• SIGHUP
  • SIGHUP's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

The Final Countdown (1980) was created by SIGHUP

From imdb.com

An American nuclear aircraft carrier and its crew are caught in a classic dilemma when a supernatural storm sends them back in time just before the Japanese assault on Pearl Harbour. Written by Keith Loh {This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.}

The USS Nimitz, a modern-day nuclear aircraft carrier, is drawn through a time warp from 1980 to a couple days before the Japanese assault on Pearl Harbor, and the crew must decide whether to launch a preemptive strike against the incoming Japanese carrier fleet with their more advanced air wing, or allow history to take its course, which might not happen since they had rescued Senator Chapman, who disappeared shortly before the attack, from his death. Written by Jeff Cross {This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.}

It is 1980 and the USS Nimitz puts to sea off of Pearl Harbor for routine exercises. After encountering a strange storm and losing all contact with the US Pacific Fleet, nuclear war with the Soviet Union is assumed and the USS Nimitz arms herself for battle. However, after encountering Japanese Zero scout planes and finding Pearl Harbor filled with pre-World War II battleships, it is realized that the storm the Nimitz went through caused the ship to travel back in time: to December 6th, 1941. Written by Anthony Hughes {This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.}

I just found out about movie by searching for info on the F-14. Apparently this movie boosted the F-14 with the skull and cross bones into stardom.

The movie is slightly entertaining, dealing with time travel. The aircraft and carrier footage was more interesting to me, since the story seemed kind of meh. A little cheesy, but hey it is an 80's flick.

Martin Sheen's character mentions Einstein's theories of time and space also the grandfather paradox.

Like I mentioned, the movie is just okay. Its a little funny because when the F-14s were tailing the Japanese Zeros (airplanes) I was expecting for the things to transform into guardian mode.

Oh yes, just watched the Senator commandeer the helicopter by slapping one of the crew men. Then when they were attempting to disarm the Senator the gun went off, hit the gas tank exploding the helicopter. It was done in a cheesy manner.

All the flight footage of the VF-84s is worth tolerating the cheesyness.

Another edit just finished the movie

Ooooooooh what! I can't believe I didn't see the ending coming! Not to spoil it for would be watchers you'll see what I mean. I forgive the cheesyness now ha!
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
Last edit: 14 years 6 months ago by SIGHUP.
14 years 6 months ago #7031
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:The Final Countdown (1980)

I SAW THIS BACK IN THE DAY AND RENT IT A COUPLE OF TIMES.

YEAH, ONE GOOD MOVIE.

NOW I ONLY SEE IT IF I CATCH IT ON T.V.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
14 years 6 months ago #7040

• khoroshen
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Niin on aatos miunki vappaa
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by khoroshen on topic Re:The Final Countdown (1980)

Its an awesome movie! Used to have it on VHS!

F-14 vs. A6M's is a fun sequence in the movie!
14 years 6 months ago #7041

• Viper
  • Sentinal
  • Sentinal
  • Destroid Tomahawk Aficianado
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Viper on topic Re:The Final Countdown (1980)

I saw this flick way back in the '80's, when I was a kid. I liked it so much, I got the VHS, and promptly wore it out.

About a year ago, I found it on Amazon on DVD. Now, I come to find out there's a 2-disk collector's edition. ARGH!!!
Wrongfully Banned by MEMO1DOMINION on Robotech.com!

www.destroidslastdance.com
14 years 6 months ago #7043

• Macross_119
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet
  • Co-Commander of the 59th ComTOG (Charlie)

Replied by Macross_119 on topic Re:The Final Countdown (1980)

I remember this movie. I thought it was the shit when i was a young boy. Loved the Tomcats vs. Zeros sequence as well.
Co-Commander of the 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group, Charlie Company.
"I have the Body of a God...Budda.
Universal Torque Spec: Two Grunts and a Fart.
K.I.S.S.=Keep It Simple Stupid (builders motto)
Regular at Miriya's Bar and Grill.
Member of the A.k.L (Anti-kyle League)
14 years 6 months ago #7048

• Mark-Warlock
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer

Replied by Mark-Warlock on topic Re:The Final Countdown (1980)

It's funny that this thread is out.. cause I just watched this movie a couple nights ago. I really love this movie in spite of some of the cheese... though back when I first saw it as a kid I didn't see it that way. I'm a big fan of time travel movies so I really get into this one.... especially considering what SIGHUP eludes to.

Well old Jolly Rogers was alway famous though this movie really brought them to the fore front of the civilian image of the Naval Aviator.

I love the part where they let Senator Chapman use the radio... the look on his face when the person on the other end responded was priceless.
A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am I or are the others crazy? - Albert Einstein

Find Mark Warlock now on Facebook.
14 years 6 months ago #7050

Time to create page: 0.492 seconds