Sentou Yousei YUKIKAZE

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • MEMO1DOMINION's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • Thank you received: 114

Sentou Yousei YUKIKAZE was created by MEMO1DOMINION

ANOTHER GOOD SERIES THAT I ENJOY

Plot Summary: Thirty-three years ago, an alien force known as the "JAM" invaded Earth through a dimensional portal over Antarctica. Earth's forces managed to drive the JAM away to a distant planet designated as "Fairy." While majority of Earth's population is unaware of the JAM's presence, the war continues on Fairy. Sentou Yousei Yukikaze chronicles the life of Rei Fukai, an SAF (Special Air Force) pilot assigned to pilot "Yukikaze" - an advanced reconnaisance fighter plane equipped with a near-sentient A.I. that detects the presence of the JAM within its path.

HERE IS A CLIP AND NOTICE HOW IT SHOWS OFF IN LANDING AND TAKE OFF AT THE END
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
14 years 7 months ago #6690

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:YUKIKAZE

ALSO FOR THOSE THAT KNOW THE SERIES A FRIEND OF MINE JUST INFORMED ME THAT THERE WILL BE A NOVEL OUT SOON.

EXCERPTS

Yukikaze flew towards Faery Base, cruising at an altitude of 98,000 feet at supersonic speed. It flew alone.
Second Lieutenant Rei Fukai looked out of the cockpit at the dark blue sky spread out around him. Night was coming on and he could see the first stars. Below him, the planet Faery was ablaze with twilight colors. Soon it would match the color of the sky. Faery’s binary suns glowed crimson above the horizon, their mutual gravitational attraction pulling them into flattened elliptical shapes. A jet of dark red gas could clearly be seen spouting out of one of them. It arced up to the sky’s zenith, looking for all the world like the Milky Way, but instead of a pearly white it was a red suggestive of the color of blood. This enormous whirlpool of erupting gas formed what looked like a bloodstained path, and so it had been named the “Bloody Road.”
Rei set the cockpit illumination to its lowest level and lifted his gaze from the instrumentation. Nothing was out of the ordinary. It was quiet. He thought back to the battle just fought by the 666th TFS.
“Delta 4, engage. Break right. Right. Starboard.”
“This is Delta 4, I can’t see them.”
“They’ve spiked you! Look out!”
“Where’s the JAM?! I can’t see it on my radar!”
Delta 4 had broken into a hard-right diving turn but couldn’t shake the JAM fighter.
A pilot who couldn’t control his plane perfectly was a dead man. To Rei, that was the natural order of things. Emotions had no place in battle. A fighter plane feels nothing, and a pilot is a part of the plane. Therefore, a pilot who couldn’t set aside his emotions and become one with his plane was no warrior. And with someone like that piloting it, even a high-performance fighter would be no match for the enemy. And then that fighter would be–

