RT PC Sim

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • Last_Valk_Standing's Avatar Topic Author
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback
  • Thank you received: 2

RT PC Sim was created by Last_Valk_Standing

I have said it so many times on RT.com but when i get stuck on an idea for get about me dropping it lol. While i loved Battle Cry and still think about the "might have beens" with Crystal Dreams, I still see no attempt to really push a straight forward RT sim. I dont' mean an MMORPG either (although today if a game can't go MMORPG then it won't sell). It seems like games today are all built around the Arcade style of play. And personally i'm tired of it. I am a NASCAR fan, I loved my Nascar Racing series but after Papyrus and Sierra stopped and EA bought exclusive rights to NASCAR all the realism is gone, They are all arcade style and cartoonish. Same with Flight sims. Look at the Janes brand and look at the common Combat flight sims now. All arcade. Star Wars has alot of great games but same thing. If you could take the Rogue Squadron Graphics and apply it to the old X-WING and TIE fighter games it would be amazeing. But no they too are all FX and no real depth to the game play, aka arcade.

I would almost concider going to school for game programming just so i could make one. There is so much potential for a hard core game. a serious game that gives you full control, not this watered down stuff we see today. So many stories that could be told so many different ways for a smart Company to make alot of money. I'm in a mood over this as you can prolly tell.

Will the LAM land game titles? Yes you know it will. Will the LAM based games be "real" or "arcade"? given the market I don't think my chances are that good. :(
Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL
Huge fan of Attention On Deck website.

Official Reporter for MNN (Macross News Network LOL)
15 years 6 months ago #1794

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:RT PC Sim

If I remember correctly there are absolutely zero plans for any kind of game right now. Oh yes, this came from the Robotech Panel at this year's comic con 2008.

Chances are that any spin-off games from the movie will be made, but probably in the same interest as all those other games like X-MEN, THE HULK. Just quick money makers, so I would not hold my breath for a good game.

I like the SIM idea though.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
15 years 6 months ago #1800

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback

Replied by Last_Valk_Standing on topic Re:RT PC Sim

yeah i figured as much. It seems like no one out there makes games to really hold their own anymore. absolute shame.
Co-Commander, Vulture Flight 59th Combined Tactical Operations Group (Gamma Wing)

Member of AkL

15 years 6 months ago #1802

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback

Eh i'm pretty much just posting this out of frustration in general.

I can't help but wonder what it would be like to have a high quality RT based sim. With all the Mecha style games out there and the fact that they are deffinitly doing well (last i heard) it kills me that nothing has been done. There are vast possibilities of what can be done (I am ignoring all legal arguments for sanity's sake right now thank you) and it is truely a sad thing.

Most games out there today are arcade style and not very deep.

One of the nice things about games like that are they allow you to exploar and expand the known universe in a story. Too many of the few games that were made tried too hard to follow the main story line of the parent series. There are countless possibilities that can be choosen for such a venture.

With today's computing power and the brute force the FX chips are capable of such a program if done well could easily catch the interest of even non-macross/robotech fans.

Another issue is that many (Not all) of the existing games seem to focus primarily on the VTs. I love my VTs to be sure but there are just as many possibilities with other less flashy mecha like the ground bound units.

Heck at this point i'd even be happy with an RTS game based on RT.

I guess what it boils down to is that even if such a game would sell well (no legal arguments please) the facts stand that it will never happen. Sorry for venting here but somtimes it just kinda sucks that this branch of the series has been nearly ignored completely or treated without any serious respect from the company's who have made the games that are out now(excludeing Battlecry but it's still very arcadeish. :(

Member of AkL

14 years 2 months ago #9453

• Nikolay116
  • Micronian
  • Micronian
  • Real Deal
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Nikolay116 on topic Re:RT PC Sim

Well, all you say was clear to me 3-5 year ago already. I suggest you to start finally doing smth.

Also, regarding my game, do not think that it is also intrinsicly arcade. I try to build up slowly, step by step. It is a very typical mistake of newbies to start doing complecated gameplay from the beginning.(small video of what is coming
)

This is partly answers your question why many game are arcade: it is a lot easier to do them because it is well known how. More advance gameplay implies some research. Research is risky and takes money. Besides, I can assure you in game industry there are not that many "skilled" gameplay programmers who can figure out how to do this or that fast. This is why companies try not to risk.

Also, to be honest, Robotech franchise is not very popular now in comparison to Transformers or Battletech. It requires quite some investment to promote it.
14 years 2 months ago #9464

• Last_Valk_Standing
  • REF Member
  • REF Member
  • SDF-1 Shellback

There are a few VF-1s for Flight sim but not many are of any real quality.

Member of AkL

14 years 1 month ago #10712

Time to create page: 0.293 seconds