JRR Tolkien

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • Last_Valk_Standing's Avatar Topic Author
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback
  • Thank you received: 2

JRR Tolkien was created by Last_Valk_Standing

OK I AM COMPLETLY NERDING OUT RIGHT NOW AND I'M PROLLY THE LAST TO KNOW OR THE ONLY ONE TO CARE AND YES I'M BORROWING MEMO'S ALL CAPS FOR THIS ONE.

- Academy Award-winning filmmaker Peter Jackson; Harry Sloan, Chairman and CEO, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM); Bob Shaye and Michael Lynne, Co-Chairmen and Co-CEOs of New Line Cinema have jointly announced that they have entered into the following series of agreements:

J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Hobbit" is back on track and headed to the big screen.

New Line (now Warner Bros.) and Peter Jackson have resolved their differences over the filmmaker's profit participation in the $3 billion-grossing Lord of the Rings trilogy, paving the way for a two-film adaptation of Tolkien's children's masterpiece, "The Hobbit."

Warner Bros. and MGM, which holds "The Hobbit" feature rights, have pacted to co-finance and co-distribute the movies, with Warner Bros. handling North American and MGM international distribution.

Because of his packed schedule that includes The Lovely Bones and "Tintin," Jackson is not directing or writing the movies, but will executive produce with partner Fran Walsh. Warner Bros. will manage production.

Peter Jackson decided not to take on writing and directing roles because with his other commitments, he figured that he would not be able to complete "The Hobbit" films until around 2015. Jackson didn't want to keep "The Hobbit" fan base waiting that long, and Warner Bros. and MGM knew that if they moved ahead on the project without Jackson's involvement, they risked alienating fans. As executive producer, Jackson will have approval over creative elements of both films.

Preproduction for "The Hobbit" movies began January 1, 2008 and principal photography for "The Hobbit" films, which will be shot simultaneously, is tentatively set for late 2008. The production budget is estimated at $150 million per "Hobbit" film. The release of the first "The Hobbit" movie is slated for 2011 and "The Hobbit" movie sequel in 2012.

Guillermo DelToro will be living in New Zealand for the four years it takes to make both "The Hobbit" movies.

The Oscar-winning, critically-acclaimed LOTR Trilogy grossed nearly $3 billion worldwide at the box-office. In 2003, "Return of the King" swept the Academy Awards, winning all of the eleven categories in which it was nominated, including Best Picture – the first ever Best Picture win for a fantasy film. The Trilogy's production was also unprecedented at the time.

"The Hobbit Movies"will be based on JRR Tolkien's The Hobbit book, which is the story of Bilbo Baggins, who is seen in Lord Of The Rings trilogy. "The Hobbit" follows Bilbo as he first encounters Gandalf. He is somewhat unwillingly swept off on an adventure to the lonely mountain to rid it of the dragon, Smaug. The dragon is guarding a treasure of enormous value that he had firstly taken from the dwarfs who once lived there. A major battle shortly, ensues.

STARRING: Ian Holm
DIRECTOR: Guillermo Del Toro
STUDIO: Warner Bros.
RATING: PG-13 (For fantasy violence)
THEATER COUNT (Opening Weekend): TBD
RUNNING TIME: 3 hours, 45 minutes
TOTAL DOMESTIC BOX OFFICE: TBD
U.S. DVD RELEASE DATE: TBD

Experts taken from www.wildaboutmovies.com/images_5/TheHobb...ler-PeterJackson.php

OK I'M MAD EXCITED RIGHT NOW!!!!
Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL
Huge fan of Attention On Deck website.

Official Reporter for MNN (Macross News Network LOL)
15 years 2 days ago #3864

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Viper
  • Sentinal
  • Sentinal
  • Destroid Tomahawk Aficianado
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Viper on topic Re:JRR Tolkien

Well, after readin this, I have but one response...

Oh, HELL YEAH!!!

LVS, I gotta admit, when I originally read your post, I was screaming at my monitor when I read the news that Peter Jackson wasn't directing. I thought "What kinda hack are they gonna get?!?"

Well, it's Guillermo DelToro, Director of another of my favorite series... "Hellboy"!!!

Mad excited? Naw... that doesn't even begin to cover it...

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Wrongfully Banned by MEMO1DOMINION on Robotech.com!

www.destroidslastdance.com
15 years 2 days ago #3867

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:JRR Tolkien

W00t! This is awesome news :D

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
15 years 2 days ago #3869

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback

Replied by Last_Valk_Standing on topic Re:JRR Tolkien

Viper wrote:

Well, after readin this, I have but one response...

Oh, HELL YEAH!!!

LVS, I gotta admit, when I originally read your post, I was screaming at my monitor when I read the news that Peter Jackson wasn't directing. I thought "What kinda hack are they gonna get?!?"

Well, it's Guillermo DelToro, Director of another of my favorite series... "Hellboy"!!!

Mad excited? Naw... that doesn't even begin to cover it...

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Yeah i had the same reaction at first. But not only is the new director a good pick, Peter is still gonna be the Producer. So he has full creative control over the story still :D
Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL

15 years 1 day ago #3874

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

so no news on who's going to be cast as Bilbo Baggins?

I've heard that the actor Warwick Davis wants the role, for those who aren't familiar with him hes played Willow in the movie Willow and the evil leprechaun in the leprechaun series.

14 years 11 months ago #3927

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback

As they want it to flow into the LOTR I would venture a guess that they will have the same actor to play Bilbo. Remember although it was short they did show him for one moment in the Riddles in the Dark sequence.

Member of AkL

14 years 11 months ago #3929

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master

Last_Valk_Standing wrote:

As they want it to flow into the LOTR I would venture a guess that they will have the same actor to play Bilbo. Remember although it was short they did show him for one moment in the Riddles in the Dark sequence.

yes but isn't Bilbo younger in the hobbit?
at least that's what I thought

no wait i'm right he Is younger, my boyfriend just confirmed it
so if they brought back the same actor it wouldnt make sense, because hes too old to play a younger Bilbo.

Last edit: 14 years 11 months ago by LadyGrimes.
14 years 11 months ago #3932

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback

Yes you are correct as a matter of fact he was about 60 years younger during the Hobbit. But In Lord of the Rings they did have the same actor play a scene from the Hobbit when Bilbo finds the ring in Gollems cabve in the Goblins mountain. They did his makeup to look younger.

Also remmeber in Star Wars The man who played the emperor in the original films was made to look older. Then when they did the New films they had to make the Same Actor who is now OLD look Younger again. It's really funny when you think about it but fact is Hollywood can do it just fine.

So i doubt the man who played Bilbo (and in 5th element, and Day After Tomorrow) would have trouble playing a younger Bilbo as he already did so once. Remember Hobbits never really look like we do when they are younger either. They always have baggier skin LMAO! so he is coverd :D :silly:

Member of AkL

14 years 11 months ago #3951

Time to create page: 0.515 seconds