Yukikaze’s wide-area radar warning receiver chimed an alert.
“What’s up?” Rei asked his backseater, the electronic warfare officer. “Verify that.”
“Not sure,” the other man replied. “The passive warning system’s activated, but I can’t track the location. It could be a bogey.”
“A bogey?” asked Rei. “Then… It’s gotta be a JAM. Find it.” Saying that, he switched on the fire control system and set the radar to long-range, moving target auto-search mode. The target was entering radar range.
“Target sighted,” the EWO called out. “It’s small. A fighter. Pretty fast. Speed is two-point-nine and he’s nose-on. We should merge in approximately two minutes.” Rei checked the moving target indicator. Was the other craft a hostile? A friendly? But the MTI’s display simply showed it as “unknown.”
“What is it?” Rei asked.
“Negative on the IFF.” If there was no response on the Identification, Friend or Foe system, then…
“It’s a hostile,” said Rei.
He entered the unknown craft into his tactical computer as an enemy. The system automatically adjusted the radar search pattern, frequency, power output, and pulse width to their optimal efficiency and tracked the target.
“Hey, Boss?” said the EWO. “We should confirm this first. It might be a friendly. Maybe their IFF’s off-line. I doubt any JAM would be flying around here.” The unknown plane was closing fast, its course unwavering, on a straight line for Yukikaze. Like a giant bullet, thought Rei.
“Lieutenant, take evasive action.”
In response to the rapidly approaching target, the tactical computer switched the radar mode to super search and automatically locked on to the target.
“Okay, let’s reconfirm this. What is that thing? Contact them on the emergency channel.”
“I’m trying, but there’s no response. Looks like their communications equipment is out.”
Yukikaze turned ninety degrees and dived. The unknown plane climbed rapidly, opening from them. However, Rei could still easily track it: Yukikaze was equipped with a powerful, omni-directional pulse Doppler radar that could accurately detect the target and display its location, velocity, and acceleration data on the MTI.
The target banked steeply and began to dive toward Yukikaze at high speed.
“He’s a hostile,” said Rei. “I’m engaging.”
“It’s not a JAM!”
“How do you know that?”
As Yukikaze pulled a sudden high-G evasive turn, from his seat in the rear the EWO caught sight of the unknown craft nipping at their heels. It was about half a mile away, a large fighter plane glittering in the light of the setting suns. Via the digital camera in their tactical reconnaissance pod he could make out the distinctive sharply pointed, twin vertical stabilizers on its back.
“You see that, Lt. Fukai?” he called out over the com. “That’s a Sylph. A Sylphid.”
“A Sylph? Who’s it attached to?”
“Unknown.”
Rei loosened his turn radius and craned his neck back to look in the direction his partner indicated. The other craft was closing on them. It was definitely the same model of plane as Yukikaze. It was now initiating a high-G turn to try and come around to their twelve o’clock. Rei rechecked the IFF. “Unknown” was Yukikaze’s reply. Then, detecting the waves of enemy targeting radar, it signaled that the unknown plane was preparing to attack. Rei set the master arm switch to ARM. The stores control panel displayed his onboard armaments. RDY GUN, RDY AAM III-4. Their antiaircraft gun and four short-range air-to-air missiles. He had no long-range missiles to fire.
“I’m shooting it down,” said Rei as he hit the dogfight switch.

Comes out in Jan!

Last edit: 14 years 7 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
14 years 7 months ago #6691

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:YUKIKAZE

www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-03-15...-listed-by-amazon.ca

The Canadian version of the Amazon online retailer is listing a Yukikaze book release by Chohei Kanbayashi from Viz Media. The listing for the 416-page book has a release date of January 19, 2010. Amazon's listings do not necessarily indicate definite release plans or dates, and listings that first appear on the Canadian site will not necessarily be limited to Canada only.

In Kanbayashi's story, the elite Special Air Force wages a secret war against aliens that unsuccessfully invaded Earth through a dimensional portal 33 years ago. Second Lieutenant Rei Fukai flies lonely yet danger-fraught reconnaissance missions over the aliens' home planet with his wingmate, the sentient Sylphid fighter.

Kanbayashi wrote two Yukikaze novels: 1984's original Sentō Yōsei Yukikaze novel and 1999's Good Luck Sentō Yōsei Yukikaze. Kanbayashi revised part of his original novel to flow better with its followup, and Hayakawa Publishing released the revised version under the name Sentō Yōsei Yukikaze Kai in 2002. The attendees of the Japan Science Fiction Convention gave Seiun Awards to both novels. The novels also inspired the video anime series of the same name from the Gonzo anime studio. Bandai Entertainment released the anime on DVD in North America from 2004 to 2006, and the related Honneamise label released the entire series on Blu-ray Disc last year.
14 years 7 months ago #6692

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re: Sentou Yousei YUKIKAZE

Only in fiction eh? If the US could develop such a Joint Strike Fighter it would be versatile enough for all departments.

This looks interesting, smells a little like Macross rip-off. Should I say a more realistic Macross?

But of course will have to give it, its own right in the future sometime.

Looks good though.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
14 years 6 months ago #6717

• Seto-Kaiba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Seto-Kaiba on topic Re: Sentou Yousei YUKIKAZE

SIGHUP wrote:

This looks interesting, smells a little like Macross rip-off. Should I say a more realistic Macross?

No to both, Yukikaze really is nothing at all like Macross. The show is aggressively short, with a few impressive dogfight sequences broken up with lots of slow, vaguely depressing dialogue, very little of which advances the actual plot. A lot of the material from the novels got cut, and they chose to focus on the vaguely psychological character moments rather than the war itself. They never get to the enemy's motivations, or any of the other fairly important stuff about the war.

