Gundam

• Thank you received: 13

Replied by Protoculture on topic Re:Gundam

Mobile Suit Gundam: MS IGLOO: The Hidden One Year War (OVA, 3ep)
Mobile Suit Gundam: MS IGLOO 2: the Gravity Front (OVA, 3ep)
Mobile Suit Gundam (TV, 49ep OR 3 movies)
Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team (OVA, 12ep OR 1 movie)
Mobile Suit Gundam: MS IGLOO: Apocalypse 0079 (OVA, 3ep)
Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (OVA, 6ep)

Well, that's how I was converted to MS Gundam UC fan.

I particularly liked the MS 08th MS Team, MS Igloo I & II, War in The Pocket.

As for other alternate Gundam-verse, I'll be checking on Gundam 00 & Turn A Gundam. Heard them pretty interesting as compared to other alternate Gundam series.
14 years 6 months ago #6935

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Seto-Kaiba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Replied by Seto-Kaiba on topic Re:Gundam

If you're going to start Turn-A Gundam, be advised that it's a bit confusing, on account of its unique position as an attempt to unify the pre-Cosmic Era Gundam universes.

Also, if you've already seen New Mobile Report Gundam Wing, Mobile Suit Gundam 00 is going to seem VERY familiar... it's basically a retread of Gundam Wing's premise, but unlike Wing they're not totally phoning it in.
14 years 6 months ago #6936

If you're going to start Turn-A Gundam, be advised that it's a bit confusing, on account of its unique position as an attempt to unify the pre-Cosmic Era Gundam universes.

Well, heard from scuttle butt that Turn A can fit into any post UC & alternate Gundam series as well.

Plus, its an original story on its own & not some damned rehash of MS Gundam unlike the pimp Seed & Seed Destiny ....

Also, if you've already seen New Mobile Report Gundam Wing, Mobile Suit Gundam 00 is going to seem VERY familiar... it's basically a retread of Gundam Wing's premise, but unlike Wing they're not totally phoning it in

I've seen a couple of Wing series, can't stomach it. The only redeeming quality of Wing only the Gundam-Wing Movie version, now that I actually watched & liked.

Heard 00 have positive reviews with unique characters & ZERO outer-world colonies, which by far a plus for me. Despite Wing overtones, 00 actually kinda mimic real-world analogies & given that the hero is sort of anti-hero (aa former kid guerilla forced to kill his family due to flawed ideology), hell yeah!
14 years 6 months ago #6937

• Seto-Kaiba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Protoculture wrote:

Well, heard from scuttle butt that Turn A can fit into any post UC & alternate Gundam series as well.

Not quite... what the official artbooks and whatnot have to say on the matter is that the Correct Century starts about 3000 years or so after UC 0100, and the other timelines (the Future Century, After Colony, and After War) also occur in that space prior to the Correct Century.

Protoculture wrote:

Plus, its an original story on its own & not some damned rehash of MS Gundam unlike the pimp Seed & Seed Destiny ....

Yeah, Gundam SEED and Gundam SEED Destiny were essentially the One Year War and a few other Universal Century conflicts rehashed and dumbed down for younger audiences.

Protoculture wrote:

Heard 00 have positive reviews with unique characters & ZERO outer-world colonies, which by far a plus for me. Despite Wing overtones, 00 actually kinda mimic real-world analogies & given that the hero is sort of anti-hero (aa former kid guerilla forced to kill his family due to flawed ideology), hell yeah!

I wouldn't go so far as to call the characters "unique"... the main character, Setsuna F. Seiei, has almost the exact same backstory as Full Metal Panic's Sousuke Sagara, and the general personality of Gundam Wing's Heero Yuy. A lot of them are just more mature, humorous, and likable versions of Gundam Wing characters.

There are also space colonies in Gundam 00, but only a few... and they don't play a big role in the story.
14 years 6 months ago #6948

• Thank you received: 0

Replied by Richardmvela on topic Re:Gundam

I am a major Gundam fan and it is my favorite anime Franchise. To make things easy for Stateside fans, I will list the series that have been released here.

