G.I.Joe Trailer

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by sanman on topic Re:G.I.Joe Trailer

Just came back from GI Joe, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The movie was fast-paced with action scenes that were over the top, and they had mega special fx in it. Quite the big budget spectacle.

There were of course some of the usual Hollywoodisms, with stupid and annoying clichés, but they did manage to put some interesting twists in there too.

It was certainly better than both of the Transformers movies, and so if you paid to see them, you can do worse than pay to see this. Sure, it's not high-minded art, but it's pretty good as a mindless summer blockbuster spectacle.
14 years 9 months ago #5188

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Seto-Kaiba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Seto-Kaiba on topic Re:G.I.Joe Trailer

sanman wrote:

Just came back from GI Joe, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. The movie was fast-paced with action scenes that were over the top, and they had mega special fx in it. Quite the big budget spectacle.

There were of course some of the usual Hollywoodisms, with stupid and annoying clichés, but they did manage to put some interesting twists in there too.

It was certainly better than both of the Transformers movies, and so if you paid to see them, you can do worse than pay to see this. Sure, it's not high-minded art, but it's pretty good as a mindless summer blockbuster spectacle.

For once, we agree. I just got back from seeing it, and that was pretty much my assessment of it too. Some excellent CG action stuff, but kinda light on plot (though one could say they're just being true to the original source materials there).
14 years 9 months ago #5192

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:G.I.Joe Trailer

Hmm.

I am eventually going to watch G.I. Joe. It just doesn't "feel" the same and has that re-imagined feel that most super hero films have.

I'd call this the X-MEN effect. With the new leathery-dark suits. I understand that we can't have outdated costumes and its pretty much a fanboy's cry. But its just not the same for me.

The only movie that seemed true to its origins for me was SPIDERMAN. I know that this is the same thing that is going to happen to ROBOTECH, I just have to learn to deal with it.

But yeah, will eventually watch G.I. Joe.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
14 years 9 months ago #5193

Well, I suppose you eventually just have to accept that Hollywood has some of its own imperatives in moviemaking, such as catering to the penchants of its stars, directors, etc, and whatever constraints these impose.

Anyway, it looks like the movie is having a decent opening, and the movie's ending does set up a further sequel. Since the success of the first Transformers movie then led to the sequel being made with a bigger budget, likewise it'll likely be the same case for the sequel to GI Joe: Rise of Cobra.

This leads me to wonder what other big properties Hollywood could mine for $$$?

M.A.S.K.?
Thundercats?
He-Man?

What else?
14 years 9 months ago #5195

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:G.I.Joe Trailer

M.A.S.K.?
Thundercats?
He-Man?

What else?

M.A.S.K. NOW THATS A MOVIE I WOULD LIKE TO SEE.

THUNDERCATS BEEN IN PRODUCTION FOR AT LEAST 4 YEARS....

HE-MAN? THERE ALREADY LIKE A MOVIE OUT THERE.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 9 months ago #5199

Here's the extended MASK theme song, btw. I wish some amateur vid-maker would make a full AMV to go with the whole extended theme:

Yeah, I would love to see MASK turned into a movie, and based on the earnings from GI Joe and Transformers movies, not to mention the follow-on toy and merchandise sales, I'm sure MASK would be the mighty power to save the day.
Last edit: 14 years 8 months ago by sanman.
14 years 8 months ago #5314

Replied by sanman on topic Ballad of G.I.Joe

Btw, have any of you seen the Ballad of GI Joe?

www.toplessrobot.com/2009/08/the_ballad_...break_your_heart.php

Look at the all-star cast! Goes to show how well-known the GI Joe brand is. Pretty good selection, especially Scarlett, Duke and even Zartan!
14 years 8 months ago #5316

Replied by HashiNoUsagi on topic Re:Ballad of G.I.Joe

I saw the movie last week. The movie was great until the last 30 minutes. Compared to Transformers, where the only good part was the last 30 minutes, I would say that GI Joe was a much better movie. At least IMHO. The best fight scene was between kids, which is sad. There were other good fights, but most of them were too short.

I will get the movie on Blu Ray when it comes out. Once it hits a certain point instead of watching the movie I will act it out with GI Joe figures.
Hasn't done anything stupid enough to get banned from any forum.....yet.
14 years 8 months ago #5432

Time to create page: 0.361 seconds