G.I.Joe Trailer

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by sanman on topic Re:G.I.Joe Trailer

Preview of an action scene from GI JOE: Rise of Cobra

Here's the 1st part (it's in french):

Here's the 2nd part (in english)

That was actually some pretty hot action, imho.
Pretty over-the-top, and much better than anything that was in Transformers.

I liked Ray Park's Snake Eyes and how he doesn't need power armor, as well as Scarlett on her motorbike. You get a shot of her using her crossbow, too.
14 years 9 months ago #4663

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Here's yet another clip:

Well, I was rather leery about the acceleration suits at first, as they seemed like sort of a ripoff of Iron Man, but now that I see the action scenes, they do seem to be a setup for some cool over-the-top Matrix-style action.

I liked those action scenes, and I hope we get to see more of that kind of stuff in the film. I wish the Transformers movies would have had better action in them than they did.

If the Robotech live-action movies ever get to the point of showing the Invid Saga, I'd hope that we'll see some cool scenes of the Cyclone armor in action, not to mention some battloids curb-stomping Invid.
14 years 9 months ago #4681

• Seto-Kaiba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Seto-Kaiba on topic Re:G.I.Joe Trailer

I know that the producers of the G.I. Joe movie want me to get excited about re-experiencing part of my youth... but I just can't bring myself to get excited about it. It's not like the cartoon was ever particularly deep or stimulating, it was flashing lights and explosions as a vehicle to sell toys. That, like Transformers, it's being turned into a bog-standard action movie really does not interest me in the slightest... but then again as a kid I was spoiled by more sophisticated storytelling.

The whole "accelerator suit" business just seems like they want to try and maybe cash in on the Halo racket and make for some more epic stunts.

I may just be being one of those snooty "movies are art" types, but I just don't think special effects and action sequences should be what carries a movie. It should be the story and the characters.
Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by Seto-Kaiba.
14 years 9 months ago #4683

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:G.I.Joe Trailer

Seto Kaiba wrote:

I may just be being one of those snooty "movies are art" types, but I just don't think special effects and action sequences should be what carries a movie. It should be the story and the characters.

This!

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
14 years 9 months ago #4688

Well, one thing's for sure, they sure made a hash out Transformers. I really did NOT need to see John Turturro's buttcheeks. Devastator being shown as a big beast complete with testicles was pretty cheesy.

But the worst thing of all about Transformers, was that there was not enough screentime for the Autobots and Decepticons themselves, and too much screentime for Shia LeBoeuf. Basically, they should've called the movie "Shia and His Robot Pals"
14 years 9 months ago #4689

I rather liked Sunbow's animation, whether for GI Joe, Dungeons & Dragons, or Spiderman & His Amazing Friends.

This is actually one of my favorite scenes from the original show, showing some badass action with Snake Eyes (2:08)

Last edit: 14 years 9 months ago by sanman.
14 years 9 months ago #4690

Replied by Troubleman245 on topic Re:G.I.Joe Trailer

Actually, Toei Doga productions animated those Sunbow/Marvel cartoons.
14 years 9 months ago #4691

It's well known that the Sunbow brand always used foreign-sourced animation, and you could always see the names of the main animation staff in the credits.
14 years 9 months ago #4714

Replied by HashiNoUsagi on topic Re:G.I.Joe Trailer

Seto Kaiba wrote:

I know that the producers of the G.I. Joe movie want me to get excited about re-experiencing part of my youth... but I just can't bring myself to get excited about it. It's not like the cartoon was ever particularly deep or stimulating, it was flashing lights and explosions as a vehicle to sell toys. That, like Transformers, it's being turned into a bog-standard action movie really does not interest me in the slightest... but then again as a kid I was spoiled by more sophisticated storytelling.

I never watched G.I. Joe or Transformers when I was little. I found them very boring and not stimulating to me. I went to see the Transformers movie because it looked like it would be more interesting than the series. Unfortunately I was wrong. G.I. Joe is just an insanely impossible action flick. I don't expect some great story or characters out of it, but maybe I'll be surprised. The art of action, special effects, and camerawork is what really attracts me. There was a time in my life when I used to take martial arts and wanted to become a stunt person. So I take an interest in watching over the top action scenes. It also is a great stimulation for any of my own stories.
Hasn't done anything stupid enough to get banned from any forum.....yet.
14 years 9 months ago #4837

I prefer this type of over-the-top action to stuff like the Matrix movies, or the Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon stuff. The Matrix stuff kind of ruins it because they openly admit it's a CG world. Crouching Tiger ruins it by having horrible flying on wires, which look ridiculous and not cool.

But I liked that GI Joe action scene because the over-the-top stuff was nicely intertwined with more conventional cool action. It looked rather nice to me. I didn't like SnakeEyes having some kind of molded mouth, though. They also make Scarlett look like some kind of bookish nerd-queen:

www.movieweb.com/news/NEIXFNJIqACZNL

The least they could have done was have her say, "and knowing is half the battle!"
(Apparently Dennis Quaid gets that line, as General Hawk)
14 years 9 months ago #4841

Time to create page: 0.521 seconds