CASSHAN:Robot Hunter

• Thank you received: 0

CASSHAN:Robot Hunter was created by tuxy

Another one of Carl Macek's works I'm a huge fan of besides Robotech, Vampire Hunter D & The Dirty Pair is this 1995 OVA (japanese release date was '93) based on Tatsuo Yoshida's classic 70's anime Neo Cyborg Casshan. I'm very VERY sickened that this has been eclipsed by the extremely overrated Casshern Sins, which doesn't use Yoshida-san's original story or setting from the first two adaptations, and instead uses a whole new messed up and overrated and depressing storyline where Casshan (not calling him Casshern, I refuse) is some anti-hero who's been a cyborg the whole time (and he was a human turned into a cyborg in the previous two versions) who worked for Black King (his nemesis in the previous two versions) and supposedly killed Luna (his love interest in the previous two versions who is now suddenly the main villian), and everybody wants him dead. You've gotta be kidding me. Tatsuo Yoshida must be spinning in his grave like a whirlwind. Luckily, I'm not the only one who despises Casshern Sins. But I digress. This thread is about Casshan:Robot Hunter, which is much more faithful to Yoshida-san's original 1970s series than that overrated, depressing pile of ****. Like Ken The Eagle, Joe The Condor, Jun The Swan and Hurricane Polimer, I became a fan of Casshan through Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. At first, I thought he was "kinda" cool, but didn't really have enough interest to become a big fan, but when I found out there was a Casshan OVA that Carl Macek directed the english version of, I was sold instantly. The character designs are by Yasuomi Umetsu, who also did the character designs for the 1994 OVA remake of Gatchaman (another of Tatsuo Yoshida's works). Casshan is played by Steve Bulen, who was also Greco in Vampire Hunter D, and the main character in Eightman After (two of Carl Macek's other dubs), and I believe he was also in RT, but I don't remember who he played. Edie Mirman plays Luna, Melanie MacQueen plays Tetsuya's mother (Tetsuya was Casshan's name before he was turned into Casshan), Jeff Winkless plays Black King, and there are also appearances by other well known Streamline regulars such as Kerrigan Mahan (Sean Phillips), Mike Reynolds (Dolza), Eddie Frierson (Lynn Kyle), and it's narrated by Alexandra Kenworthy (Azonia). I really love Steve Bulen's performance as Casshan (did a much better job than Eric Vale did in Casshern Sins), and Jeff Winkless, God rest his soul, was like a perfect voice actor to play a villian. He also plays Count Magnus Lee in Vampire Hunter D and the chief in The Dirty Pair (who's a protagonist, and not an antagonist), and his voice for Black King was so sinister. It fit like a glove. The anime was released in two different forms:A full length feature film, and a 4 part OVA. The scene where Casshan and Luna kiss is perhaps one of the best kiss scenes in the history of anime (was kinda sexy too), which is in Part 4 of the OVA edition:

And here's a couple of AMVs (MOST OF THESE CONTAIN SPOILERS!):

Last edit: 11 years 2 months ago by tuxy.
11 years 2 months ago #20165

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds