Major Influences...

• Thoth-Amon
  • Thoth-Amon's Avatar Topic Author
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet
  • Thank you received: 0

Major Influences... was created by Thoth-Amon

What were some of the things that Influenced you "toward" Robotech? Things, shows, toys, ect. You know the things that introduced you to Mecha that eventually lead you to Robotech. I'll start off with this. (things from before or around the time you first discovered RT or brought you back)

I had some cool Shogun Warrior toys growing up but now I have a bunch of broken parts :( At least I still have the comics :)
13 years 11 months ago #12282

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Replied by HashiNoUsagi on topic Re:Major Influences...

I'm not really a mecha fan. I never really watched shows with giant robots or even ones with planes or cars as a focus. I also didn't get into Robotech until Middle School in the late 90's. The storyline and characters are what interested in me Robotech. The mecha was cool, but it was never the main reason for me liking the series.

I do have shows that did sort of lead me up to Robotech. X-men was a big influence. I used to watch the cartoon and read some of the comic books growing up. That really got me more into action series. It showed that you can have a more sophisticated action series. Prior to that I really only watched more "girly" or gender neutral shows. Most of the time I watched more gender neutral shows.
Hasn't done anything stupid enough to get banned from any forum.....yet.
13 years 11 months ago #12285

• Thoth-Amon
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet

Replied by Thoth-Amon on topic Re:Major Influences...

HashiNoUsagi wrote:

I'm not really a mecha fan. I never really watched shows with giant robots or even ones with planes or cars as a focus. I also didn't get into Robotech until Middle School in the late 90's. The storyline and characters are what interested in me Robotech. The mecha was cool, but it was never the main reason for me liking the series.

I do have shows that did sort of lead me up to Robotech. X-men was a big influence. I used to watch the cartoon and read some of the comic books growing up. That really got me more into action series. It showed that you can have a more sophisticated action series. Prior to that I really only watched more "girly" or gender neutral shows. Most of the time I watched more gender neutral shows.

The mecha is was lured me in. the story was the hook, line and sinker. If RT didn't have giant robots and jet planes I most likely wouldn't have watched it when it first aired in the U.S.

I was around 12 years old and characters just didn't die in "cartoons" (except in Bambi) :( Here is another Influence...Voltron
13 years 11 months ago #12289

• Mark-Warlock
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Writer

Replied by Mark-Warlock on topic Re:Major Influences...

Thoth Amon wrote:

The mecha is was lured me in. the story was the hook, line and sinker. If RT didn't have giant robots and jet planes I most likely wouldn't have watched it when it first aired in the U.S.

I was around 12 years old and characters just didn't die in "cartoons" (except in Bambi) :( Here is another Influence...Voltron.

Well me... I actually saw the comics first. The first time I saw issue #1 with the SDF-1 on the cover I thought "WOW" then when I opened it and saw the first page... that was it!

Prior to that I'd watched shows like G.I. Joe, Transformers, Speed Racer, and Starblazers (which is the first cartoon I saw a main character die). Then of course there was Voltron, Bionic 6, Thunderbirds 2086, Captain Harlock, and the list goes on...

But Robotech really took root... I loved the Characters, the story line, the mecha and just the whole feel of the show. I watched it so much it was like I got to really know the characters. They were kinda like old friends... and even now.. when I get to missing my old friends.. I pop in the DVDs and there they are. And now... when I want to see my old friends in new adventures... I just write them myself.

Oh and Thoth Amon

I had the larger Voltron as a kid... and I still have my original small Voltron like you have pictured... They're great aren't they... :)
A question that sometimes drives me hazy; am I or are the others crazy? - Albert Einstein

Find Mark Warlock now on Facebook.
Last edit: 13 years 11 months ago by Mark-Warlock.
13 years 11 months ago #12294

• Thoth-Amon
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet

Mark Warlock wrote:

Thoth Amon wrote:

I was around 12 years old and characters just didn't die in "cartoons" (except in Bambi) :( Here is another Influence...Voltron.

Well me... I actually saw the comics first. The first time I saw issue #1 with the SDF-1 on the cover I thought "WOW" then when I opened it and saw the first page... that was it!

Prior to that I'd watched shows like G.I. Joe, Transformers, Speed Racer, and Starblazers (which is the first cartoon I saw a main character die). Then of course there was Voltron, Bionic 6, Thunderbirds 2086, Captain Harlock, and the list goes on...

But Robotech really took root... I loved the Characters, the story line, the mecha and just the whole feel of the show. I watched it so much it was like I got to really know the characters. They were kinda like old friends... and even now.. when I get to missing my old friends.. I pop in the DVDs and there they are. And now... when I want to see my old friends in new adventures... I just write them myself.