It doesn't help much that the show's dialogue is liberally peppered with military terminology that they didn't feel warranted explanation in subtitle form, so instead the DVDs have fairly large glossaries attached.
14 years 6 months ago #6729

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re: Sentou Yousei YUKIKAZE

Ah, so the slow pace of that short preview is basically how the entire show is? The aliens invading earth + navy fighters + ships = Macross without transforming robots to me. Only in the military aspect of it I suppose.

I'll put it in the queue.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
14 years 6 months ago #6745

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Sentou Yousei YUKIKAZE

THEY DON'T INVADE EARTH. THEY ATTACKED IT ONCE BUT GOT PUSHED BACK AND LEFT BEHIND A WORMHOLE. AND EARTH FORCES TOOK ADVANTAGE OF THAT TO TAKE THE FIGHT TO THE STARS.

WHEN I WATCHED IT IT WAS FANSUBED. SO I AM NOT PRETTY CLEAR ABOUT THE STORY. WHAT I REMEMBER IS..
IN THE SCENE IN THE CLIP, THE "JAM" FOLLOW THE HEROES BACK TO EARTH AND TRY TO PREVENT THEM FROM GETTING FUEL. THE JAM ARE TRYING TO TAKE OUT THE AIRCRAFT CARRIER SINCE ITS EASIER THAN GOING AGAINST THE HOTSHOT PILOT OF THE AIRCRAFT.

IN SHORT, ITS ABOUT THE RELATIONSHIP OF AN A.I. AND A PILOT. THEY SEEMED TO FORM A BOND WHERE OTHER PILOTS HAVE FAILED AND DIED.

THIS A.I. IS MALICIOUS, IT TRANSFERS IT'S MIND TO ANOTHER AIRCRAFT BEFORE IT GETS DESTROYED IN ONE EPISODE.

NOTE
HG DID HIRE ONE OF THE CONTRIBUTING COMPANY'S TO YUKIKAZE, DR.MOVIE, WHICH WORK WAS FARMED OUT BY GONZO. I GUESS HG LIKED THE YUKIKAZE STYLE AND HIRED THEM.

WHEN YUKIKAZE CAME OUT I THOUGHT IT BEAT ZERO. BUT SETO IS RIGHT ABOUT THE ASPECTS OF THE STORY.
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
14 years 6 months ago #6748

• Seto-Kaiba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Seto-Kaiba on topic Re:Sentou Yousei YUKIKAZE

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

THIS A.I. IS MALICIOUS, IT TRANSFERS IT'S MIND TO ANOTHER AIRCRAFT BEFORE IT GETS DESTROYED IN ONE EPISODE.

B-503's AI isn't malicious, it's just very, VERY smart, and much better at recognizing the Jam in disguise than humans are... and that it may also be a Jam.

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

HG DID HIRE ONE OF THE CONTRIBUTING COMPANY'S TO YUKIKAZE, DR.MOVIE, WHICH WORK WAS FARMED OUT BY GONZO. I GUESS HG LIKED THE YUKIKAZE STYLE AND HIRED THEM.

Actually, given the various remarks that've been made about why they chose DR Movie, it sounds more like cost was HG's only factor. Shadow Chronicles was a pathetic, low budget effort, even by DR Movie's already low standards.

DR Movie is a South Korean animation studio that specializes in tweening, animating the frames between the key animation that give the illusion of motion. The key animation and digital animation for Yukikaze were not done by DR Movie.
14 years 6 months ago #6751

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Sentou Yousei YUKIKAZE

SETO

B-503's AI isn't malicious, it's just very, VERY smart, and much better at recognizing the Jam in disguise than humans are... and that it may also be a Jam.

AH. THANKS. A JAM ITSELF? HMM.. DID NOT THINK OF THAT.

ARE THERE "GOOD JAM'S" I MEAN, I REMEMBER THAT AERIAL AIRCRAFT CARRIER AND AN INDIAN GUY. DANG SUBS, COULD NOT TELL VERY WELL WHAT WAS GOING ON.

even by DR Movie's already low standards.

DR Movie is a South Korean animation studio that specializes in tweening, animating the frames between the key animation that give the illusion of motion. The key animation and digital animation for Yukikaze were not done by DR Movie.

LOW STANDARDS?

