ANIME EXPO LOS ANGELES JULY 1-4, 2011

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re: ANIME EXPO LOS ANGELES JULY 1-4, 2011

AX and SDCC are the two big shows that HG attends each year IINM. Did I miss an update on the status of the RPG and where was the 1/100 Valks Toynami was showing off a couple of months ago?

Speaking of Toynami, why haven't they said anything about experiencing shipping problems? It appears sites selling the Light Artillery Battlepod still have it listed for a July release. Were any of their other toys affected?
It'd be funny if they haven't even made them yet :laugh: j/k :)

HG's new slogan should be "Maybe next year?" :P

Oh, someone ask about video games, Tommy, or was it Kevin?, said WBs has the rights to games and something about a LAM tie-in.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
12 years 10 months ago #17031

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• blackconvoy_D01
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by blackconvoy_D01 on topic Re: ANIME EXPO LOS ANGELES JULY 1-4, 2011

I have searched everywhere for some positive feedback on this event. I have found one. It's mostly bad all around.
My appreciation pics page:
www.flickr.com/photos/26350372@N04/
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by blackconvoy_D01.
12 years 10 months ago #17033

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • MEMO1DOMINION's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: ANIME EXPO LOS ANGELES JULY 1-4, 2011

Gubaba wrote:

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Memo? The lawsuits ended long ago, all appeals (from both sides) exhausted. Tommy said so himself in 2004.

LAWSUITS YES...WHATEVER TATSU AND BW HAVE ON THEIR OWN MAYBE NO. I CAN'T TELL YOU BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW. :huh:

Which brings us to...

I wonder why Tommy said they could "release Macross the Movie as a product" if they couldn't? That's just weird. Or dishonest, depending on how you look at it.

MAYBE AS TOYS AND SUCH. WHICH THEY DID DO. BUT NOT DISTRIBUTE THE MOVIE ITSELF SINCE THE RIGHTS ARE WITH ANOTHER DISTRIBUTOR. ANYONE KNOWS WHO THAT IS? AT LEAST TOMMY SAID THAT TATSU, BW, AND TOHO (DID I PRONOUNCE IT RIGHT?) GAVE IT TO ANOTHER COMPANY.

Troubleman245 wrote:

Sorry, I don't understand re-importing the same comics (that was translated in a different language) that your company exported to China. Will the books be translated back to English or be sold as is in the RT.com store?

AND

ps99041 wrote:

I believe they'll be in Chinese as it would require more money to change the publication back into english and during this worldwide economic slowdown this wouldn't be accetpable. Moreover, they always make it sound like only "limited" copies will be available for sale which would support the fact that a case of graphic novels was just diverted to the US instead of China. I'm just wondering how they can get comics from China here but not the battlepods?

THE TPB ARE MADE IN CHINA. AND SINCE DC OR WILDSTORM STILL HAVE THE RIGHTS IT WON'T BE IN ENGLISH. UNLESS HG STRIKES A DEAL WITH THE RIGHT HOLDERS OF THE COMIC OR TILL THE RIGHTS RUN OUT.

THE TPB WERE MADE A WHILE BACK, SO THEY PROBABLY HAVE A BIGGER CHANCE GETTING IN STATES SIDE. THE PODS OF COURSE JUST LEFT THE FACTORY AND WAITING AT THE DOCKS FOR SHIPPING.

BEST UPDATE THERE IS.

rtsurfer wrote:

AX and SDCC are the two big shows that HG attends each year IINM. Did I miss an update on the status of the RPG and where was the 1/100 Valks Toynami was showing off a couple of months ago?

COMIC CON IS IN 2 WEEKS. I'LL BE THERE RECORDING AS WELL. I THINK SOMETHING WAS MENTIONED OF THE RPG BUT FORGOT.

Speaking of Toynami, why haven't they said anything about experiencing shipping problems? It appears sites selling the Light Artillery Battlepod still have it listed for a July release. Were any of their other toys affected?
It'd be funny if they haven't even made them yet :laugh: j/k :)

NOT SURE.. :(

Oh, someone ask about video games, Tommy, or was it Kevin?, said WBs has the rights to games and something about a LAM tie-in.

YES, WB HAS THE RIGHTS TO MAKE THE VIDEO GAMES AND IT WOULD BE A RLAM BASED GAME.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
12 years 10 months ago #17037

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: ANIME EXPO LOS ANGELES JULY 1-4, 2011

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

Gubaba wrote:

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, Memo? The lawsuits ended long ago, all appeals (from both sides) exhausted. Tommy said so himself in 2004.

LAWSUITS YES...WHATEVER TATSU AND BW HAVE ON THEIR OWN MAYBE NO. I CAN'T TELL YOU BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW. :huh:

That's the thing...NO ONE seems to know. There's no news about it anywhere, and everyone I've asked here in Tokyo just gives me a puzzled look when I ask.

Maybe at San Diego, someone can ask Kevin for clarification...?

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

Gubaba wrote:

Which brings us to...

I wonder why Tommy said they could "release Macross the Movie as a product" if they couldn't? That's just weird. Or dishonest, depending on how you look at it.

MAYBE AS TOYS AND SUCH. WHICH THEY DID DO. BUT NOT DISTRIBUTE THE MOVIE ITSELF SINCE THE RIGHTS ARE WITH ANOTHER DISTRIBUTOR. ANYONE KNOWS WHO THAT IS? AT LEAST TOMMY SAID THAT TATSU, BW, AND TOHO (DID I PRONOUNCE IT RIGHT?) GAVE IT TO ANOTHER COMPANY.

Again here, at the four minute mark:

"We are able to release Macross the Movie as a product."

Again, it's a weird way to phrase it, but it doesn't seem to mean "We are able to release products based on Macross the Movie," but rather that they could release the movie itself.