Oh and Thoth Amon

I had the larger Voltron as a kid... and I still have my original small Voltron like you have pictured... They're great aren't they... :)

I always wanted the large Voltron as a kid...but we were poor :( The small one is from when I was a kid and the large one I just picked up at the flea market for $5(missing two lion heads)

here is another influence...Thundercracker. I was so excited when I opened this for Christmas
13 years 11 months ago #12296

• Thoth-Amon
  • Academy Cadet
  • Academy Cadet

I was confused with this one as a kid. Who was copying who? even though this was a huge influence for me...

I had a beat up, broken, used one as a kid.(it got thrown away) The two pictured are the first of many more I hope :)
13 years 11 months ago #12300

• SIGHUP
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Admin this!
  • Thank you received: 32

Replied by SIGHUP on topic Re:Major Influences...

That is so cool that you still have the toys from your childhood. I have GI JOES and Ninja Turtles somewhere in an old Padres duffel bag in the closet.

The story and TV show brought me into Robotech.
--David Pena
SIGHUP
www.robotechx.com - a fandom based site | RIP Carl Macek (1951-2010)
13 years 11 months ago #12301

Replied by HashiNoUsagi on topic Re:Major Influences...

Thoth Amon wrote:

I was around 12 years old and characters just didn't die in "cartoons" (except in Bambi) :(

It was anime, so that initially drew me in. Even if it wasn't anime I probably would have be drawn into it. At that time I was always looking for new shows to watch. Breetai was the second thing that drew me in.

My brother used to have a lot of random action figures. Some of them came from shows that aired before either of us were born or when we were young. I think most of them belonged to my cousin (who I think is about 10-15 years older than me). (If not, then they were picked up at garage sales.) One of them was Breetai. We had no idea where he was from and if he was good or bad. When I started watching Robotech, I saw him and freaked out. I went through my brother's closet to find the toy and I hijacked it. It was interesting to see the real personality behind a toy I used to play with when I was younger.
Hasn't done anything stupid enough to get banned from any forum.....yet.
13 years 11 months ago #12302

• LadyGrimes
  • Robotech Master
  • Robotech Master
  • Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy!
  • Thank you received: 947

Replied by LadyGrimes on topic Re:Major Influences...

HashiNoUsagi wrote:

Thoth Amon wrote:

I was around 12 years old and characters just didn't die in "cartoons" (except in Bambi) :(

It was anime, so that initially drew me in. Even if it wasn't anime I probably would have be drawn into it. At that time I was always looking for new shows to watch. Breetai was the second thing that drew me in.

My brother used to have a lot of random action figures. Some of them came from shows that aired before either of us were born or when we were young. I think most of them belonged to my cousin (who I think is about 10-15 years older than me). (If not, then they were picked up at garage sales.) One of them was Breetai. We had no idea where he was from and if he was good or bad. When I started watching Robotech, I saw him and freaked out. I went through my brother's closet to find the toy and I hijacked it. It was interesting to see the real personality behind a toy I used to play with when I was younger.

That's an interesting story hashi =P unfortunately for myself, the only toys I ever had growing up were a bunch of toy dinos (mainly from jurassic park) Aliens, Godzilla & co and the occasional barbie I got for christmas or my birthday and would destroy because I HATED dolls. I do have the matchbox miriya, I ordered it off ebay NOT knowing what it really looked like as the seller was a sneaky bastard and uploaded a small description pic of it. But despite the quality of the toy, I always wondered what it would have been like back then to see these robotech toys in local stores and what it would have been like to play with them then ;)
knowing I hate dolls, I probably would have tortured the minmei barbie doll they had back then XD
the rick hunter doll looked lulzy too.. and don't get me started on the Dana doll lmao
well quality wise, they're about as crappy as the sailor moon dolls I used to see in my favorite video store
back in the day.

Thank you @AB for my adorable new avatar! <3
13 years 11 months ago #12304

• khoroshen
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Niin on aatos miunki vappaa
  • Thank you received: 1

Replied by khoroshen on topic Re:Major Influences...

Thoth Amon wrote:

What were some of the things that Influenced you "toward" Robotech? Things, shows, toys, ect. You know the things that introduced you to Mecha that eventually lead you to Robotech. I'll start off with this. (things from before or around the time you first discovered RT or brought you back)

Trying to deal with Post Traumatic Stress as a young child. To cut a very, very long story short.-as well as not to cause friction with a few people on here-

I got into Robotech and mecha shows in general, by first watching the original M.O.S.P.E.A.D.A on holiday. I could relate to the show and its story as a cartoon reflection of my time as a citizen on the Falklands. You could say I 'fell in love' lol, with Mint. My own strain of thinking was on the same ideals of Stick(Scott), vheremently hating Argentina(as a whole) and with no real provider to abait these feelings. The first time I watched the 3rd episode(introducing Jim, Yellow, and Houqet) seeing that legioss burst out, hovering, and battling, reminded me of ViF day.

I watched the show religiously throughout the early 80's untill I saw toys and a 'dubbed' version, and since then I have been a "Mospeada Purist" in the RT fandom realms. :silly:
13 years 11 months ago #12307

Time to create page: 0.417 seconds