Universal Century (Original Universe that started it all)

Mobile Suit Gundam
08th MS Team
0080:War in The Pocket
0083:Stardust Memory
Zeta Gundam(One of the best anime series and series of anything ever made)
Char's Counter Attack (Wraps up all the prior series)
Gundam F-91(was originally going to be series but became a movie and is continued in various manga, you can skip this one)
G Saviour(No longer recognized as official, live action failure at Gundam)

MS Igloo and The Original Series compliation/Movie Trilogy were released here however not in dubbed format. Igloo tends to be very hard to find, mainly available online but is rather expensive.

Future Century-

G Gundam(Iamagine DBZ but the robots instead of saiyans)

After Colony Era-

Gundam Wing
Endles Waltz Movie

These were very popular and helped bring the wave of anime in late 90's and early 2000's

Cosmic Era-

Gundam Seed
3 Gundam Seed Movies
Gundam Seed Destiny
Destiny Final Plus(Extended 45 minute dvd with added footage to final episode of Destiny to help fix some things)
4 Destiny Movies

Anno Domini

Gundam 00

All the others have not been released here in the states and most of these series can be bought in Bandai's "Anime Legends" box sets for ~$35 and usually have 1/2 the series in each box. Some of the shorter series such as 08th MS Team,War in the Pocket, and Stardust Memory have the whole series in their boxsets. 08th MS Team also had a movie called Miller's Report which explained things between certain episodes and it is also included in the box set of the series.

I recomend watching these as you see fit. You will easily fall for them. Some you make like more than others, Personally G Gundam did nothing for me but people love it, I also enjoyed Seed and Destiny but people hate or worship them. Just depends. Welcome to the fandom.
Resisting Gravity's Pull on Our Souls!
14 years 6 months ago #6958

Replied by treiz on topic Re:Gundam

Edit: Saw the ad for it again. Apparently the name of the album is: Gundam Rocks

TWO Mix also did a 2 disc remix album of their Gundam Wing songs, one in Japanese, the second had the songs translated into english. It's called "BPM Cube"

if you've already seen New Mobile Report Gundam Wing, Mobile Suit Gundam 00 is going to seem VERY familiar...

It's funny, but I actually think that SEED and Destiny are closer to Wing than 00 ever came. SEED lifted several elements from Wing with almost no change, where as 00 seemed to start out Wing-ish then go off in a completely different direction.
14 years 6 months ago #6965

• Seto-Kaiba
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

treiz wrote:

It's funny, but I actually think that SEED and Destiny are closer to Wing than 00 ever came. SEED lifted several elements from Wing with almost no change, where as 00 seemed to start out Wing-ish then go off in a completely different direction.

You might be on to something there, but my ultimate point was that Gundam 00 is going to seem very familiar to one who's already seen Gundam Wing, on account of the very Wing-esque start and several themes.
14 years 6 months ago #6967

Seriously, I like UC's One Year War period with a passion. In more or less of one year period, it can churned out many unique individual stories with twists of its own.

Sure Sunrise milked One Year War like there's no tomorrow, but hey, as long as there good human stories that can be told from that brief era, why not!

When I watched MS Igloo I & II, I was taken aback, as I thought no more stories apart from War in The Pocket & Gundam 08th MS Team & even Stardust put a closure to One Year War.

Watching Igloo series is like watching old WW-2 themed movies, which is a plus for me.
14 years 6 months ago #6971

Replied by treiz on topic Re:Gundam

OYW was ok, I think the stories in general were a bit too heavy handed and simplified. 0083 and 08th MS Team are stand outs.

I prefer Wing above the rest, I only wish that Sunrise hadn't been so utterly cheap with the animation, though they made up for it with Endless Waltz.
14 years 6 months ago #7236

Replied by UEG_Productions on topic Re:Gundam

The First Minutes of Unicorn Gundam Ova got to youtube

Looks great.. Cant wait for the release this weekend.

UC is back...
Last edit: 14 years 2 months ago by UEG_Productions.
14 years 2 months ago #10060

Time to create page: 0.476 seconds