At least, that's how I understand the phrase. Can anyone else come up with a plausible reading of that line...?
12 years 10 months ago #17042

• ps99041
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by ps99041 on topic Re: ANIME EXPO LOS ANGELES JULY 1-4, 2011

You're just not fluent enough in the language Harmony Goldese. Kind of like the way everyone misunderstood what "hiatus" meant in regards to SR as it's still in-active development. :) Best to try to have McKeevie translate for you which is why he does most of the talking nowadays.
12 years 10 months ago #17045

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

Gubaba wrote:

Again, it's a weird way to phrase it, but it doesn't seem to mean "We are able to release products based on Macross the Movie," but rather that they could release the movie itself.

At least, that's how I understand the phrase. Can anyone else come up with a plausible reading of that line...?

YEAH, I GET WHAT YOUR SAYING. I REALLY DON'T KNOW. DID SOMETHING CHANGED FROM 2004 TO 2011?

I THINK FINDING THAT TATSU HAD ALREADY GIVEN THE RIGHTS TO SOMEONE ELSE HAMPERED THAT IDEA OF RELEASING IT AS A PRODUCT.

WHICH WOULD BE THE CASE AS AN ANSWER IF ASKED IN PUBLIC.
12 years 10 months ago #17052

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

Gubaba wrote:

YEAH, I GET WHAT YOUR SAYING. I REALLY DON'T KNOW. DID SOMETHING CHANGED FROM 2004 TO 2011?

I THINK FINDING THAT TATSU HAD ALREADY GIVEN THE RIGHTS TO SOMEONE ELSE HAMPERED THAT IDEA OF RELEASING IT AS A PRODUCT.

WHICH WOULD BE THE CASE AS AN ANSWER IF ASKED IN PUBLIC.

I don't think anything changed from 2004 to 2011, except maybe Tommy's understanding of the situation.

Back in 1999 or 2000, Robert Woodruff, head of AnimEigo, looked into releasing DYRL along with SDFM TV, but he said the problem was that the movie had been licensed to several small companies in the '80s and early '90s, all of which had since gone out of business and sold off their assets. As such, no one knew who owned the rights to the movie.

Now it seems to me that if that's the case, there's a pretty obvious way for HG to find out who has the rights...just put an ad in the trade magazines saying "COMING SOON: MACROSS - DO YOU REMEMBER LOVE!!" The rights holder(s) should come out of the woodwork quite soon. And if no one comes out...well, then, there you are. Make the DVDs.

(This, by the way, is how the producers of "Friday the 13th" tested the waters to see if anyone else owned the rights to the name...and I think ADV pulled a similar stunt to find out who owned the rights to Gatchaman.)

So, anyway, my point is that perhaps, in 2004, Tommy THOUGHT they could release the movie...only to find out later that it wasn't going to be that easy. That's my charitable answer, anyway.
12 years 10 months ago #17056

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re: ANIME EXPO LOS ANGELES JULY 1-4, 2011

Seriously? In my opinion they have tried to make us think HG has all sorts of Macross rights for years now but where is the Macross stuff beyond the original series and the DYRL toys? I think HG would have relased DYRL years ago if they had the rights to do so but they apparently don't. As for the DYRL toys, I seem to recall a post-con Q&A back around 2004 where Tommy said something about HG making a deal allowing them to sell DYRL merchandise, of course he went on about it was just to reinforce the rights they already had IIRC.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
12 years 10 months ago #17057

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

rtsurfer wrote:

Seriously? In my opinion they have tried to make us think HG has all sorts of Macross rights for years now but where is the Macross stuff beyond the original series and the DYRL toys? I think HG would have relased DYRL years ago if they had the rights to do so but they apparently don't. As for the DYRL toys, I seem to recall a post-con Q&A back around 2004 where Tommy said something about HG making a deal allowing them to sell DYRL merchandise, of course he went on about it was just to reinforce the rights they already had IIRC.

Yeah, tat was all in the video I linked to above.

Interestingly (maybe), you can see both me and Khoroshen in the vid.

But yeah...I'm sure if they could release the movie, they would. They DO however, have indisputable rights to the name "Macross," alas...wich means no one else is gonna be releasing it either.
12 years 10 months ago #17058

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • Commander
  • Commander

Gubaba wrote:

I don't think anything changed from 2004 to 2011, except maybe Tommy's understanding of the situation.

Back in 1999 or 2000, Robert Woodruff, head of AnimEigo, looked into releasing DYRL along with SDFM TV, but he said the problem was that the movie had been licensed to several small companies in the '80s and early '90s, all of which had since gone out of business and sold off their assets. As such, no one knew who owned the rights to the movie.

Now it seems to me that if that's the case, there's a pretty obvious way for HG to find out who has the rights...just put an ad in the trade magazines saying "COMING SOON: MACROSS - DO YOU REMEMBER LOVE!!" The rights holder(s) should come out of the woodwork quite soon. And if no one comes out...well, then, there you are. Make the DVDs.

(This, by the way, is how the producers of "Friday the 13th" tested the waters to see if anyone else owned the rights to the name...and I think ADV pulled a similar stunt to find out who owned the rights to Gatchaman.)

HEHEHE.

LOOKS LIKE A NICE IDEA. PROBLEM IS, AT AX HE (TOMMY) SAID THE RIGHTS LIES WITH 3 COMPANY'S.. TATSU, BW, TOHO... I THINK THEY CAN GET AN OK WITH TATSU AND MAYBE TOHO TO RELEASE OR TRY TO RELEASE THE DVD,... BUT BW?

DON'T THINK SO.
Last edit: 12 years 10 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
12 years 10 months ago #17062

Time to create page: 0.520 seconds