ANIME EXPO LOS ANGELES JULY 1-4, 2011

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: ANIME EXPO LOS ANGELES JULY 1-4, 2011

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

LOOKS LIKE A NICE IDEA. PROBLEM IS, AT AX HE (TOMMY) SAID THE RIGHTS LIES WITH 3 COMPANY'S.. TATSU, BW, TOHO... I THINK THEY CAN GET AN OK WITH TATSU AND MAYBE TOHO TO RELEASE OR TRY TO RELEASE THE DVD,... BUT BW?

DON'T THINK SO.

Wait...doesn't BW have the "in-Japan" rights, and Tatsunoko has the "rest-of-the-world" rights?
12 years 10 months ago #17067

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Thank you received: 0

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re: ANIME EXPO LOS ANGELES JULY 1-4, 2011

Gubaba wrote:

Wait...doesn't BW have the "in-Japan" rights, and Tatsunoko has the "rest-of-the-world" rights?

I would have thought so considering Tatsunoko appears to have been heavily involved in the production of DYRL. Who knows, though, it could be the holdup is on our end from the Space Fortress Macross dub made in the 80s.
12 years 10 months ago #17071

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Brooklyn Red Leg wrote:

Gubaba wrote:

I would have thought so considering Tatsunoko appears to have been heavily involved in the production of DYRL. Who knows, though, it could be the holdup is on our end from the Space Fortress Macross dub made in the 80s.

It has nothing to do with how involved who was, and everything to do with what contract the two companies agreed to. Again, watch the video I linked to above. Everything I'm saying is kinda based on it.
12 years 10 months ago #17073

• MEMO1DOMINION
  • MEMO1DOMINION's Avatar Topic Author
  • Commander
  • Commander
  • Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: ANIME EXPO LOS ANGELES JULY 1-4, 2011

HMMM... NEW GROUNDS TO COVER.

HG HAS THE RIGHTS TO SDFM TV SERIES. BUT NOT DYRL SINCE THEY ARE WITH SOMEONE ELSE.

BROOK BRINGS SOMETHING UP AS WELL.

UNLESS HG IS NOT INTERESTED IN DYRL AS A DVD DISTRIBUTION. I WONDER IF THEY CAN BUY THE ONLINE VIEWING RIGHTS SINCE IT IS A DIFFERENT MEDIA THEN BACK IN THE DAY WHEN DYRL WAS A DIRECT TO VIDEO BY ANOTHER DISTRIBUTOR OR RIGHTS HOLDER AND PUT IT UP THAT WAY.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
12 years 10 months ago #17082

Replied by Troubleman245 on topic Re: ANIME EXPO LOS ANGELES JULY 1-4, 2011

I always felt that TOHO pictures had the international distribution rights to DYRL. Even in the Space Fortress & Clash dubs the TOHO pictures logo comes up and DYRL is still listed as a TOHO production.
12 years 10 months ago #17083

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re: ANIME EXPO LOS ANGELES JULY 1-4, 2011

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

HG HAS THE RIGHTS TO SDFM TV SERIES. BUT NOT DYRL SINCE THEY ARE WITH SOMEONE ELSE.

UNLESS HG IS NOT INTERESTED IN DYRL AS A DVD DISTRIBUTION. I WONDER IF THEY CAN BUY THE ONLINE VIEWING RIGHTS SINCE IT IS A DIFFERENT MEDIA THEN BACK IN THE DAY WHEN DYRL WAS A DIRECT TO VIDEO BY ANOTHER DISTRIBUTOR OR RIGHTS HOLDER AND PUT IT UP THAT WAY.

didnt they want DYRL to be a Robotech movie once?

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
12 years 10 months ago #17094

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re: ANIME EXPO LOS ANGELES JULY 1-4, 2011

Biollante wrote:

MEMO1DOMINION wrote:

I believe there's an account of HG/Carl Macek wanting to release DYRL as a Robotech movie in N.Amer but Tats or BW, someone told them no because they intended to eventually release it themselves as a Macross motion picture here. So HG proceeded to work on what became RT The Movie/Untold Story. I don't think anyone involved with HG at the time has ever confirmed this story and since then someone from HG claimed it was untrue.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
12 years 10 months ago #17095

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

rtsurfer wrote:

Biollante wrote:

I believe there's an account of HG/Carl Macek wanting to release DYRL as a Robotech movie in N.Amer but Tats or BW, someone told them no because they intended to eventually release it themselves as a Macross motion picture here. So HG proceeded to work on what became RT The Movie/Untold Story. I don't think anyone involved with HG at the time has ever confirmed this story and since then someone from HG claimed it was untrue.

On his ANN interview, Carl Macek said that yeah, they did want to get DYRL, but they couldn't get the rights to it. He didn't go into details about why not.
12 years 10 months ago #17099

Replied by Troubleman245 on topic Re: ANIME EXPO LOS ANGELES JULY 1-4, 2011

In one of those con vids (AOD or Anime Expo) Carl when asked about eventually releasing his true vision of Robotech the Movie he said that DYRL is the true RT the movie. So that confirms he was at least planning on releasing it as Robotech. I got the impression it was just too expensive to get. They went through a similar problem when they tried to obtain the rights to Captain Harlock Endless Road SSX. HG already had the the original Space Pirate show and wanted the Harlock SSX to run with that series. Toei wanted top dollar so eventually they used Queen Millenium.
12 years 10 months ago #17103

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Troubleman245 wrote:

In one of those con vids (AOD or Anime Expo) Carl when asked about eventually releasing his true vision of Robotech the Movie he said that DYRL is the true RT the movie. So that confirms he was at least planning on releasing it as Robotech. I got the impression it was just too expensive to get. They went through a similar problem when they tried to obtain the rights to Captain Harlock Endless Road SSX. HG already had the the original Space Pirate show and wanted the Harlock SSX to run with that series. Toei wanted top dollar so eventually they used Queen Millenium.

"Top dollar" to HG is probably "quite cheap" to anybody else...
12 years 10 months ago #17105

Time to create page: 0.444 seconds