Wars credibility is dribbling away...

Anyone can use a lightsaber... but only a Jedi can use it WELL.

THAT'S THE THING. YOU ONLY SEE JEDI USE IT. OTHER THAN HAN SOLO.

Brooklyn Red Leg wrote:

Umm, there is also General Grievous in the new ones. And that's easy since a Lightsaber is a mundane weapon (its purely technology based).

NOW WE GETTING AWAY FROM THE MOVIES...

THE GENERAL WAS ONCE FLESH AND BLOOD. MAYBE WITH JEDI POWERS BUT NOT KNOWING HOW TO USE IT AND I WOULD USE LEA AS AN EXAMPLE. WAS NOT TILL COUNT DOOKO TOUGH HIM THE WAYS OF THE SABER.
Last edit: 12 years 9 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
12 years 9 months ago #17221

Time to create page: 0.443 seconds