Official artwork of ARK ANGEL by Tommy? was created by herobot

Official artwork by Tommy? :blink:

Who can explain,Thx.
13 years 4 months ago #13993

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Towgrin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Towgrin on topic Re:Official artwork of ARK ANGEL by Tommy?

It appears to be early concept art of the ship (appears to be based on the year it was drawn). It also appears to be totally scrapped, as it doesn't transform in the movie, and doesn't look like that in it as well. They may have also scrapped it, as Tommy has mentioned they have no intentions of doing "transformable ships", and this may have been done as concept art before making that decision.

Where did this come from? Is there a link or is this from the other thread on here? Is there any explanation of how it was found, or how it came to existence? Based on much of Tommy Yune's art (and I have much of the Robotech published stuff), that seems to be his signature, and his technique. Maybe the person who posted this up can fill us in, cause all I just said is some fact with some speculation to come to a logical description of what it is.
13 years 4 months ago #14001

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re:Official artwork of ARK ANGEL by Tommy?

Brooklyn Red Leg posted this art on another site recently, it was the first time I had seen it or even heard of its existence. IIRC, he provided no explanation of its origins, maybe its a fake but it does look like other work attributed to Tommy in the past.
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
13 years 4 months ago #14004

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Replied by Brooklyn-Red-Leg on topic Re:Official artwork of ARK ANGEL by Tommy?

Judge for yourself:

HG and Robotech Debates
13 years 4 months ago #14005

• Thank you received: 114

Replied by MEMO1DOMINION on topic Re:Official artwork of ARK ANGEL by Tommy?

FIRST TIME I SEEN AS WELL. BUT COUGH WIND OF IT FROM OTHERS ABOUT IT WHO SEEN IT IN MW. ACCORDING TO THEM IT SOUNDS LIKE TOMS STUFF IS STILL ROLLING AROUND OUT THERE.

THERE BEEN INCONSISTENCY OF HOW IT BECAME TO BE AT MW.

1.FIRST THAT IT WAS LEFT SOMETHING BEHIND AT SOME PLACE
2.THEN THAT THE IMAGE WAS THERE ALL THE TIME TO SCAN
ETC, ETC.

SO IT IS A HG PROPERTY AND TOMMY'S ORIGINAL CONCEPT ART. BUT YOU NEED TO GO TO THE ORIGINAL SOURCE OF THE "ROBOTECH WIKI LEAKS" TO FIND OUT THE DATE THEY HAD IT OR TO BATEMAN HIMSELF.

I SENT TOMMY EMAIL TO FIND OUT WHAT THE DEAL WITH THE IMAGE BUT NO ANSWER AS OF YESTERDAY.
"IF IT DOESN'T EXIST...BUILD IT"
13 years 4 months ago #14007

• Towgrin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Awww, after reading all that from the linked site, it seems like someone probably linked him to a photobucket, or website they opened to where he could get it. From what I gather, Bateman isn't a friend of Tommys. His statement hints that it is someone that Tommy is good friends with, and while that does leave it really vague, it would have to be a fan that Tommy does show that stuff to. That could still be quite a few people.

Also, while I have read stuff on the leaked Tommy proposed story and how that could damage his job at HG, this doesn't do that at all. Just merely shows a cool design that didn't make it to the movie. If this indeed was some conspiracy, a conspiracy of what? If anything, it shows some decent artwork (although still agreed that it was better to not transform).

Usually the simplest, most logical explanation is the easiest, and it looks like that guy JasonC got it from either a friend of Tommy's, or a contact. Nothing too complex about that, but I will continue reading all that and see if anything else can be grabbed from it. Thanks for the link Brookly Red Leg!

Edit: OK, got the clearer story from the full read. Apparently, someone that JasonC knew uploaded the pics somewhere, and he printed them out when they were downloaded. Then, when it seemed to take several days to put up the pic, it was because he had to look for the pics he downloaded, as the link was taken down and/or he lost the link. The image was rescanned and uploaded onto that site. It also seems like he has a pretty fair view of the pic.

I'm surprised that wasn't in the Art of Shadow Chronicles book.
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by Towgrin.
13 years 4 months ago #14008

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

Might as well show the other piece of artwork that surfaced a while back. I think it was Protoculture over at RDF HQ who found this for fandom. Nice to be able to finally tell what in the hell Tommy's 'Gamma Fighter' actually was in the end.

13 years 4 months ago #14009

• Towgrin
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Doesn't that look like the same type of mecha profile from the Ark Angel design? I mean, unless these guys are just really good artist, I'd say this is definitely Tommy's stuff. I do like that Gamma Fighter design. Why didn't they use that?
13 years 4 months ago #14010

Replied by rtsurfer on topic Re:Official artwork of ARK ANGEL by Tommy?

The SDF Colony art does resemble other blueprint like Tommy art in the comics, particularly in the TPBs (IINM) -- like the refit Tokogawa.
The Gamma art is a larger version of Tommy art they posted on rt.com a very, very long time ago to promote rt04/Shadow Force.

Leaving out the Gamma and hover cyclone helped contribute to my disappointment in Shadow Chronicles. I suppose (this is my opinion) Tommy might have been afraid to explore new ground, it was easier to reuse characters, mecha, and stories from TNG. Before someone points out the Haydonites, yeah I know they introduced new mecha and ships but really was any of their stuff all that impressive?

That raminds me of a question I had, which designs came first-- the Haydonite mecha in SC or the Vaija in Frontier?
"rtsurfer's two cent..." ;O)

rtsurfer's ROBOTECH archive
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by rtsurfer.
13 years 4 months ago #14013

• Brooklyn-Red-Leg
  • Veritech Fighter
  • Veritech Fighter

rtsurfer wrote:

That raminds me of a question I had, which designs came first-- the Haydonite mecha in SC or the Vaija in Frontier?

The Haydonites by a few years. Shadow Chronicles was released in 2006. Frontier in 2008.

www.robotech.com/news/viewarticle.php?id=281
Last edit: 13 years 4 months ago by Brooklyn-Red-Leg.
13 years 4 months ago #14015

Time to create page: 0.551 seconds