The Super Dimension Fortress Macross television series gets BD boxset.

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: The Super Dimension Fortress Macross television series gets BD boxset.

Mav, can you tell me where I said that what I'd heard about AnimEigo was fact?

And I've been patiently waiting for MANY answers from from you over the years. But that's the problem, I ask a question, you run away and don't answer it. So again...you first. :P

The thing I find sad in all of this is that it took me all of two minutes to find three links showing that Macross Blu-ray was 1080p. I'm it didn't take Waters7 much longer, either.

However, neither you nor Memo could take the time to do the same. Instead, you prefer to spread misinformation. "Robotech World" could be a good, honest resource, but as it is, it's just a vehicle for half-truths and flat-out falsities.

It's disappointing, to say the least. But that's what happens, I guess, when one puts no effort into his endeavors.
11 years 8 months ago #19502

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 3

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: The Super Dimension Fortress Macross television series gets BD boxset.

Gubaba wrote;

Mav, can you tell me where I said that what I'd heard about AnimEigo was fact?

Well let me remind you then, it was post on the first page of this thread;

Gubaba wrote;

But really, from my understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong), HG really screwed AnimEigo over. AnimEigo wanted to restore Macross, HG gave them their masters (for a fee, of course), which were quite badly deteriorated. AnimEigo spent quite a bit of money (I don't know the actual figure, but I've heard it was in the millions) restoring the footage. AnimEigo wanted to do a dub. HG forbade it. AnimEigo released their subs-only set, and sold it for a year or so. Then HG yanked the license, gave it to ADV, allowed ADV to do a dub (and ADV released it, despite the fact that AnimEigo had released their version less than three years before), and then HG used the AnimEigo-remastered footage for Robotech Remastered, giving AnimEigo nothing in return.

Am I right about that?

Memo then asks;

WHO YOU SOURCING? LINKS MAN, LINKS.

You then answered memo with this Gubaba;

Well...the fact that you didn't outright deny it leads me to believe that I'm on the right track...

As for sources, It was mostly stuff that I read back in 2001~2004, either talking to people "in the biz" at cons, or reading articles (that are now mostly dead links).

Anyway, then, if I'm wrong...what happened? Why did AnimEigo give up a license that gave them a series "that was more popular than their wildest expectations"?

Do you have any facts that would explain this?

So Gubaba, when are you going to up the ante and post the one link that proves what you've said is right? ;)

Once again still waiting...
The Sergeant Hartman of Robotech.com
11 years 8 months ago #19506

• Gubaba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Gubaba on topic Re: The Super Dimension Fortress Macross television series gets BD boxset.

Let me bold a few things here:

"But really, from my understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong), HG really screwed AnimEigo over. AnimEigo wanted to restore Macross, HG gave them their masters (for a fee, of course), which were quite badly deteriorated. AnimEigo spent quite a bit of money (I don't know the actual figure, but I've heard it was in the millions) restoring the footage. AnimEigo wanted to do a dub. HG forbade it. AnimEigo released their subs-only set, and sold it for a year or so. Then HG yanked the license, gave it to ADV, allowed ADV to do a dub (and ADV released it, despite the fact that AnimEigo had released their version less than three years before), and then HG used the AnimEigo-remastered footage for Robotech Remastered, giving AnimEigo nothing in return.

Am I right about that?"

This is what people told me happened, this is what I read happened. I don't know if it's true, which is why I asked.

I don't have the slightest bit of interest in searching old sites and forums and threads, for some undefined purpose of yours.

And again, why are you asking me to adhere to standards that you don't follow yourself?

(This is the second time I've asked that, by the way. You must have missed it the first time.)
11 years 8 months ago #19507

Replied by MaverickLSC on topic Re: The Super Dimension Fortress Macross television series gets BD boxset.

Gubaba, Memo and I just want who your sources are?

You wrote;

As for sources, It was mostly stuff that I read back in 2001~2004, either talking to people "in the biz" at cons, or reading articles (that are now mostly dead links).

Memo basically asks the same question;

WHO YOU SOURCING? LINKS MAN, LINKS.

You haven't answered ethier of our questions? It's all we ask, ante up and provide us with the documentation or proof from those in your interviews in your Macross SpeakerPodcast.

If you won't answer to me, then answer memo's question.
11 years 8 months ago #19509

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: The Super Dimension Fortress Macross television series gets BD boxset.

Gubaba wrote:

This is what people told me happened, this is what I read happened. I don't know if it's true, which is why I asked.

DON'T KNOW IF ITS TRUE OR NOT. BUT WILL CHECK AROUND.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
11 years 8 months ago #19511

• Waters7
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Waters7 on topic Re: The Super Dimension Fortress Macross television series gets BD boxset.

I remember reading an article in Animerica about the (then) current state of Robotech and the Macross franchise in the US.
The article explains the whole fiasco behind the Toycom situation (and how the went to become Toynami) and how Animeigo was working in the remaster of SDF Macross for North America distribution.

Over at robotech.com there is this link that talks a little about the restoration made by Animeigo. As it turns out, the link they had from Animeigo that talks in depth about the restoration process from their end is no longer working. Alas, only the liner notes from the release is the only link that is currently working in the Animeigo website.