TELL THESE GUYS WHO USE DR.MOVIE

www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/company.php?id=1175

Anime with which this company was involved

A-Girl (OAV) : Finish Animation, In-Between Animation
Angel Sanctuary (OAV) : In-Between Animation
Aquarion (TV) : Digital Paint, In-Between Animation
Aria the Animation (TV) : 2nd Key Animation, Digital Paint, Key Animation
Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto (TV) : Digital Paint, In-Between Animation
Batman: Gotham Knight (movie) : In-Between Animation, Ink & Paint
Black Cat (TV) : Background Art, In-Between Animation
Black Lagoon (TV) : In-Between Animation, Trace & Painting
Bleach (TV) : Background Animation
Bleach the Movie: Memories of Nobody : Backgrounds, In-Between Animation, Paint
Bleach: The Sealed Sword Frenzy (OAV) : Background Animation
Blood+ (TV) : Digital Paint, In-Between Animation
Blue Submarine No.6 (OAV) : In-Between Animation
Boogiepop Phantom (TV) : In-Between Animation, Ink & Paint, Key Animation
Cardcaptor Sakura Movie 2: The Sealed Card : Backgrounds, Inbetweener, Ink & Paint, Key Animation
Cardcaptor Sakura: The Movie : Inbetweener, Paint
(The) Cat Returns (movie) : Production Cooperation
(Le) Chevalier D'Eon (TV) : In-Between Animation
Claymore (TV) : Animation Production Coordination
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie : In-Between Animation, Tracing
Death Note (TV) : Background Art, Clean-Up Animation, In-Between Animation
Detective Conan: Conan and Heiji and the Vanished Boy (OAV) : Background Art
Detective Conan: Crossroad in the Ancient Capital (movie) : Backgrounds
Detective Conan: Magician of the Silver Sky (movie) : Backgrounds
Detective Conan: The Private Eyes' Requiem (movie 10) : Backgrounds
Devil Hunter Yohko (OAV) : In-Between Animation, Paint
Di Gi Charat (TV) : In-Between Animation
Di Gi Charat Nyo (TV) : In-Between Animation
Di Gi Charat Ohanami Special : In-Between Animation
(The) Diary of Anne Frank (movie) : Background Art, Finish Animation, In-Between Animation
Dokkiri Doctor (TV) : In-Between Animation
Eureka Seven (TV) : In-Between Animation
Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals (OAV) : In - Between Animation, Trace And Paint
Flame of Recca (TV) : Backgrounds
Fullmetal Alchemist: The Movie - Conqueror of Shamballa : Painting
Gad Guard (TV) : Background Art
Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo (TV) : 2nd Key Animation, In-Between Animation, Key Animation
Gantz (TV) : 2nd Key Animation, In-Between Animation, Paint
Gedo Senki (movie) : Animation Cooperation, Backgrounds Cooperation
Ghost Hound (TV) : In-Between Animation
Ghost in the Shell (movie) : In-Between Animation
Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence (movie) : In-Between Animation
Ghost Slayers Ayashi (TV) : In-Between Animation
(The) Girl Who Leapt Through Time (movie) : Digital Paint, In-Between Animation
(The) Gokusen (TV) : Clean-Up Animation, In-Between Animation
Golgo 13: Queen Bee (OAV) : In-Between Animation
Gungrave (TV) : Background Art, In-Between Animation, Key Animation
Gunslinger Girl (TV) : In-Between Animation
GUNxSWORD (TV) : Finish Animation
Gurren Lagann (TV) : In-Between Animation
Hellsing (TV) : Animation
(The) Heroic Legend of Arslan (OAV) : Animation
Immortal Grand Prix (TV 2) : Key Animation
Inuyasha the Movie 2: The Castle Beyond the Looking Glass : Background Art
Jin-Roh - The Wolf Brigade (movie) : In-Between Animation, Paint
Jubei-Chan 2: The Counter Attack of Siberia Yagyu (TV) : In-Between Animation, Paint
K.O. Beast (OAV) : Finish Animation, In-Between Animation
Kemonozume (TV) : Background Art, Digital Paint, In-Between Animation
Key the Metal Idol (OAV) : Backgrounds, Finish Animation, In-Between Animation
Kiba (TV) : Background Art, In-Between Animation
Kiss wa Me ni shite (OAV) : Finish Animation, In-Between Animation
Last Order Final Fantasy VII (OAV) : Animation Cooperation
Macross 7 the Movie: The Galaxy's Calling Me! : Animation Assistance
Macross Plus (OAV) : In-Between Animation
Major (TV) : In-Between Animation