And by the way Mav, I hope you consider a career as a comedian as you sure are a funny man. ;)
11 years 8 months ago #19538

Waters7 wrote;

I remember reading an article in Animerica about the (then) current state of Robotech and the Macross franchise in the US.

The article explains the whole fiasco behind the Toycom situation (and how the went to become Toynami) and how Animeigo was working in the remaster of SDF Macross for North America distribution.

Which Animerica issue was that?

Waters7 wrote;

As it turns out, the link they had from Animeigo that talks in depth about the restoration process from their end is no longer working. Alas, only the liner notes from the release is the only link that is currently working in the Animeigo website.

The link is recovered here, stored for properity;

web.archive.org/web/20050206161858/http:...m/Products/MACROSS.t

Are you sure there's a link about the restoration process?

Waters7 wrote;

And by the way Mav, I hope you consider a career as a comedian as you sure are a funny man.

Not as funny as Big West borrowing Harmony Gold's ideas in making their latest Macross musical! ;)

Mav...
11 years 8 months ago #19546

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re: The Super Dimension Fortress Macross television series gets BD boxset.

GUBABA, SKIPPING THESE TWO GUYS AND ANSWERING YOU.

Gubaba wrote:

Let me bold a few things here:

"But really, from my understanding (and correct me if I'm wrong), HG really screwed AnimEigo over.

FALSE.
ANIMEIGO KNEW WHAT THEY WERE GETTING INTO WHEN THE DEAL WAS WORKED OUT BETWEEN THEM. THERE WERE SOME "RULES". (AND NO, WAS NOT TOLD WHAT THEY WERE)

MORE INFO
www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/macross-tv/boxset

When Harmony Gold licensed this restoration project to AnimEigo, they set some rules

AnimEigo wanted to restore Macross, HG gave them their masters (for a fee, of course), which were quite badly deteriorated. AnimEigo spent quite a bit of money (I don't know the actual figure, but I've heard it was in the millions) restoring the footage. AnimEigo wanted to do a dub. HG forbade it. AnimEigo released their subs-only set, and sold it for a year or so.

SOMEHWAT TRUE (DID NOT ASK ABOUT FEE) AND ALSO THAT HG GAVE ANIMEIGO TIME TO RELEASE THEIR VERSION FIRST BEFORE IT WENT TO ADV FOR THEIR VERSION. NOT SURE ON RELEASE DATES OF BOTH.

Then HG yanked the license, gave it to ADV, allowed ADV to do a dub (and ADV released it, despite the fact that AnimEigo had released their version less than three years before), and then HG used the AnimEigo-remastered footage for Robotech Remastered, giving AnimEigo nothing in return.

FALSE.

ANIMEIGO GOT WHAT THEY WANTED WHEN THEY FIRST SIGNED THAT DEAL. AN AMOUNT OF TIME TO SELL THE MACROSS DVD. 3 YEARS. ANIMEIGO KNEW THE DATES AND END DATE

SPOKE TO PEOPLE AS WELL ;)

ANIMEIGO GOT A HEAD START ON SELLING THE ANIMATION FIRST BEFORE HG.
Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
11 years 8 months ago #19551

IS THIS THE ARTICLE IN QUESTION FROM RT.COM?

Tea with Shin Kurokawa April 27, 2001

Shin shares with us about AnimEigo's upcoming DVD release of Macross

Shin Kurokawa is the head of production overseeing the Macross DVD release. He took some time out of his busy schedule to talk with us in detail about AnimEigo's restoration efforts:
www.robotech.com/news/viewarticle.php?id=13

Last edit: 11 years 8 months ago by MEMO1DOMINION.
11 years 8 months ago #19560

Well having a look at those BD screen captures over at Macrossworld makes me think the SDF Macross BD boxset are not worth it!

They still kept it at 1.33:1 aspect ratio which means that the original print was indeed basic 16mm film stock, much worse than Super 16mm film.

I understand CRT televisons had 1.33:1 aspect ratios and also TV's in those early 1980's had a resolution of only 720x480 which is perfect justifyable to utilize budget based regular 16mm film since it was going to be aired over television.

The sample capture is only 1440x1080 as it's cropped to the original SD aspect ratio.

Not sure if it's really worth it, especially since they decides to not tamper with the dust and grain.

The ADV films DVD release of Mospeada had the imperfections removed and it looks gorgeous!

www.robotech.com/news/viewarticle.php?id=165

I would say that this SDF Macross BD release is only a slight margin better than the ADV remastered SDF Macross DVD. Even with the 4x resolution improvement compared ADV's SDF Macross, what's the point if they kept in the dust and grains for the BD version and ADV worked vey hard in removing them from their SDF Macross DVD version.

I have a 55" 1080p HDTV, I don't mind the aspect ratio part of the BD release as that I can understand with most anime titles of that era being film that way for NTSC-J over the air broadcast. But atleast clean up the specks, dust and grain. Recolorizing only is not remastering!

Sorry, I'm keeping my Animego and ADV version DVD and passing the BD one.

Mav...
11 years 8 months ago #19571

Time to create page: 0.396 seconds