Metropolis (movie) : Production Support
Michel (Korean TV) : Animation Production
Millennium Actress (movie) : In-Between Animation, Ink & Paint
Mōryō no Hako (TV) : Clean-Up Animation, In-Between Animation
Najica Blitz Tactics (TV) : Animation, Digital Painter
NANA (TV) : Background Art, In-Between Animation, Key Animation, Paint
Naruto the Movie: Legend of the Stone of Gelel : In-Between Animation
Nasu: Summer in Andalusia (movie) : Production Cooperation
Nineteen 19 (OAV) : Ink & Paint
Ningyo Hime Marina no Boken (TV) : Animation
Ninja Scroll (TV) : Associate Animation Production, Backgrounds
Ninja Scroll (movie) : In-Between Animation
Noein - to your other self (TV) : Digital Paint, In-Between Animation
Paprika (movie) : Background Art
Paradise Kiss (TV) : Background Art
Paranoia Agent (TV) : Background Art, In-Between Animation, Trace & Paint
Phantom Quest Corp. (OAV) : Inbetween Animation, Paint
Plastic Little (OAV) : Finish Animation
Pokemon 2000 - The Movie : Animation, Clean-Up Animation
Pokemon 3 - The Movie : In-Between Animation
Pokemon 4Ever (movie) : Animation Cooperation, Finish Animation
Pokemon Heroes - Latias & Latios (movie) : Animation Assistance
Pokémon: Lucario and the Mystery of Mew (movie) : Animation Assistance
Pokemon: The First Movie : Finish Animation, In-Between Animation
Pretear (TV) : Animation, Digital Painting, Key Animation
(The) Prince of Tennis: Two Samurais, The First Game (movie) : In-Between Animation
Reign: The Conqueror (TV) : Animation
Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles (U.S. OAV) : Animation Production
Saber Marionette J (TV) : Animation Co-production
SaiKano (TV) : Animation, Backgrounds, Finish Animation, In-Between Animation, Key Animation, Paint
Samurai 7 (TV) : In-Between Animation
Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars (TV) : Animation, Backgrounds, Finish Animation
Sonic X (TV) : Inbetween Animation, Paint
Stitch! (TV) : Animation Production Assistance
Sugar Sugar Rune (TV) : Background Art
Sword of the Stranger (movie) : In-Between Animation
Symphonic Poem: Jungle Emperor Leo (OAV) : Animation, Color
Tenamonya Voyagers (OAV) : In-Between Animation
Tenchi Muyo Movie 1: Tenchi in Love : Paint
Tenchi Muyo! Mihoshi Special : Inbetweener, Paint
Tenjho Tenge (TV) : Animation Cooperation
Tenjho Tenge: Ultimate Fight (OAV) : Animation Production Support
Tennis no Oujisama: Atobe Kara no Okurimono (movie) : Clean-Up Animation, In-Between Animation
Tokyo Babylon (OAV) : Animation Assistance
Tokyo Underground (TV) : Backgrounds
Top Secret ~The Revelation~ (TV) : Animation Cooperation, Background Art, Key Animation
Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE The Movie: Princess of the Birdcage Kingdom : In-Between Animation
Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations (OAV) : In-Between Animation
Urusei Yatsura: Always My Darling (movie) : Animation Assistance, Cel Painting Assistance
Vampire Hunter (OAV) : Associate Animation Production
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (movie) : Associate Animation Production
A Wind Named Amnesia (movie) : Paint
XxxHOLiC the Movie: A Midsummer Night's Dream : In-Between Animation, Paint
XxxHOLiC: Kei (TV) : In-Between Animation
Yu Yu Hakusho: Ghost Files (TV) : Finish Animation, In-Between Animation
Yukikaze (OAV)
14 years 6 months ago #6752

• Seto-Kaiba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Seto-Kaiba on topic Re:Sentou Yousei YUKIKAZE

Note that almost all of that is tracing and tweening, with a tiny bit of cel painting. Not key animation. Not digital animation. Quite a few of those shows are on the low end of the budget spectrum. I don't need to tell them DR Movie's a low-budget outfit, the reason so much animation is farmed out to Korean studios is because it's dirt cheap.

The bit about Yukikaze being a Jam is brought up a few times where Rei hallucinates Yukikaze having a Jam core where the cockpit is supposed to be.
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by Seto-Kaiba.
14 years 6 months ago #6757

Time to create page: 0.480 seconds